axlaxl

I-129f required birth certificate of petitioner?

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm a new VJ member. I submitted k1 petition a few days ago and got paranoid about what I submitted after asking around about the documents to submit. Please share what you know to answer my questions below. Much appreciated.  I'm the petitioner, born in Vietnam, naturalized USC filing K1 petition for my fiancee in Vietnam.

1/ As proof of USC, I only sent in naturalization cert and passport (not all pages just info page with signature n 1 page with custom stamps). I did not include my birth cert. Will I get RFE for missing this doc? I heard people get RFE for not submitting BC. 

2/ Will I need to send my own BC to my fiancee for the interview in HCMC?

3/ Regarding passport, mine will expire in 3 years which is less than 5 years which is required in i129 f instruction. Will I get RFE for this?

4/ I only sent in 1 copy of passport photo of me, my fiancee and her son based on i129f instruction revised on November 2018. I read that people submitted 2 copies because of the requirement? Did I misread the instruction somehow?

5/ I read on the news recently that if the petitioners forget to submit any kind of required document (both written n unwritten instructions) uscis has the right to reject the petition outright without issuing RFE. Is this true?

Any input is appreciated.  

Q1. Copy of the Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport issued with a validity of at least 5 years or a copy of the US Citizen's naturalization certificate (front and back). This is used to establish citizenship.

Q2. Confir with your embassyembassy's P3 letter. 

Q3. You need 6 months of validity to your passport when you receive.  3 years is plenty so no need to update. No RFE.

Q4. Submit only what the instructions call for. Nov2014 I129F required 2.

Q5. That's old news and does not impact a i29f whereby you followed the instructions for the subsubmittal. 

Most i29f applications are clear of outright denial. Most who are missing information  are offered a RFE to correct any deficiency.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Q1. Copy of the Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport issued with a validity of at least 5 years or a copy of the US Citizen's naturalization certificate (front and back). This is used to establish citizenship.

Q2. Confir with your embassyembassy's P3 letter. 

Q3. You need 6 months of validity to your passport when you receive.  3 years is plenty so no need to update. No RFE.

Q4. Submit only what the instructions call for. Nov2014 I129F required 2.

Q5. That's old news and does not impact a i29f whereby you followed the instructions for the subsubmittal. 

Most i29f applications are clear of outright denial. Most who are missing information  are offered a RFE to correct any deficiency.

The ALL pages of the passport instruction was eliminated over 2 years ago 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey just want to reassure you that the birth certificate is not needed if you have passport or cert of naturalization.

I was nervous as well because I had even less than you.  All I has was a passport and I was not going to shell out 500 bucks to get a copy of my Naturalization cert that I lost.  I had no issues with just my passport.  The reasoning behind this is you need a US birth cert OR cert of naturalization in order to get a US passport so any one of the three will prove you are a US citizen.

You should be AOK with what you submitted.

Good luck with your application!

2 hours ago, payxibka said:

The ALL pages of the passport instruction was eliminated over 2 years ago 

Directly  Taken from the guides here on vj

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

I submitted a copy of the data page of my passport with my I-129 and everything went fine.  I only sent copies of the pages that had stamps on them.

Spoiler

K1

I-129F Sent: 3/1/19

CSC Received: 3/7/19

NOA1: 3/12/19

NOA2: 5/30/19 (No RFE

NVC Received: 6/21/19

Case Number Assigned: 6/22/19

NVC Left: 7/9/19

Consulate Received: 7/11/19

Interview: 8/15/19

POE 8/31/19

MARRIED! (L) 11/1/19

AOS Sent: 2/18/20

AOS Delivered: 2/20/20

Text Notifications of AOS Received: 2/27/20

AOS NOA1 Hardcopies: 3/2/20

Biometrics Notice: 3/5/20

Biometrics Appointment: 3/19/20 (Rescheduled due to Covid-19 to 3/31/20. Rescheduled again for 9/1/20)

EAD Approval 7/27/20

AP Approval 7/27/20

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

**For the naturalization cert, I did not make a copy of the back and did not include 1 in the petition because it's a blank page. U think I will get RFE for this?

***i129f clearly states passport with validity of 5 years is required but greenbaum mentioned 6 month? I don't follow.

****Are petitioners allowed to correct RFE only 1 time or multiple times for the same mistake?

Timeline
1 minute ago, axlaxl said:

***i129f clearly states passport with validity of 5 years is required but greenbaum mentioned 6 month? I don't follow.

Your confusing two different requirements.  

YMMV

Timeline
41 minutes ago, axlaxl said:

Payxibka,

Can you perhaps elaborate on this?  What are the two different requirements regarding the passport validity do you mean?  Thanks.

For ID purposes the passport must have an original validity period of 5 or more years. 

For visa issuance to the beneficiary,  the passport must have at least 6 months of remaining validity or they won't issue the visa to that passport 

YMMV

Payxibka,

Thanks for clarifying that.  I guess I have no issue then.

Btw, do i need to copy the back of Naturalization Cert and submit it along with I129f?  I did not do that because there wasn't any info on the back.  And the instruction also didn't say I have to submit both front and back of naturalization cert.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
9 hours ago, TandClaudia said:

I submitted a copy of the data page of my passport with my I-129 and everything went fine.  I only sent copies of the pages that had stamps on them.

I did this exact same thing, no issue.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

6 hours ago, visafrompa said:

Lots of the information on this site is out of date or just wrong.  Dead links, 10+ year old threads... the K1 process hasn't changed much, but some of the required paperwork has.  

Agreed.  This is why I always advocate for people to use the optional checklist/instructions for the I-129f directly from the USCIS site.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.