lmegac

When should we apply for my new husbands Green Card/ Visa?

16 posts in this topic

We are both in our early 60's and have known each other for around 40 years, but have been a couple for 5 and got married in the USA on July 4th this year.  He is South African and I was born in the UK but became an American Citizen about 12 years ago.  We currently are working on contracts overseas, but want to retire in the USA where we have a home.  As we will only retire in 2 or 3 years time, when should we apply for him to reside in the USA?  He currently has a visa and we visit the USA one or two times a year.  We don't want to be forced to retire early if our work is going well.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Will you be able to sponsor him or do you have a joint sponsor lined up?

Presumably you have worked out how you will take care of Health care etc.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you have sufficient assets, the best time to apply is about a year and a half before he wants to come to the US.  

Otherwise the issue might become his being able to be in the US the majority of the time he has the green card if he and more importantly you are still working.

In either case the cost of affording healthcare is going to be a major issue that needs to be addressed.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

A year and a half before your retirement date is the time to start the process.  Since you, the US Citizen's income will stop, unless one or both of you will have ongoing income from some non-employment source, you would either need to qualify as sponsor based on assets or have a joint sponsor.  You're adults, so you know the practical aspects of living after retiring.  People have mentioned "healthcare".  You are not required to show evidence you have that in hand, as part of the immigration process.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

11 hours ago, Boiler said:

Will you be able to sponsor him or do you have a joint sponsor lined up?

Presumably you have worked out how you will take care of Health care etc.

Thank you for your reply.  I will be able to sponsor him, as I earn above the amount needed per year.  And currently we have international medical schemes due to our travel, so we are used to paying these types of premiums.  We will revert to USA premiums once back in the USA and hopefully they will be lower than what we currently are paying.  We will probably both work part-time or even full time when we first arrive in USA, so will hopefully have medical insurance through a company. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, lmegac said:

Thank you for your reply.  I will be able to sponsor him, as I earn above the amount needed per year.  And currently we have international medical schemes due to our travel, so we are used to paying these types of premiums.  We will revert to USA premiums once back in the USA and hopefully they will be lower than what we currently are paying.  We will probably both work part-time or even full time when we first arrive in USA, so will hopefully have medical insurance through a company. 

In your original post you said you were retiring and moving to the US, anyway I have a feeling Health cover in the US will be significantly more than you are paying now.

Good luck

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, lmegac said:

as I earn above the amount needed per year

Keep in mind that your income to sponsor him for a spousal visa will need to be US-based, any income earned abroad will not count at all for sponsorship.  You may have enough assets to qualify, review the I-864 and instructions for more information on what is required.  If you will have retirement benefits that will continue in the US when you retire there and stop working, that plus assets may be enough to be his sponsor, if not, you will need a joint sponsor in the US.  You'll also need evidence of a US domicile and also US tax returns for the most recent three years, US citizens need to file tax returns with the IRS based on their world-wide income, regardless of their country of residency.  You may have to move to the US without your husband to establish a US domicile and US income for a period of six months or so.  Good luck!

15 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Keep in mind that your income to sponsor him for a spousal visa will need to be US-based, any income earned abroad will not count at all for sponsorship.  You may have enough assets to qualify, review the I-864 and instructions for more information on what is required.  If you will have retirement benefits that will continue in the US when you retire there and stop working, that plus assets may be enough to be his sponsor, if not, you will need a joint sponsor in the US.  You'll also need evidence of a US domicile and also US tax returns for the most recent three years, US citizens need to file tax returns with the IRS based on their world-wide income, regardless of their country of residency.  You may have to move to the US without your husband to establish a US domicile and US income for a period of six months or so.  Good luck!

Thank you!  There are some things I never thought of in your comments.  I do submit US Tax returns each year with Worldwide income.  I will speak to my Financial Adviser and confirm that I am covered, but I am pretty sure I earn enough and will check out I-864, thank you so much for your time.  Much appreciated. 

18 hours ago, Boiler said:

In your original post you said you were retiring and moving to the US, anyway I have a feeling Health cover in the US will be significantly more than you are paying now.

Good luck

I am based out of USA but work on a contract overseas.  I currently pay in excess of $10,000 for medical insurance.

Timeline

That does sound like US costs, no doubt the scope of cover would be different.

18 hours ago, lmegac said:

Thank you!  There are some things I never thought of in your comments.  I do submit US Tax returns each year with Worldwide income.  I will speak to my Financial Adviser and confirm that I am covered, but I am pretty sure I earn enough and will check out I-864, thank you so much for your time.  Much appreciated. 

Except that your income is not US-based, and will not continue once here, so it will not qualify you as a sponsor.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:19 AM, Jorgedig said:

Except that your income is not US-based, and will not continue once here, so it will not qualify you as a sponsor.

My income is earned in Country A, but the funds are from Country B, but deposited deposited into my USA account.  Does that mean I am not paid in the USA?  Also if I had investments in the USA that were to pay me out monthly, would that count towards the amount I should earn in the USA?

On 8/14/2019 at 10:40 PM, Paul & Mary said:

If you have sufficient assets, the best time to apply is about a year and a half before he wants to come to the US.  

Otherwise the issue might become his being able to be in the US the majority of the time he has the green card if he and more importantly you are still working.

In either case the cost of affording healthcare is going to be a major issue that needs to be addressed.

Thank you.   

Timeline

As long as you can show that the income will continue once you move back to the US that is all that is required.

34 minutes ago, Boiler said:

As long as you can show that the income will continue once you move back to the US that is all that is required.

Thanks Boiler, we both will be able to show this, but more importantly, I will. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.