nosleep

K2 follow to join medical?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I can't seem to find a clear answer about k2 and the interview/medical. 

1. The K2 beneficiary is asked to go to the interview with the k1 beneficiary.

2. Prior to the interview the medical is required.

If the k2 beneficiary waits 4 or more months to join after the interview, will the medical expire?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, nosleep said:

If the k2 beneficiary waits 4 or more months to join after the interview, will the medical expire?

Medical is valid for 6 months and the visa will expire on that same day

YMMV

Why is the K-2 beneficiary interviewing at the same time if they will be following after the medical expires?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Just like you schedule your medical once you are about ready to schedule an interview, you would wait until that stage for the K2.  

My K2 came with me so we had ours together, so not quite the same. Can you contact the embassy and ask them to clarify? I know that once you get past NVC stage, some of the process and the order thereof varies from one country to the next so I'm always hesitant to give information based on my own experience if it's a different country. 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline
37 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Why is the K-2 beneficiary interviewing at the same time if they will be following after the medical expires?

This is my question, from what I understand they will require the k2 to be present with the k1 beneficiary.  The follow to join is valid for 12 months, but he medical is not.  Is a second medical required?  If so this would be much easier and cost effective to just renew the medical since the embassy very far to travel if we have to go back for the k2 interview.

Edited by nosleep

Timeline
18 minutes ago, nosleep said:

This is my question, from what I understand they will require the k2 to be present with the k1 beneficiary.  The follow to join is valid for 12 months, but he medical is not.  Is a second medical required?  If so this would be much easier and cost effective to just renew the medical since the embassy very far to travel if we have to go back for the k2 interview.

The typical scenario is that the guardian takes the k2 to the interview when they are ready for the visa to be issued .  The other possibility is the k2 is interviewed with the k1, but you don't do the medical until later 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

It sounds like we can only hope for getting advance parole quickly and then planning a trip to the embassy a second time for the k2 interview? 

This leads to another question; if the k1 and k2 go to the interview together, can the k2 just let the original medical expire and renew the medical prior to leaving the country?  Getting a new medical is much more cost effective than making a second trip to the embassy.  Two trips to the embassy for "follow to join" doesn't seem right, especially when you consider the K1 can't leave the US to accompany the K2 until advance parole is approved which could take several months.

I'm hoping someone who has done this before can share any experience.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, nosleep said:

It sounds like we can only hope for getting advance parole quickly and then planning a trip to the embassy a second time for the k2 interview? 

This leads to another question; if the k1 and k2 go to the interview together, can the k2 just let the original medical expire and renew the medical prior to leaving the country?  Getting a new medical is much more cost effective than making a second trip to the embassy.  Two trips to the embassy for "follow to join" doesn't seem right, especially when you consider the K1 can't leave the US to accompany the K2 until advance parole is approved which could take several months.

I'm hoping someone who has done this before can share any experience.

Why would you do an initial medical in the first place?

YMMV

1 hour ago, nosleep said:

I think your understanding is incorrect. The K-2 will interview when they are ready to apply for the visa. This can be at the same time as the K-1 beneficiary, but it can also be later.

The medical is valid for up to 6 months. The visa cannot be issued with an expired medical. The visa's expiration date will be based upon the medical exam's expiration.

Can you do 2 medicals? Sure...but I wouldn't suggest that path. I would suggest just one when they're ready.

The guardian can accompany them to the consulate for the interview if it is not held at the same time as the K-1 applicant's interview.

Plan accordingly.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, nosleep said:

Medical will only be valid for 6 months in regards to the visa.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

I think your understanding is incorrect. The K-2 will interview when they are ready to apply for the visa. This can be at the same time as the K-1 beneficiary, but it can also be later.

The medical is valid for up to 6 months. The visa cannot be issued with an expired medical. The visa's expiration date will be based upon the medical exam's expiration.

Can you do 2 medicals? Sure...but I wouldn't suggest that path. I would suggest just one when they're ready.

The guardian can accompany them to the consulate for the interview if it is not held at the same time as the K-1 applicant's interview.

Plan accordingly.

Thanks!  So the way I now understand is the visa would expire at the time of the medical expiration which is 6 months after issue of k1 and renewing the medical at a later time doesn't necessarily renew the visa (i.e. k2 will leave 8 months after k1/k2 interview).  In order for the follow to join to be used between months 6-12 after the k1 is issued, the k2 would need a separate interview/medical to initiate an individual visa approval. 

I was under the assumption they were tied together by date, meaning at the time of the initial k1/k2 interview; then the k2 would be valid for 12 months from that time.  The medical part didn't make sense because of the 6 month expiration.

Timeline
1 hour ago, nosleep said:

Thanks!  So the way I now understand is the visa would expire at the time of the medical expiration which is 6 months after issue of k1 and renewing the medical at a later time doesn't necessarily renew the visa (i.e. k2 will leave 8 months after k1/k2 interview).  In order for the follow to join to be used between months 6-12 after the k1 is issued, the k2 would need a separate interview/medical to initiate an individual visa approval. 

I was under the assumption they were tied together by date, meaning at the time of the initial k1/k2 interview; then the k2 would be valid for 12 months from that time.  The medical part didn't make sense because of the 6 month expiration.

The only thing that is tied together is the k2 must be issued within one year of the k1. 

Otherwise, separate visa applications,  separate medical,  separate fee payment, separate interview, separate visa

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My stepson followed to join 6 months after his mother.  We did not complete his DS-160 until he was ready to come to the U.S., so he had his medical exam and interview 6 months after his mother's.  He did not attend the interview with his mother.  He attended his medical exam and interview with a family friend.  No issues at all. - Jason

3 minutes ago, nosleep said:

I was hoping there was something we could do to avoid another trip to the embassy since it's over 2000 km each way but it sounds like we should prepare to make a second trip.

Why can't their guardian who is taking care of them while you're away take them to the interview?

Planning a return trip is difficult as you don't know when you will get AP approved.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.