JP87

visa interview - AOS update needed?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Good morning everyone,

Long time no see.

My wife will be having her visa interview on August 19th. We are now preparing the documentation to bring to the interview utilizing the checklist provided on the embassy's website.

Do I need to prepare an additional AOS due to the fact my wife had twins before the interview date? The original AOS would show 2 for family, but now the family is 4. The DS-260 form was also completed before the birth and was listed as no children. I contacted the NVC and they said no edits can be performed on the submitted documentation. Or, will the visa interview only consider the original documentation? Any advice or information?

Also, we plan to leave the babies with their grandmother during the interview. I believe they are not required to be present since they will be US citizens after we complete the birth abroad paperwork.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, JP87 said:

Good morning everyone,

Long time no see.

My wife will be having her visa interview on August 19th. We are now preparing the documentation to bring to the interview utilizing the checklist provided on the embassy's website.

Do I need to prepare an additional AOS due to the fact my wife had twins before the interview date? The original AOS would show 2 for family, but now the family is 4. The DS-260 form was also completed before the birth and was listed as no children. I contacted the NVC and they said no edits can be performed on the submitted documentation. Or, will the visa interview only consider the original documentation? Any advice or information?

Also, we plan to leave the babies with their grandmother during the interview. I believe they are not required to be present since they will be US citizens after we complete the birth abroad paperwork.

I highly recommend an updated 485.   Household size 4 now.  

You dont have to apply for or do anything else for the kiddos, just their CRBA’s and passports.  

Gotta bring them in for that.  CO wants to eyeball them for some reason.

Good luck!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I highly recommend an updated 485.   Household size 4 now.  

You dont have to apply for or do anything else for the kiddos, just their CRBA’s and passports.  

Gotta bring them in for that.  CO wants to eyeball them for some reason.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply.

Did you mean an updated I-864 AOS? Or an I-485 register permanent resident or adjust status? I only ask this because I did not fill out an original I-485.

The children have not been issued passports yet. They are only 1 month old. They only have birth certificates and their translations. I am still in the process of completing the CRBA. Finding evidence of every place I have lived in USA from birth is rather difficult. Do you think I should call the embassy and ask about bringing them or not? 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

No need of i485. Just have the updated i864 ready. No need to bring the new borns for wife’s interview. She may bring their BCs and copies to have the CO update DS260.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
6 minutes ago, arken said:

No need of i485. Just have the updated i864 ready. No need to bring the new borns for wife’s interview. She may bring their BCs and copies to have the CO update DS260.

Thank you for the clarification 

Timeline
3 hours ago, JP87 said:

Thank you for the reply.

Did you mean an updated I-864 AOS? Or an I-485 register permanent resident or adjust status? I only ask this because I did not fill out an original I-485.

The children have not been issued passports yet. They are only 1 month old. They only have birth certificates and their translations. I am still in the process of completing the CRBA. Finding evidence of every place I have lived in USA from birth is rather difficult. Do you think I should call the embassy and ask about bringing them or not? 

I864.  Brain freeze.  

Huh?  Every place you ever lived?  Uhuh.   Too much work.  I used old passports, a set of college transcripts, had a few years of scanned W-2’s / taxes on the pc, and ran a credit record.  Credit report has address history.  Match that up with employers / tax forms then show you attended school 4-5 years on top of that and you’re golden.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, JP87 said:

Good morning everyone,

Long time no see.

NVC documents were accurate at the time of filing.

You can complete a new DS-260 and bring the new confirmation page to the interview (or however document delivery is handled for your country)

And you will need updated Financial support documents for the embassy

You have completed CRBA for the children and obtained their U.S. passports?    Embassy will want to see those documents

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
On 8/9/2019 at 6:05 PM, Hank_ said:

NVC documents were accurate at the time of filing.

You can complete a new DS-260 and bring the new confirmation page to the interview (or however document delivery is handled for your country)

And you will need updated Financial support documents for the embassy

You have completed CRBA for the children and obtained their U.S. passports?    Embassy will want to see those documents

Hank thank you for your comment.
The DS-260 is a form provided on the CEAC website. It cannot be opened again. To my knowledge, the form cannot be found on the standard government websites.

I have not finished the CRBA or obtained their U.S. passports. This is still a work in process. I am in Japan trying to get evidence of where I lived 30 years of my life in USA. 

Timeline
On 8/9/2019 at 2:35 PM, Nitas_man said:

I864.  Brain freeze.  

Huh?  Every place you ever lived?  Uhuh.   Too much work.  I used old passports, a set of college transcripts, had a few years of scanned W-2’s / taxes on the pc, and ran a credit record.  Credit report has address history.  Match that up with employers / tax forms then show you attended school 4-5 years on top of that and you’re golden.

Thank you. I remade the I-864 in case they needed it. I hope they do not though.

The CRBA requires you to list your location for all the years lived in USA and provide evidence of that time. So far, I have obtained my college transcripts, highschool transcripts, middle school transcripts. I also have my first apartment contract and a letter of employment. I am hitting a rock with the elementary school records though. If this is enough paperwork, I can file the CRBA this week, but it still will not be finished in time for the interview.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, JP87 said:

Thank you. I remade the I-864 in case they needed it. I hope they do not though.

The CRBA requires you to list your location for all the years lived in USA and provide evidence of that time. So far, I have obtained my college transcripts, highschool transcripts, middle school transcripts. I also have my first apartment contract and a letter of employment. I am hitting a rock with the elementary school records though. If this is enough paperwork, I can file the CRBA this week, but it still will not be finished in time for the interview.

They MUST have a current I-864 because accurate household size is material to the outcome of the application.  

I do not know who told you this information about CBRA but your information is incorrect.

You only need to show you were physically present in the US for 5 years.

At least two of them need to be after age 14.

So 5 years of adult employment/college /residence are enough.  Beyond that the embassy neither needs nor is entitled to know your entire life history.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

They MUST have a current I-864 because accurate household size is material to the outcome of the application.  

I do not know who told you this information about CBRA but your information is incorrect.

You only need to show you were physically present in the US for 5 years.

At least two of them need to be after age 14.

So 5 years of adult employment/college /residence are enough.  Beyond that the embassy neither needs nor is entitled to know your entire life history.

However like you I did summarize / estimate dates of travel however I noted them as estimates on the application.

Helped I had my first passport issued 1974 and the next one was issued 2006, which simplified things because the 1974 had (1) trip LOL and that was 25 years of travel records in one place.  Indicating I was in the US but I neither showed where I was nor what I was doing except for address history after college.  

The local manning the counter started arguing about that and I just told her go get someone else.  She did.  

Our embassy staff at the citizens services counters aren’t immigration and don’t get to question, argue, or decide on long established constitutional principles once we clearly meet the requirements for their services.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

However like you I did summarize / estimate dates of travel however I noted them as estimates on the application.

Helped I had my first passport issued 1974 and the next one was issued 2006, which simplified things because the 1974 had (1) trip LOL and that was 25 years of travel records in one place.  Indicating I was in the US but I neither showed where I was nor what I was doing except for address history after college.  

The local manning the counter started arguing about that and I just told her go get someone else.  She did.  

Our embassy staff at the citizens services counters aren’t immigration and don’t get to question, argue, or decide on long established constitutional principles once we clearly meet the requirements for their services.

I see what you mean.

I will finish the documentation early. But, the new online documentation for completing the CRBA states to list all locations I lived in America and the dates I lived there. It even requests the day, month and year. The following page requests evidence scanned to support this information. I assumed I would need to provide evidence from my entire life history.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, JP87 said:

Hank thank you for your comment.
The DS-260 is a form provided on the CEAC website. It cannot be opened again. To my knowledge, the form cannot be found on the standard government websites.

I have not finished the CRBA or obtained their U.S. passports. This is still a work in process. I am in Japan trying to get evidence of where I lived 30 years of my life in USA. 

Correct, the DS-260 is a digital form, once completed it can not be opened again.  But when you you completed the form wasn't there a confirmation page at the end?  That is what I am talking of should you complete a new DS-260 with your current family, bring the new confirmation page to the embassy.

CRBA,   Dept of State is looking address evidence that you had physical presence/residency in the USA prior to the birth of the child ... not your life history of all places you lived in your life.

3. Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent(s)' physical presence or residence in the United States prior to the birth of the child. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to affidavits, school, employment, tax, bank, and medical records, utility bills, rent receipts, or other official public documents. Evidence of time spent abroad working for the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or qualifying international organization, or as a dependent child of a person working abroad for such entities prior to the birth of the child is also acceptable in some cases

U.S. embassy in the Philippines only has the form (no online digital form) https://ph.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2016/10/DS-2029.2016.pdf

Do you have a link to the new online/digital CRBA form?    

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
5 hours ago, JP87 said:

I see what you mean.

I will finish the documentation early. But, the new online documentation for completing the CRBA states to list all locations I lived in America and the dates I lived there. It even requests the day, month and year. The following page requests evidence scanned to support this information. I assumed I would need to provide evidence from my entire life history.

I need to see this new online form.  

https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds2029.pdf

This is the current application.  Asks for dates, city, state only.  It’s the same application I used when our daughter was born overseas.

That section is “time spent in the United States”.  I approximated (month/year), and used my credit report address history, resume, W2’s, and tax records to back it up.  It’s city, state.  Do your best.  If you don’t know or remember - say so.  Most of your adult life can be documented online.

PROOF of your relationship as parent, your citizenship, and your physical presence to cover (5) years Is ths only thing that matters on that application.  Nothing else is “material to the outcome” of the decision.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
16 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

I need to see this new online form.  

https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds2029.pdf

This is the current application.  Asks for dates, city, state only.  It’s the same application I used when our daughter was born overseas.

That section is “time spent in the United States”.  I approximated (month/year), and used my credit report address history, resume, W2’s, and tax records to back it up.  It’s city, state.  Do your best.  If you don’t know or remember - say so.  Most of your adult life can be documented online.

PROOF of your relationship as parent, your citizenship, and your physical presence to cover (5) years Is ths only thing that matters on that application.  Nothing else is “material to the outcome” of the decision.

sorry it took so long to reply, the website was down for maintenance. 
the website used for the CRBA https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/online-crba/.... It uses https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/about-us/mytravelgov.html as a proxy.

the question asks the following: (I edited out my name)

Physical Presence
Enter all periods that ---------- was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions prior to the birth of the child. Please also enter periods of time where --------- participated in qualifying service abroad.

the next page has the following:

Relevant Time in the United States
Remember Your Documentary Evidence of Relevant Time in the U.S. You will need to bring your original documents to the in person interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.