joshg345

What happens if late to embassy interview?

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm travelling down to London in a couple of weeks for my interview at the London embassy. I'm getting a train that arrives at 9:24am and my appointment is 10:30am. It says on google maps that it takes around 30 mins to get to the embassy from Euston station, including tube ride and walking. So I should arrive around 10am hopefully.

Do you think this is enough time? Also, what happens if I face delays in my travel? Will I still be allowed to attend my interview or not?

Thanks! :)

For something as important as this, why risk it? I stayed the night before despite only living 100 miles from the embassy and my appointment at 12 noon. Could I have made it there that morning from home? Absolutely. But this was one of the biggest days of my life. This appointment was going to change my life forever. So I stayed the night before at a hotel. They may let you in if you get there late but they don’t have to. If they do, it would be a gesture of goodwill on their part, not a requirement. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It's probable you'll make it on time if the trains run on time. I presume that's the earliest train you can get on the day? If you're more than 30 minutes late they can cancel your interview. Have you thought of staying in London the night before if you're concerned you'll be late? 

Just now, fip & jim said:

It's probable you'll make it on time if the trains run on time. I presume that's the earliest train you can get on the day? If you're more than 30 minutes late they can cancel your interview. Have you thought of staying in London the night before if you're concerned you'll be late? 

I was thinking about it but it's so expensive to stay at a hotel in London :(

I would think it's cutting it too close. It takes a while to get through security. I interviewed at the embassy in Sweden, stayed at a hotel 5 minutes walk from it and arrived outside 45 minutes before my appointment .. I was inside 10 minutes before appointment.

It'll only take a 5-10 minutes delay on any train and you'll miss the interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
1 minute ago, joshg345 said:

There are cheaper places to stay in the outskirts. At least you'd be closer and have more time. Do a quick search to see what's available. It's a lot cheaper than if you mess this part up, that's how I'd look at it. 

2 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

There are cheaper places to stay in the outskirts. At least you'd be closer and have more time. Do a quick search to see what's available. It's a lot cheaper than if you mess this part up, that's how I'd look at it. 

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll take a look :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
1 hour ago, joshg345 said:

Hi all,

I'm travelling down to London in a couple of weeks for my interview at the London embassy. I'm getting a train that arrives at 9:24am and my appointment is 10:30am. It says on google maps that it takes around 30 mins to get to the embassy from Euston station, including tube ride and walking. So I should arrive around 10am hopefully.

Do you think this is enough time? Also, what happens if I face delays in my travel? Will I still be allowed to attend my interview or not?

Thanks! :)when I was there last week they where only putting through people 

Why not just push your appointment time back to a later slot? Giving you plenty of time to get down there and sit and chill outside until it's your time to go.  It's very easy to change it on the portal I brought my own interview forward a full week 

My appointment time was for 11am and I arrived on the train at 7, so I literally walked most of the way down stopping at Victoria station to drop off my bag and got the underground from there to Vauxhall which took 3 minutes and took my time enjoyed the fresh air and scenery, Vauxhall to the embassy is 10 minute walk at a good pace.

Euston station and underground themselves are side by side if you get in on time you literally have services running 2 minutes apart 9:29, 9:31, 9:33. that will get you to Vauxhall in 10 mins.  Then it's a 10 min walk, 15 if you want a leasurely stroll. Giving you plenty of time outside the embassy especially if you choose to push your time slot back and don't want to spend the evening in London.  When I was there last week at the consulate entrance there was two lines at security one for processing people through security itself the had 15-20 mins before there appointment and the other for anyone who was 30 mins plus and way too early so where being asked to wait until being called forward.  By the time I got through security I was actually late for my appointment time but through no fault of my own as I followed their instruction to the letter.  I was by no means alone in that, once I got through security there is a secondary line which stretched outside from the main building.  But as I came to that line a gentleman from the embassy stepped outside the door and was calling for people with 10 o'clock to half past 10 appointments to come forward and that this was there last call, and that was just after 11am, which I and a few other ceased upon and followed him in past the queue of people and was signed in and given my number and told to take the lift to the first floor, go left and left again at the end of the building and await my number being called.  

Anyway good luck with whatever way you decide to go and try not to worry to much about it, it's all pretty relaxed and easy going inside 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, joshg345 said:

Hi all,

Thanks! :)

Despite what all the others think, it's more of a cattle call in my opinion. They aren't going to be looking for you to step up to the first counter at precisely 10:30. There could be a half dozen or more with the same time. I think you would be seen if you got there before they quit for the day. 

Just now, Wuozopo said:

Despite what all the others think, it's more of a cattle call in my opinion. They aren't going to be looking for you to step up to the first counter at precisely 10:30. There could be a half dozen or more with the same time. I think you would be seen if you got there before they quit for the day. 

That's what I was thinking after reading some of the other forum posts. Thanks for lending your opinion!

Thanks everyone for giving me your time and answers to my question. I have looked at train times again and found an earlier train that arrives at 8:06am for a great price. So that should give me enough time to get to my appointment at 10:30. 

Thanks so much again! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Just now, Wuozopo said:

Agreed there was people still stepping in for 10:30 appointments at after 11, and I was there until 2:30 before I was actually seen for my interview 

11 hours ago, joshg345 said:

Surely a drop in the bucket compared to the whole process and the cost of moving overseas? Air BnB is your friend!

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.