babyblue22

How long do we have to get a co sponsor after interview?

28 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, babyblue22 said:

but my husbands income is 26k, why do I still need it to be 3 times more? 

That's for the assets

They told me the same thing at my interview (CR1) and we ended up putting down my co-sponsor house as an asset. They finally accepted it and I was approved. I didn't get a time frame either, at least I don't recall one. 

1 minute ago, little immigrant said:

That's for the assets

They told me the same thing at my interview (CR1) and we ended up putting down my co-sponsor house as an asset. They finally accepted it and I was approved. I didn't get a time frame either, at least I don't recall one. 

What was the co sponsors income before adding the asset? did your spouse have no income at all?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
42 minutes ago, babyblue22 said:

if his income is 26k then you are above the poverty line and won't need a co-sponsor or use your own assets. 

as to why they require 3-5 times the value; I have no idea. 

https://www.***removed***/affidavit-of-support/using-assets-meet-income-requirements.html

Edited by Canadian87

3/1/2019 ~ Mailed in via lawyer to Chicago Lockbox

3/15/2019 ~ USCIS Processed payment

3/16/2019 ~ Received NOA1

3/23/2019 ~ Received Biometrics Appointment

4/2/2019 ~ Biometrics Appointment

4/10/2019 ~ Status of I-485 changed to 'Ready for Interview'

4/15/2019 ~ Interview has been scheduled

5/22/2019 ~ Had to reschedule interview the day before

6/12/2019 ~ Received new interview date

7/25/2019 ~ Interview: Approved!!

8/2/2019 ~ GC IN HAND!!

--

4/25/2021 ~ Apply for ROC

5/1/2021 ~ Package sent lawyer

6/9/2021 ~ Package sent to USCIS

6/14/2021 ~ Status Change: Case was Received

--

08/31/2022 ~ Mailed N-400 Package to Lawyer

09/09/2022 ~ Package being mailed to USCIS

09/12/2022 ~ Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

09/14/2022 ~ Check cashed by USCIS

09/20/2022 ~ I-797C received in mail - Status: USCIS is actively reviewing...

09/16/2022 ~ I-797C stating that the biometrics will be reused 

10/22/2022 ~ Status changed to 'Interview has been Scheduled'

12/08/2022 ~ N-400/I-751 Combo Interview

12/10/2022 ~ Status Change: Recommended for approval

12/10/2022 ~ Status Change: Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled

12/17/2022 ~ Status Change: Oath Ceremony Notice has been Mailed

1 minute ago, Canadian87 said:

if his income is 26k then you are above the poverty line and won't need a co-sponsor or use your own assets. 

as to why they require 3-5 times the value; I have no idea. 

https://www.***removed***/affidavit-of-support/using-assets-meet-income-requirements.html

He didn't work in 2017 so this is why we are worried.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

26k is above the requirement, but the requirements is just a "guideline"... at the interview the CO could take many factors into consideration such as location the petitioner lives (a.k.a cost of living) and determine that amount just wouldn't be enough for two people. Just meeting the or surpassing the minimum is not always enough. And to be honest, that is not much for two people to live on anywhere.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

39 minutes ago, babyblue22 said:

No, what he means is the assets counts only in ratio of 1:3 -1:5 when you converts into income. For example, if you have $30,000 worth of assets, it will be treated as $10,000 worth of income, so that will make the sponsoring income effectively $36,000. Is that gonna the be enough? Who knows? The CO makes that decision, based on the totality of your circumstances, such as where you live, age, medical history, ... For example, $26k or $36k is nowhere near enough if you live in NYC or LA, maybe enough if you live in the Appalachians and you grow on own food and milk your own cows. Obviously the older you are, the more medical costs you will encounter so they take that into account. If you have a medical condition that requires lots of monthly costs, they will take a look at that too, ... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

One thing that has become clear these last few months, is that COs are cracking down on the public charge concern at the interview when looking at the I-1864 and the petitioner's US-based income.  They look at the totality of the situation, the minimums are sometimes not enough.  We have seen many recent examples here on VJ of COs asking for a co-sponsor, and sometimes even after providing one, they are still refused on the public charge issue.  As for time to get a co-sponsor if they ask for one at the interview, you can stretch it out for a year if needed.  There was a thread yesterday here on VJ where a couple did not provide a co-sponsor within a year of being denied a visa at the interview, and three years after the interview they finally found one.  When they submitted it to the consulate they discovered that their file had been destroyed so they have to start all over again with a new I-130.  So if you need a co-sponsor, you will have about a year.  I would suggest that you add all the assets you can to the I-864 as it will help your case.  Good luck with your interview!

Edited by carmel34

1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

One thing that has become clear these last few months, is that COs are cracking down on the public charge concern at the interview when looking at the I-1864 and the petitioner's US-based income.  They look at the totality of the situation, the minimums are sometimes not enough.  We have seen many recent examples here on VJ of COs asking for a co-sponsor, and sometimes even after providing one, they are still refused on the public charge issue.  As for time to get a co-sponsor if they ask for one at the interview, you can stretch it out for a year if needed.  There was a thread yesterday here on VJ where a couple did not provide a co-sponsor within a year of being denied a visa at the interview, and three years after the interview they finally found one.  When they submitted it to the consulate they discovered that their file had been destroyed so they have to start all over again with a new I-130.  So if you need a co-sponsor, you will have about a year.  I would suggest that you add all the assets you can to the I-864 as it will help your case.  Good luck with your interview!

If they ask for a co sponsor, will there be another interview? or just to send them the updated forms?

When we were asked for a cosponsor for K-1, the paper said that my husband (fiance at the time) had a year to submit the documents before the application for the visa would be considered abandoned. You will need to make sure that if you want to take a year, that you keep in contact with the embassy to keep your case "alive". There have been people who just never had any communication with the embassy after the interview because they were waiting to get their 221g requested documents together, and the embassy went ahead and closed the case based on nothing going on with it.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

18 hours ago, givionte said:

I would try to line up a joint sponsor right away, as a backup, and just hang on to the file and be ready to submit if they do RFE for a joint sponsor.  Should they not need it, you can shred or hand back the papers to your joint sponsor.

The delays an RFE can cause can set you back several months sometimes, so I wouldn't want to be in a position to be running around begging people to sponsor your spouse.

Which file are you referring to? Is there a specific document needed to be filled out for co-sponsors? 

3 hours ago, ValeCali said:

Which file are you referring to? Is there a specific document needed to be filled out for co-sponsors? 

I-864 affidavit of support form, along with all required documents mentioned in the instructions.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.