Aviculture1

Cell phone Usage While Traveling to the US

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Aviculture1 said:

My fiance is concerned about being able to contact me while traveling to the US from the Philippines is there such a thing as an international load that you purchase for your cell phone?

Is your fiance on Globe Prepaid or Postpaid?

You might find this link useful.

Your fiance needs to activate global/international roaming on the Philippine mobile network sim/account if it’s on prepaid; postpaid accounts have automatic roaming service.

Do subscribe to a roaming data/SMS package as backup in case there’s no reliable wifi connection at the airport. You will need a regular load in the Philippines to activate the said roaming service. 

Data roaming to keep in touch via WhatsApp, Viber or Messenger and also an option to send you an SMS directly, just make sure your fiance has your complete mobile number with the +1-xxx-xxxxxxx format.

Edited by AndreaPerkins
Added info

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

As suggested use FB messeger, VIBER or such  over free WIFI at the airport

No you do not.. SIM card has nothing to do with WIFI

You are correct.  I (and my wife) when getting a new phone activated, we keep our old phone and use them for wifi browsing  at home.  Without a load, the only thing one can not do is make a phone call, unless it's VOIP.

I can’t edit or delete my previous post. I need to add more information.

@Aviculture1

Is your fiance on Globe Prepaid or Postpaid?

You might find this link useful.

Your fiance needs to activate global/international roaming on the Philippine mobile network sim/account if it’s on prepaid; postpaid accounts have automatic roaming service.

Do subscribe to a roaming data/SMS package as backup in case there’s no reliable wifi connection at the airport. You will need to load at least PHP 300 on that Philippine sim to activate for example the 299 Roam Supersaver, you can load extra like PHP 500 instead of PHP 300 in case the Roam Supersaver activation fails. As long as roaming was activated, that account (Philippine sim) can send international SMS.

Data roaming is to keep in touch via WhatsApp, Viber or Messenger. The Roam Supersaver also provides an option to send you an SMS directly, just make sure your fiance has your complete mobile number with the +1-xxx-xxxxxxx format.

Edited by AndreaPerkins

@Aviculture1

If it’s a Prepaid account, I believe you should maintain an outstanding load balance of at least PHP 100 or PHP 150 to keep the roaming service activated.

You can send SMS to her Philippine number while on roaming service, SMS receiving is FREE.

Update:

Globe Prepaid Roaming is now automatic! Get connected to a partner network simply by turning on your mobile phone upon arriving abroad. Activation before departure and deactivation upon return to the Philippines are no longer required.

Edited by AndreaPerkins

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Highmystic said:

You are correct.  I (and my wife) when getting a new phone activated, we keep our old phone and use them for wifi browsing  at home.  Without a load, the only thing one can not do is make a phone call, unless it's VOIP.

What isn't VOIP these days?  :lol:      Even if they charge you for carrier service

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wouldn't recommend postpaid for an immigrating person. The bill for roaming would be ridiculously expensive. 😆

I used a prepaid sim on my phone on the way here with UNLIMITED DATA and that's how I communicated with my hubby whilst at NAIA 2. Once at LAX, I didn't have the time to contact him because of the chaos, LOL. He just waited for me at the exit gate. 😁

On 8/9/2019 at 8:24 PM, apple21 said:

I wouldn't recommend postpaid for an immigrating person. The bill for roaming would be ridiculously expensive. 😆

I used a prepaid sim on my phone on the way here with UNLIMITED DATA and that's how I communicated with my hubby whilst at NAIA 2. Once at LAX, I didn't have the time to contact him because of the chaos, LOL. He just waited for me at the exit gate. 😁

TMobile has free data and text roaming for most countries on post paid. Calls are $0.20 a minute. 

I added my wife to my plan 4 months before her visa was approved and brought the phone over for her to use on one of my trips. 

Works fine in Philippines, Japan, Hong Kong, China and South Korea.  So far the only place I travel it doesn't work is Oman. 

On 8/9/2019 at 7:37 AM, Aviculture1 said:

My fiance is concerned about being able to contact me while traveling to the US from the Philippines is there such a thing as an international load that you purchase for your cell phone?

When I travel we always use facebook messenger to keep in touch. You can get wifi for free in almost every airport you pass through.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, jskibo said:

TMobile has free data and text roaming for most countries on post paid. Calls are $0.20 a minute. 

I added my wife to my plan 4 months before her visa was approved and brought the phone over for her to use on one of my trips. 

Works fine in Philippines, Japan, Hong Kong, China and South Korea.  So far the only place I travel it doesn't work is Oman. 

That's a great idea. We didn't think of that back then! 😁

2 minutes ago, apple21 said:

That's a great idea. We didn't think of that back then! 😁

Thanks. 

One more thing I forgot to mention, if you're active duty or a veteran they have some great deals.  

We are on 4 lines unlimited at $100 a month, 50% off. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.