IsabelleFredrick

SSN yourself vs via AOS form

25 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, martinzl said:

My wife filed for her SSN last year when she filed for AOS. USCIS forwards the form to SSA.  She received her SSN in the mail within a few days of AOS approval. SSA prefers not to issue an SSN if you are not authorized to work. While waiting for work authorization and her SSN we had to go to SSA to get a letter stating that she was not eligible for an SSN so she could present that letter in order to get a state-issued photo ID.

But as a K1 recipient  you are eligible  for a SSN and can get a SAN before  marriage if you apply before your I94 expires.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
41 minutes ago, martinzl said:

My wife filed for her SSN last year when she filed for AOS. USCIS forwards the form to SSA.  She received her SSN in the mail within a few days of AOS approval. SSA prefers not to issue an SSN if you are not authorized to work. While waiting for work authorization and her SSN we had to go to SSA to get a letter stating that she was not eligible for an SSN so she could present that letter in order to get a state-issued photo ID.

SSA issues SSN to K-1 people all the time, K-1ers check the box "alien allowed to work" as K-1ers ARE allowed to work. They just need the EAD before they can start working, but it's nothing that affects the SSN itself. 

Better to get a SSN as soon as possible after entry, even if it's in the maiden name, so you can start using it when needed. No reason to wait, and no reason to apply for it via the i-765 as that will likely take much longer than just going to the SSA in person.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

But as a K1 recipient  you are eligible  for a SSN and can get a SAN before  marriage if you apply before your I94 expires.

Yes, a K1 recipient is eligible to get an SSN because they are technically eligible to work.  However, once they marry they lose the work eligibility until AOS is filed and EAD is approved. So, while they get the SSN, they can't use it for work purposes and really don't need it otherwise. In our case, there was no need to get the SSN as we got married 2 weeks after she arrived in the US.  We found it better to get married and start the AOS and EAD process ASAP. SSA's concern is that if someone who was work authorized has an SSN but then loses work authorization, they will continue to work and the employer will not check work authorization status.

21 minutes ago, martinzl said:

Yes, a K1 recipient is eligible to get an SSN because they are technically eligible to work.  However, once they marry they lose the work eligibility until AOS is filed and EAD is approved. So, while they get the SSN, they can't use it for work purposes and really don't need it otherwise. In our case, there was no need to get the SSN as we got married 2 weeks after she arrived in the US.  We found it better to get married and start the AOS and EAD process ASAP. SSA's concern is that if someone who was work authorized has an SSN but then loses work authorization, they will continue to work and the employer will not check work authorization status.

I think couples that apply for  a ssn  before marriage is its easier to obtain identification cards and be added to health insurance, bank accounts etc if you have a ssn. They don't care so much about the ability  to work or not at least until their  EAD comes in.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sarge2155 said:

I think couples that apply for  a ssn  before marriage is its easier to obtain identification cards and be added to health insurance, bank accounts etc if you have a ssn. They don't care so much about the ability  to work or not at least until their  EAD comes in.

This is very true and exactly what we did last year as soon as my now wife came across and married. It helped so much with getting her a Texas State I.D. which in turn helped so we dont have to carry around our marriage cert. w/passport to prove anything anymore, as far as last names matching. Especially when flying and entering the court house. Bank account in her name, her health insurance through my job, beneficiary to 401K and life insurance. Credit card, you name it. It was extremely valuable to her and I.

1 hour ago, GyC said:

This is very true and exactly what we did last year as soon as my now wife came across and married. It helped so much with getting her a Texas State I.D. which in turn helped so we dont have to carry around our marriage cert. w/passport to prove anything anymore, as far as last names matching. Especially when flying and entering the court house. Bank account in her name, her health insurance through my job, beneficiary to 401K and life insurance. Credit card, you name it. It was extremely valuable to her and I.

I live in TX and we filed for my AOS in April.I have no state ID and I can’t even get a drivers license without a SSN or EAD.We got married on February 2018.Is it possible to get an ID by any chance? 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Emmah said:

I live in TX and we filed for my AOS in April.I have no state ID and I can’t even get a drivers license without a SSN or EAD.We got married on February 2018.Is it possible to get an ID by any chance? 

I believe so. My wife got hers after we married. Her K1 visa was still valid though. That may be the issue. They have a system where they check to see if you are here legally,  which you are. It takes a few trips to the dmv, but you should get it. Let me get you the website we used to get all the correct documents in order to apply.

8 minutes ago, GyC said:

I believe so. My wife got hers after we married. Her K1 visa was still valid though. That may be the issue. They have a system where they check to see if you are here legally,  which you are. It takes a few trips to the dmv, but you should get it. Let me get you the website we used to get all the correct documents in order to apply.

Thank you so much. I came in with visit visa.

Timeline

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/LawfulStatusDLID.htm

Try the link. It gives tons of info about obtaining a Texas I.D.

I forgot to add that once you get to that website, you have to click on the hyperlink that states "Verifying Lawful Presence" it will download you some very valuable info.

Edited by GyC
Forgot to add

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, martinzl said:

Of course you have use for a SSN, it's not only used for work, I assume you know that.

Before I received my EAD I used my SSN to get a credit card to start building credit, I was added to my husband's bank account and insurance, we filed joint taxes (which is why I could send 3 years of tax returns when I filed for ROC, without the SSN it would only have been 2) etc. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.