MCGino

Frustration In Trying to Get My Permit Renewal...

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hi everyone. I am from Minnesota.

Any advice in getting Driver's permit renewed/ name change on SSC after K1 I-94 has expired?

I have added my husband's last name to mine after marriage. Went to DMV to renew my permit but got rejected due to unchanged maiden name on SSC. Went to Social Security office in hope to do name change on SSC, staff said I need EAD/ Green Card to do name change.

Super frustrated! Because I JUST want to continue practice driving and not intending to work any time soon! I got my SSC years ago already when I was on F1. I am not getting a NEW SSN but just want to get a damn name change so that I can renew my permit and drive legally and that's all!!!
Anybody can help please?

Thanks in advance.

Sidenote: We filed for GC, EAD & AP June 18th and got NOA June 25th. Which I heard EAD is gonna take at least 2 months?...

Edited by MCGino

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from AOS Family - THe Topic is about DL's~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Get your driver's license in your maiden name. And then once you get your EAD or green card you can then update your SSN name and then update your driver's license. That's the normal process.

Depending on the state though, you may not be able to drive past your I-94 expiry. That is also normal for K1s. Most cannot not drive at this stage and they must wait for EAD or GC.

Timeline

@K1visaHopeful

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think I can do it in my maiden name, because to renew I have to present the marriage certificate and NOA, which write my new legal name with my husband's last name added. 

The whole thing just does not make sense. Like if I did not change my name, I would have had no problem in renewing my permit. So it is not actually a status problem, but merely discrepancy in "words" on SSC. And again, I am not even requesting a new SSN but just an update on my current SSC with no work authority requested...

"Pss. EAD takes 6.5 to 8.5 months."
Please tell me you are kidding me... 😩😱

Filed: Timeline

6-8 months is not a joke. Processing times have slowed due to an influx of petitions.

SSA is not going to able to update your name until USCIS does- which wont happen until they process the EAD and enter your married name into the system for SSA to check.  Many many Ks can not drive until they get their EAD. Not being able to drive or work until you get the EAD is one of the pitfalls of the K visa. Check with the DMV both online and in person and see if there's another way to get your renewal. Most DMV have a list of acceptable documents you can choose from. You may be able to show alternate things to renew. If you can not then unfortunately you won't be able to do anything until you get the EAD.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

6-8 months is not a joke. Processing times have slowed due to an influx of petitions.

Jees, it's so damn frustrating.

After the really late researching, I definitely acknowledge I actually got that window of opportunity to do name change on SSC before my I94 expired.... But I was ignorant of that then sigh.  

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I will definitely go back and talk to the DMV staff to see if there's something else I can do. 

Timeline

Went to another DMV today. 
Staff said they can do nothing about it if the SSC's name is unmatched. They actually see Marriage Certificate and NOA as a legal documents already but don't understand why SSA office makes it difficult.

We will drive 1.5 hour on Fri to a WI SSA office and request name change on the SSC again.

Points I can think of:

- I am not requesting a NEW SSN, but just a change to married name on my current SSN only with no work authority requested.

- It's not even about status change involved, but just a name change on the existed SSN.

Any input to reason is appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by MCGino

You are unlikely to be successful with that strategy - the SSA won't comply as you have an expired I-94. This is the usual K1 purgatory - exacerbated by the fact that you changed your name at an inopportune time...

K1 time line

I-129F sent: 12/23/2014
NOA-1: 12/29/2014
NOA-2: 06/05/2015 (158 days)
NOA-2 hardcopy: 06/11/2015 (6 days post NOA-2, 164 days total)
Sent to NVC: 06/16/2015 (11 days post NOA-2, 169 days total)
NVC receive: 06/25/2015 (20 days post NOA-2, 178 days total)
NVC case no: 06/30/2015 (25 days post NOA-2, 183 days total)
NVC left: 07/02/2015 (27 days post NOA-2, 185 days total)
Case Ready: 07/07/2015 (32 days post NOA-2, 190 days total)
submitted DS-160, paid visa fee.: 07/21/2015 (46 days post NOA-2, 204 days total)
Packet 3 sent: 07/25/2015 (50 days post NOA-2, 209 days total)
Pack 4 received: 07/30/2015 (55 days post NOA-2, 214 days total)
Medical: 09/17/2015 Interview: 09/23/2015 (108 days post NOA-2, 268 days total)
Interview Result: Approved Administrative Processing: 09/23/2015
CEAC Status Issued: 09/24/2015
Visa in hand: 09/28/2015
POE: 12/29/2015 Wedding: 01/11/2016

AOS Time Line

AOS package mailed: 01/13/2016
AOS package received: 01/20/2016 (day 1)
AOS NOA-1 text/email: 01/23/2016 (day 3), actual NOA-1 date 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS Fingerprint fee received: 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS check cashed: 01-25-2016 (day 5) Got 6 month NJ driver's license: 01-25-2016
3x NOA-1 hardcopies: 02/03/2016 (day 14)

Biometrics letter: 02/05/2016 (day 16) Biometrics appt (Elizabeth, NJ): 02/17/2016 (day 28)

EAD and AP approved email/txt: 03/29/2016 (day 67)

GC approval email/text: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

I-797 for I-765/I-131 in mail: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

EAD/AP delivered: 04/05/216 (day 75)

GC card being mailed status update: 04/07/16 (day 77)

GC received: 04/11/16 (day 84 post AOS NOA-1)

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 21 MONTHS!

ROC Window opens: 01/04/2018

ROC Time Line
ROC package mailed to Vermont 01/04/2018
ROC package received at Vermont 01/08/2018 (day 0)
Check cashed: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
NOA-1 date: 01/09/2018 (day 1)
NOA-1 received: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
Biometrics notice received: 02/09/2018 (day 32)
Biometrics appointment: 02/23/2018 (day 46)
Received 18-month extension letter: 08/13/2018 (day 209)
ROC Approved: 03/09/2019 (day 425)
Card Received: 03/16/2019  (day 432)

Timeline

We went today reasoning with their poly on their website:
https://www.nafsa.org/uploadedFiles/poms_section_rm_00203-510.pdf?n=1714&fbclid=IwAR2LaoguPrLp7p7ASdsXYU2vioK9Z5oLihgaP-yHHpfdEetNGFg1pOzZzr0 

4. Correcting Numident Data When a Replacement Card Cannot Be Issued http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510!opendocument (9 of 11) [9/24/2004 11:39:26 AM] : RM 00203.510 - Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN - 10/06/2003 If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that no replacement card can be issued. (See RM 00203.001D.4.). Although a replacement card cannot be issued, the Numident can be corrected if the alien has provided documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

They tried to correct on the system but could not proceed as system requires SS-5 number....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

As others have said, you will need to wait until you get your EAD card, both for a new drivers license and for a new SScard.  The SSA won't give you a new card because in their view you don't need one—you're not allowed to work and you don't have a valid nonwork need.  Wanting to drive doesn't count in their eyes.  And even if you got a new SScard, you still wouldn't get a new drivers license, as Minnesota is one of the states that don't accept the NOA1 as proof of legal presence.  You're gonna have to wait for your EAD

I understand that's frustrating, and I'd agree that the system is kinda effed up in that regard, but it's been like that for years, so you shouldn't be too surprised.   The only new thing is that EAD takes so much longer these days, but even that has been like that for more than a year now. 

At least you do have a SSN and an, albeit expired, DL, which helps immensly with life in America.  Many K1s don't even have that until they get their EAD or their GC, which can make it difficult for them to open bank accounts, to get health insurence, or even to rent an apartment. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Seems insane, but I have just seen lots of horror stories like this on the name change issue.  Because of these stories, my fiancee (beneficiary) is keeping her maiden name.   I'm good with it and so is she, if it will help to avoid problems.

In my mind, keeping her maiden name should avoid the problems encountered by MCGino.........can any of the people who know confirm this for me?? 

Oh, and when we are talking 6-8 months for a combo card ??   😮

Edited by DanielPlainview

Timeline

@RLA

First thanks so much for your comment.

But I have to differ with you on MN DMV policy. I went to the Bloomington and Eagen ones 3 times, and staff went through every steps including pictures and eye test, almost got my money until they checked on computer on SSA system only to find my name unmatching my new legal name. The last time I went I explained the whole situation upfront and the DMV staff said they would take NOA and marriage certificate, its just because they cannot verify name on SSA system.

Speaking of health insurance, my husband has put me on his company plan successfully with my SSN (which is still my maiden name); and got the insurance card on my married name.

Timeline

@DanielPlainview

Still depends on the State DMV policy for Driver's permit/ license. Cause I read online CA requires EAD. Read 2 cases of MN here retained their permit/ DL whole time before EAD/ GC.

In my case, I would have better kept my maiden name or changed to my married name before my K1 expired on SSN (Not many people know K1 holders are allowed to work with EAD actually and that is why SSA would take K1 for SSN application).

I am thinking it depends on where your CIS office is when it comes to processing time of both Combo Card and GC.

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/eadlist.php?cfl=&op5=4,7,11,12

I got buddy in Chicago undergoing AOS last year and it took him 2 months to get combo cards as per the link shows. 

That would probably take 5 to 6 months for my CIS office then. 

Edited by MCGino

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.