Jump to content
Kept

Ruined documents

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So my CR1 immigrant visa appointment in Montreal is in 5 days and while preparing our documents my husband FedEx'ed me the certified copy of our marriage certificate, affidavits of support, etc. Unfortunately for some reason even though it rained for 20 hours straight the day it was delivered, the delivery person put our envelope of documents in a green fabric bag and left it on my driveway.

 

The marriage certificate was ruined, the rest of the documents stained green. Everything was in one of those waxy waterproof envelopes with "do not bend" stamps and everything. The legible documents I blow-dried and made unwarped copies of, but the certificate was completely illegible. It was our only certified copy. We ordered a new one but I'm already in Montreal staying at a hotel, and I'm pretty concerned it won't make it here in time. 

 

To make matters worse, Facebook deleted all our communications before 2016 (5 years worth if contact) so we don't have much evidence of relationship early on besides me being on military orders and paperwork listing me as a dependant and a few photos. 

 

So from anyone knowledgeable's personal opinion... how screwed am I? What should I do now?  Thanks for any insight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

youll probably get an rfe for the marriage certificate. not a biggie, really.

 

the facebook stuff you dont need anyways.


i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 131

04/19/2019    Rec'd appointment letter for biometrics

05/02/2019    Biometrics

05/15/2019    Submitted initial request for EAD expedite 5/22 faxed info

06/05/2019    EAD APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!  06/06/2019    AP Approval

06/13/2019    Combo Card Received in Mail

06/19/2019    Social Security Card received in mail

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kept said:

So my CR1 immigrant visa appointment in Montreal is in 5 days and while preparing our documents my husband FedEx'ed me the certified copy of our marriage certificate, affidavits of support, etc. Unfortunately for some reason even though it rained for 20 hours straight the day it was delivered, the delivery person put our envelope of documents in a green fabric bag and left it on my driveway.

 

The marriage certificate was ruined, the rest of the documents stained green. Everything was in one of those waxy waterproof envelopes with "do not bend" stamps and everything. The legible documents I blow-dried and made unwarped copies of, but the certificate was completely illegible. It was our only certified copy. We ordered a new one but I'm already in Montreal staying at a hotel, and I'm pretty concerned it won't make it here in time. 

 

To make matters worse, Facebook deleted all our communications before 2016 (5 years worth if contact) so we don't have much evidence of relationship early on besides me being on military orders and paperwork listing me as a dependant and a few photos. 

 

So from anyone knowledgeable's personal opinion... how screwed am I? What should I do now?  Thanks for any insight. 

Any document that they require that is not in acceptable form, they will issue a 221g and your Visa will not continue to process until they get it.


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they still legible?  

I would order up new copies now. You may not need them but that way you can let the interviewing officer know that fresh copies have been ordered if there is any issue. It also gives you a head start on getting them. I would be so mad at FedEx!  

 


Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍
 
N400
06/30/2019 - Filed online
06/30/2019 - NOA1
07/16/2019 - Biometrics completed (early walk in - successful) 
⏱⏱⏱ ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

youll probably get an rfe for the marriage certificate. not a biggie, really.

 

the facebook stuff you dont need anyways.

Oh gosh I hope so. 

This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wbeem said:

Are they still legible?  

I would order up new copies now. You may not need them but that way you can let the interviewing officer know that fresh copies have been ordered if there is any issue. It also gives you a head start on getting them. I would be so mad at FedEx!  

 

Everything but the cert, you couldn't make out the names. I called to complain and they asked me what my tracking number was and didn't even apologize. 😥 So I left them a scathing email and warned my friends against using them. 

 

New copies are on their way from Virginia to Texas thankfully. I appreciate your response! It helped me to feel less stressed. 

Edited by Kept
Forgot to answer question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread is moved from the K-3 Process forum to the CR-1 Case Progress subforum.


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...