lonesurvivor

Husband Rear ended car, did not have identification with me to show police

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I am pretty worried right now, although I am legally in status. My husband and I are currently residing in Ohio. This morning, he rear ended a car because of a traffic jam and the police came to the accident. They took his name and also my name. I did not bring my passport or canadian Drivers license or NOA1s with me. We are currently just waiting for an interview during the adjustment of status process, I entered using a b2 visa. The officer asked nicely to see my id and I said I had left it at home, along with my NOA1s, which is where I told him I am going through immigration right now and am a Canadian citizen, atlhough I know a lot of police do not know much about the immigration process. He said okay, and just took my full name and DOB. 

He did not ask anything else on the subject matter before we were about to leave, and I asked if he wanted my maiden name because I was unsure if he was looking me up/what exactly he needed the info for because I was not the one driving.

I am at home now and do not really know the process of if they will look me up/care or are concerned about my immigration status or proving my identity. I saw the recent post of the woman who did not file her AOS and was detained in a similar incident.

Should I be worried that ICE will show at my door expecting to see documents? again, I am fully in status and am awaiting an interview. But still obviously, do not want to deal with them coming. 

I realize it might be my fault for not having id with me. We just wanted to get some fast food quickly and this happened. I advise anyone to always bring their ID'S/NOA1S with them because you never know and its better to not have to worry about this. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration, from Working and Traveling~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Though certainly the story on the thread you mention is scary and very unfortunate, I don't think you will receive a visit, as your case is completely different. 

If they need to, they can easily look you up and see you're adjusting status -using your name or your husband's-. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
39 minutes ago, lonesurvivor said:

Should I be worried that ICE will show at my door expecting to see documents? again, I am fully in status and am awaiting an interview. But still obviously, do not want to deal with them coming. 

I don't think you will have a problem....I think your advice to carry NOA with you just to make it easier to verify is good.....You are not in legal status. ......but you are not accruing unlawful presence...... You are granted "authorized stay" while your I-485 is pending..........

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, little immigrant said:

The other lady was arrested right then and there and you were let go home. I think you'll be OK. 

Exactly....and the referenced lady was not in "authorized stay" because she failed to file her I-485 before the expiration of her I-94.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Not a big deal, you were just a witness, not really involved in the accident as you were not driving. They just need your name as a passenger in the vehicle for the report. Good advice for everyone is to always have some form of identification on your person. You are required by law to be able to identify yourself to law enforcement if asked, or they have the right to detain you until your identity can be established. This is a case by case basis really, as the officer had more than enough other ways to know who you were, and to find you if there is a problem, but I wouldn't worry much about it. Your name is just going on the report as passenger number 2 in vehicle number 2 if there was only 2 vehicles involved. Only downside to this is your husband gets a ticket for Assured clear distance, pays a fine, and his insurance goes up in price next renewal. If he didn't get a citation, that's good to, but unless it was on private property, he probably got cited. And as long as the clown in the first car doesn't want to try and retire off this accident and file for millions in damages, it should be open and shut case. Mention to your husband to not talk to the other insurance company, only his insurance company, I guarantee the other person's insurance is going to call him and try to get a statement from him, politely decline and say don't wish to make a statement to you. By law you only have to talk to your insurance company.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.