Jump to content
Talo

Minimum income requirement

14 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

My wife did not reach the minimum income requirement in her 2018 tax return. But now she does. 

 

Is her income for the last couple of months sufficient or should we go with co-sponsorship? Would it be a problem if we go with co-sponsorship just in case or is it better to go with it even if she now meets the requirements?

 

Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The consulate officer will consider her whole financial situation when making a determination regarding the public charge issue.......remember that the 125% guideline is just that-  a guideline.......if your wife's current income is not stable or minimally meets the guidelines, it might be beneficial to have a joint sponsor's I-864 and supporting documents ready.


                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talo said:

Hi all,

 

My wife did not reach the minimum income requirement in her 2018 tax return. But now she does. 

 

Is her income for the last couple of months sufficient or should we go with co-sponsorship? Would it be a problem if we go with co-sponsorship just in case or is it better to go with it even if she now meets the requirements?

 

Thanks in advance

No harm in having a joint sponsor, but whether it's needed or not depends on the country and other factors.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all! I guess we'll go with the joint sponsorship just in case. I was worried it would be problematic to go with it if not needed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Talo said:

Another quick question. What is the definition of Household member? Her parents are going to co-sponsor. She does not live with them.

Her parents' household number will be them, yourself, and any children they may have in their house if any.


Our CR1 Journey So Far:
 

USCIS Stage:

  • Feb 8 2019: Sent package
  • Feb 14 2019: Delivered
  • Feb 21 2019: NOA1 (PD Feb 14, 2019)
  • Assigned to Nebraska Service Center (yay... 🙄)
  • Waiting for: NOA2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

Her parents' household number will be them, yourself, and any children they may have in their house if any.

Thanks for the reply Lily, I'm not sure I follow you though. 

Im on the website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html

 

They seem to distinguish between household co-sponsors (they need to fill I-864A) and other co-sponsors (they need to fill I-864).

 

The co sponsors are their parents. Which do not live in the same house as her. So I assume they are regular co-sponsors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Talo said:

Thanks for the reply Lily, I'm not sure I follow you though. 

Im on the website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html

 

They seem to distinguish between household co-sponsors (they need to fill I-864A) and other co-sponsors (they need to fill I-864).

 

The co sponsors are their parents. Which do not live in the same house as her. So I assume they are regular co-sponsors?

Yes they are regular co-sponsors, she will not combine her income with them


Our CR1 Journey So Far:
 

USCIS Stage:

  • Feb 8 2019: Sent package
  • Feb 14 2019: Delivered
  • Feb 21 2019: NOA1 (PD Feb 14, 2019)
  • Assigned to Nebraska Service Center (yay... 🙄)
  • Waiting for: NOA2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Talo said:

Thanks for the reply Lily, I'm not sure I follow you though. 

Im on the website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html

 

They seem to distinguish between household co-sponsors (they need to fill I-864A) and other co-sponsors (they need to fill I-864).

 

The co sponsors are their parents. Which do not live in the same house as her. So I assume they are regular co-sponsors?

It is helpful to use the proper terminology.  There are no "Cosponsors".  Your spouse is the petitioner/sponsor.  One of her parents will be the only Joint Sponsor, and the other will provide an I-864a as a "household member".  If there are any OTHER household members, they only are "counted" in the household size.  Your wife is not counted in that household size, because she isn't immigrating and is not supported by her parents.  Even if she was living in their house, she's not part of the household size.

 

Become A students of the I-864 instructions.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

It is helpful to use the proper terminology.  There are no "Cosponsors".  Your spouse is the petitioner/sponsor.  One of her parents will be the only Joint Sponsor, and the other will provide an I-864a as a "household member".  If there are any OTHER household members, they only are "counted" in the household size.  Your wife is not counted in that household size, because she isn't immigrating and is not supported by her parents.  Even if she was living in their house, she's not part of the household size.

 

Become A students of the I-864 instructions.

Thank you for your response. We are a bit confused however about what evidence will need to be provided for the I-864A. If the mother is the joint sponsor, her household is three people (the father and a disabled adult son). So, will they (the father and son) need to provide the same evidence as in I-864A. Also, I suppose this would mean that they would also have to provide the petitioner's brother's birth certificate and mother's marriage certificate to prove household relation? Pardon my ignorance but this is a bit confusing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Talo said:

Thank you for your response. We are a bit confused however about what evidence will need to be provided for the I-864A. If the mother is the joint sponsor, her household is three people (the father and a disabled adult son). So, will they (the father and son) need to provide the same evidence as in I-864A. Also, I suppose this would mean that they would also have to provide the petitioner's brother's birth certificate and mother's marriage certificate to prove household relation? Pardon my ignorance but this is a bit confusing. 

Perhaps you are confused because you have not yet studied those instructions.  Download them the same place you download the forms.

 

Household relation is clear from the tax returns.  The household is those three plus you.  Unless the son is combining income with the parents, he is only "counted".  I explained this before.  Read those instructions.  Mom and Dad need to provide evidence of their US Citizenship. Usually a birth certificate for each.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Perhaps you are confused because you have not yet studied those instructions.  Download them the same place you download the forms.

 

Household relation is clear from the tax returns.  The household is those three plus you.  Unless the son is combining income with the parents, he is only "counted".  I explained this before.  Read those instructions.  Mom and Dad need to provide evidence of their US Citizenship. Usually a birth certificate for each.

Thanks for your reply, we'll read the instructions again and ask if we have further questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...