Oaftobark

K1 joint sponsor- am i missing something?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, im confused about whats needed for the interview (at the london embassy) for the k1 visa.   

Im using a joint sponsor, do i need the original documents such as the birth certificate for my sponsors? Or will a copy be enough?

Also, do i need the w2s even though we have the last 3 years tax return transcripts?

Finally, do we need the original and a copy of every document?

Thanks

Oli

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

The transcripts only work together with the W2's so yes, you need them. Without them they're worthless.

Copys are good enough unless the instruction say different.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

23 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

The transcripts only work together with the W2's so yes, you need them. Without them they're worthless.

Copys are good enough unless the instruction say different.

Theres a difference between transcripts and returns.

Official IRS tax transcripts are enough on their own

you only need the w2s if you are sending IRS form 1040 or other schedules. 

You either need a tax return + W2 combo OR Tax transcripts.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Oaftobark said:

Hello, im confused about whats needed for the interview (at the london embassy) for the k1 visa.   

Im using a joint sponsor, do i need the original documents such as the birth certificate for my sponsors? Or will a copy be enough?

Also, do i need the w2s even though we have the last 3 years tax return transcripts?

Finally, do we need the original and a copy of every document?

Thanks

Oli

This is my LONDON K1 answer.

Original birth certificate:

I have never known of a K1 being asked for a proof of US citizenship for a joint sponsor. That is a requirement written in the law for an I-864 Affidavit of Support used for spouse visas and for Adjustment of Status. It is not specified in the Foreign Affairs Manual for your K1 visa. My answer would be you don't need it at all, but if you want to take photocopies anyway, that's up to you. 

Tax returns:

A sponsor can show their tax information in two different ways. 

1. A photocopy of the whole tax return with all forms and schedules PLUS a photocopy of the W2. That W2 backs up the income reported on the tax return. Anybody could fill out a fake return so the W2 gives it some validity
  2. A tax return transcript from the IRS. Nothing needed with it because it came from the IRS and they know what you filed and they know what income your employer reported on your W2. So no W2 with transcript.

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I have more to add, but I inadvertently hit "Submit" to my previous when I was part way through and had to hurry and finish what I started while my edit opportunity was open.

So for a K1 in London, I can tell you that only one year of tax returns would be just fine and enough to get approved. The exception for your joint sponsor would be if that tax filing is a joint return with his spouse and shows both their incomes lumped together. Then it would not be clear if the person sponsoring made enough on his own. Add an employer letter verifying his salary and you are in great shape. London does not require a K1 sponsor prove income in five different ways. In fact, many have been approved with only an employer letter. And many have been approved with only an I-134 from the one with enough income (joint sponsor) and no I-134 from the fiancé. 

Concerning originals and photocopies in general. I know their website says to bring both, and it used to be required so they could file the photocopy and give back your original after viewing it. But in reality, they do not want photocopies anymore. They haven't taken them for about two years now. Many have said that when they tell about their interview experience. The embassy looks at your original birth certificate (or maybe a divorce decree or military record) and scans it for a digital,record.  They are going more digital every year with things like online submission of a DS-160. When I did this, I had four paper forms to fill out and mail in via Royal Mail and wait for them to mail me back an appointment. Now it's one DS-160 and off via the internet and pick you own appointment online too. So don't go crazy with the photocopies because you're going to come home with them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.