jaske78

2-year green card expired, waiting on I-551

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

The temporary green card expired yesterday. We are waiting on a phone call to get an appointment to get the I-551. When we called initially, 30 days in advance, we were told by USCIS that we could only apply for the I-551 about 5 days before expiration of the temporary green card. We have called and we are waiting for them to contact us.

We have also filed for naturalization, in January, and would like to know the following:

1. What are the consequences for this having expired without having this stamp while the case is still pending?

2. How far out are the appointments, in general? I read somewhere that it was about a week, but that might have been very out of date, as I am now reading about several weeks. Our local office is in California.

Thank you,

Jason

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You should really say that it is your extension letter that is expired not your 2 year GC as you have already filed for ROC.

Nothing because you are not out of status you just don't have proof of it right now.

When I had to get a stamp for my son I got an appointment within the same week. But that was in another state.

Just relax everything is fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
14 hours ago, jaske78 said:

The temporary green card expired yesterday. We are waiting on a phone call to get an appointment to get the I-551. When we called initially, 30 days in advance, we were told by USCIS that we could only apply for the I-551 about 5 days before expiration of the temporary green card. We have called and we are waiting for them to contact us.

We have also filed for naturalization, in January, and would like to know the following:

1. What are the consequences for this having expired without having this stamp while the case is still pending?

2. How far out are the appointments, in general? I read somewhere that it was about a week, but that might have been very out of date, as I am now reading about several weeks. Our local office is in California.

Thank you,

Jason

Did you get your 18 months extension letter?  If you did not ask for one.  Your extension letter expire does not mean you are our of status.  Only you can not go out of country and not renew your diver licence etc.  Try to get stamp

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 7/16/2019 at 6:53 PM, PolarPear said:

I am about to apply for ROC. How can I get a I-551 stamp? If I get the extension letter, I am not allowed to get the stamp? If so, I should get the stamp before my extension letter comes? Please let me know. 

You shouldn't have a stamp at all. All you need is your expired greencard and the extension letter. You have no use for the stamp.

And no, they will not give you a stamp when you have other proof of your status, such as a valid greencard or extension letter. The extension letter is better than a stamp as it's valid for 18 months, the stamp is only valid for a year at best.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 7/16/2019 at 8:46 PM, jaske78 said:

Dilip, the 18-month extension letter is what just expired.

You need to call customer service for infopass and then go to local office to get I-551 stamp.  I did it in January 2019.

2 hours ago, Scandi said:

You shouldn't have a stamp at all. All you need is your expired greencard and the extension letter. You have no use for the stamp.

And no, they will not give you a stamp when you have other proof of your status, such as a valid greencard or extension letter. The extension letter is better than a stamp as it's valid for 18 months, the stamp is only valid for a year at best.

I understand. I just want to have a backup. So can I request a stamp while I am waiting on the extension letter to come in the mail or no?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 minutes ago, PolarPear said:

I understand. I just want to have a backup. So can I request a stamp while I am waiting on the extension letter to come in the mail or no?

There's no such thing as a "backup". They will not give you a stamp if you don't have a valid reason. "For backup" is not a valid reason. Likely they won't  even let you schedule an infopass in the first place, since you're not in need of a stamp.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
5 minutes ago, PolarPear said:

The stamp is also only good for 12 months where as the extension letter is good for 18 months.

The extension letter is all you need! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.