Lis Xyooj

Evidence use to petition a brother in Thailand!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

Hello VJ members,

I am pretty new here and would like some guidance on getting my brother who lives in Thailand to the US. 

will I be able to sponsor my brother to the US if.. 1. We don’t have any proof of being brother, not that I know of.. only DNA test... 

We were separated when we were very little.  We have been in contact for about 6 years now.  I have gone to see him and his family 3 times.

My question is: besides a birth certificate, what other form of evidence can I use to support my case?

I’m not sure where to begin in terms of evidence because he has a different last name.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. 

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Lis

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lis Xyooj said:

Hello VJ members,

I am pretty new here and would like some guidance on getting my brother who lives in Thailand to the US. 

will I be able to sponsor my brother to the US if.. 1. We don’t have any proof of being brother, not that I know of.. only DNA test... 

We were separated when we were very little.  We have been in contact for about 6 years now.  I have gone to see him and his family 3 times.

My question is: besides a birth certificate, what other form of evidence can I use to support my case?

I’m not sure where to begin in terms of evidence because he has a different last name.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. 

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Lis

If you read the I 130 form and the accompany instructions 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

or will give you clear instructions about what is needed to demonstrate sibling relationship 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Lis Xyooj said:

Thank you.. and yes I did do a little research and the evidence says birth certificate of myself and the sibling.. which I don’t have..

Can you get certified copies of the birth certificates from your/his home country?  

If not, read below:

8. What if an official document is not available?

In this situation, submit a statement from the appropriate civil authority certifying that the document or documents are not available. You must also submit secondary evidence, which may include one or more of the following records listed below.

A. Religious record: A copy of a document bearing the seal of the religious organization showing that the baptism, dedication, or comparable rite occurred within two months after birth, and showing the date and place of the child’s birth, date of the religious ceremony, and the names of the child’s parents.

B. School record: A letter from the authority (preferably the first school attended) showing the date of admission to the school, the child’s date of birth or age at that time, place of birth, and names of the parents.

C. Census record: State or Federal census records showing the names, place of birth, date of birth, or the age of the person listed.

D. If records like those described above are not available, then you may submit two or more written statements from individuals who were living at the time and who have personal knowledge of the event you are trying to prove, such as the date and place of birth, marriage, or death. The individuals making the written statements do not have to be U.S. citizens. Each written statement must contain the following information regarding the individual making the written statement: his or her full name, address, date and place of birth, full information concerning the event, and complete details explaining how the individual acquired personal knowledge of the event. Finally, each individual’s written statement must include the following declaration, “I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on [date], [signature].”

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

You're welcome----probably easier to check into getting copies of both birth certificates, though, if possible...

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

If all else fails records-wise then you can do a dna test.

Just so you are aware, because it does come as a surprise to many people, the typical time frame for sponsoring a sibling is currently 13-15 years.  If you need to do a dna test there may be further time involved as there is a specific process for this with respect to immigration issues (though who knows what the process for that will be in 15 years).

18 minutes ago, Lis Xyooj said:

Thanks SusieQQQ..  OMG.. didn’t realize that.. this sucks..

Yes, it comes to a shock to a lot of people who petition for siblings. And to add, the time may be closer to 20 years in the future. But at least you CAN petition for siblings. Most countries don't even allow someone to petition for siblings. I looked at the Laos government's immigration site and I don't see where there are visas for siblings.

The length of time sucks, but at least you have that option to bring your brother over for now.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Lis Xyooj said:

Thanks SusieQQQ..  OMG.. didn’t realize that.. this sucks..

Also, just to verify---you are a USC now, correct?  If not, that has to come first as LPRs cannot sponsor siblings.

Edited by Going through

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.