Jump to content
Lia Luisa

Submitted Birth Certificate document "Difficult to Read"

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!! A year in to our green card process & this is the first time I've chanced up in this website with a lot of great information that I could have used while preparing for everything !!! But better late than never. 

 

Anyway, I've been trying to look for topics about submitted documents that are not  being accepted because they're "difficult to read" and I haven't seen any yet. 

 

Has anyone ever encountered submitting a Birth Certificate that's not being accepted by NVC (via online portal/submission) because it's "difficult to read"? I've tried to submit a clearer copy but coming from the Local City Registrar's office as opposed to the Philippine Statistics Office's copy which, I believe, is what NVC looks for and requires. And of course it came back as an "invalid" doc. 

 

My question is for anyone who's encountered this- what are the next steps, and how long it took? 

 

This is the only document left to be checked and approved for me. Look forward to some helpful information! Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Lia Luisa said:

 

I don't know much about the Manila embassy, so I may be shooting in the dark here. However, is the document in English?

 

If it's not (and possibly if it is!) I wonder if you could attach a translation and certification of ability to translate, along with a note explaining the issue.

 

Translating English to English might be interesting.. but maybe you could make it clearer if it's hard to read or rephrase it a little?

 

What is hard to read about it?

 

Anyone else want to chime in?

Edited by Daisy.Chain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

I don't know much about the Manila embassy, so I may be shooting in the dark here. However, is the document in English?

 

If it's not (and possibly if it is!) I wonder if you could attach a translation and certification of ability to translate, along with a note explaining the issue.

 

Translating English to English might be interesting.. but maybe you could make it clearer if it's hard to read or rephrase it a little?

 

What is hard to read about it?

 

Anyone else want to chime in?

Hi Daisy, yes the document is in English. I do agree that it's hard to read. 96% of what is on it is hard to read. From my full name to my parents name, everything. It's how it's printed fron the Philippine Statistics Office which seems odd since the original copy from the Local City Registrar's office (where I was born) is clear enough to read. 

 

But your suggestion "..attach a translation and certification of ability to translate, along with a note explaining the issue."  

 

Anyone here have had to go through this? And has maybe tried Daisy.Chain's suggestion at all? 

 

"Translating English to English might be interesting.. but maybe you could make it clearer if it's hard to read or rephrase it a little?" --->> I've tried to scan both copies from Phil. Statistic's Office and Local City Registrar's office and put a note that they are both the same documents that support each other. But they still came back and said it's "invalid" 😕

 

Thanks Daisy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lia Luisa said:

Hi Daisy, yes the document is in English. I do agree that it's hard to read. 96% of what is on it is hard to read. From my full name to my parents name, everything. It's how it's printed fron the Philippine Statistics Office which seems odd since the original copy from the Local City Registrar's office (where I was born) is clear enough to read. 

 

But your suggestion "..attach a translation and certification of ability to translate, along with a note explaining the issue."  

 

Anyone here have had to go through this? And has maybe tried Daisy.Chain's suggestion at all? 

 

"Translating English to English might be interesting.. but maybe you could make it clearer if it's hard to read or rephrase it a little?" --->> I've tried to scan both copies from Phil. Statistic's Office and Local City Registrar's office and put a note that they are both the same documents that support each other. But they still came back and said it's "invalid" 😕

 

Thanks Daisy!!

What about it is hard to read? Small print? Stamps/seals obscuring words? Faded text? Poor contrast issues can easily be corrected in Photoshop or similar programs.


2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

 

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

 

 


event.png



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some birth certificates in the Philippines are written in cursive. Some are poorly printed or letters are typed in improperly (letters typed on top of other letters or shadowed, etc.).

The PSA or Philippine Statistics Authority, then scan a copy of it on a security paper. 

 

Here's an example:

image.png.8479bc2d5d2f94edeacb019330c990c8.png

 

According to the PSA website, this can be resolved by requesting the local civil registrar to endorse a clearer copy to PSA. If the record in the civil registry and PSA is not clear, a petition can be filed to correct it.

 

Since you are overseas, a family member in the Philippines can do this for you.

 

More information available here > https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/blurred

 

I understand that the link is talking about 'blurred' copies of birth certificate but this may also help on your case.

 

Hope this helps!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Philippines regional forum for country specific answers in regards to the OP's documentation.


Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lia Luisa said:

Hi everyone!! A year in to our green card process & this is the first time I've chanced up in this website with a lot of great information that I could have used while preparing for everything !!! But better late than never. 

 

Anyway, I've been trying to look for topics about submitted documents that are not  being accepted because they're "difficult to read" and I haven't seen any yet. 

 

Has anyone ever encountered submitting a Birth Certificate that's not being accepted by NVC (via online portal/submission) because it's "difficult to read"? I've tried to submit a clearer copy but coming from the Local City Registrar's office as opposed to the Philippine Statistics Office's copy which, I believe, is what NVC looks for and requires. And of course it came back as an "invalid" doc. 

 

My question is for anyone who's encountered this- what are the next steps, and how long it took? 

 

This is the only document left to be checked and approved for me. Look forward to some helpful information! Thanks!!!

Have you went back to PSA to request a clear copy.    Ya, I know.. sometimes they are never clear.

 

Is the copy from the local registry clear?   

 

Have you tried calling NVC ?    

 

(603) 334-0700. Please be advised that the NVC has temporarily changed the hours of operation for our call center.  Customer Service Representatives are available from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays.  Due to high call volumes, wait times can be in excess of 30 minutes

 

 


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MarryMe987654 said:

Some birth certificates in the Philippines are written in cursive. Some are poorly printed or letters are typed in improperly (letters typed on top of other letters or shadowed, etc.).

The PSA or Philippine Statistics Authority, then scan a copy of it on a security paper. 

 

Here's an example:

image.png.8479bc2d5d2f94edeacb019330c990c8.png

 

According to the PSA website, this can be resolved by requesting the local civil registrar to endorse a clearer copy to PSA. If the record in the civil registry and PSA is not clear, a petition can be filed to correct it.

 

Since you are overseas, a family member in the Philippines can do this for you.

 

More information available here > https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/blurred

 

I understand that the link is talking about 'blurred' copies of birth certificate but this may also help on your case.

 

Hope this helps!

 

This is very helpful MarryMe, thank you. I've decided to fly to the town where I was born and request my local civil registrar to endorse a clearer copy to PSA since their copy is clear to start with. 

 

Hoping for the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

Have you went back to PSA to request a clear copy.    Ya, I know.. sometimes they are never clear.

 

Is the copy from the local registry clear?   

 

Have you tried calling NVC ?    

 

(603) 334-0700. Please be advised that the NVC has temporarily changed the hours of operation for our call center.  Customer Service Representatives are available from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays.  Due to high call volumes, wait times can be in excess of 30 minutes

 

 

Thank you Hank_ , I've decided to fly to the place where I was born and request for LCR to request PSA to provide a clearer copy of my BC. 

 

I very much appreciate giving me NVC's number. I will also call them. Their business hours is US timezone, right? 

 

Thanks everyone!!! You're all really great !!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, radharose said:

What about it is hard to read? Small print? Stamps/seals obscuring words? Faded text? Poor contrast issues can easily be corrected in Photoshop or similar programs.

Blurry with shadows.. 

 

"Poor contrast issues can easily be corrected in Photoshop or similar programs." --> so scan it then edit via photophop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Lia Luisa said:

Thank you Hank_ , I've decided to fly to the place where I was born and request for LCR to request PSA to provide a clearer copy of my BC. 

 

I very much appreciate giving me NVC's number. I will also call them. Their business hours is US timezone, right? 

 

Thanks everyone!!! You're all really great !!! 

Yes that is U.S. time, eastern time zone.    They have an email also, I will hunt it down.

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/contact-us/us-visas.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Yes that is U.S. time, eastern time zone.    They have an email also, I will hunt it down.

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/contact-us/us-visas.html

Okay I will call them. Then follow it up with email. Just want to know exactly why they're not accepting it and what I need to submit exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...