totobio

Is this Normal?

73 posts in this topic

I had my interview together with my family on December 6, 2018 in Accra. During the interview, the consular who interviewed us said approved our visas and congratulated us. He kept our passports and photocopies of our civil documents. He further said we should expect our passports with visas in 2 weeks.

As I write this letter, we are yet to have our passports back; its been over 7 months since our interview. We have not heard from the consulate on any feedback or a request for additional information. Our checks on https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx, since our interview has always shown our case has been scheduled for interview (i.e. status shows READY).

We understand that sometimes cases of this nature must undergo additional background checks to establish full eligibility for a visa, and these checks can take months. We also understand as an applicant I also have the right to follow-up on my case after about 6 months. I have sent more than 50 emails to the emails provided by the consulate for feedback (i.e.support-ghana@ustraveldocs.com, DVaccra@state.gov) with no response or whatsoever from both emails.

1. What other remedies do we have to get any feedback or response from the consulate?

2. is this a regular occurrence? I know most people get a response or have their AP cleared by the 6th month.

3. Given historical data and events, which month do cases like mine usually receive some attention?

4. Is it possible they are unable to make a decision as a results of misplacing a passport or some of it?

5. Given that we have just about 2 months plus for the 2019 program to end, could I miss my chance?

Edited by totobio
paragraphing

Simple question, have you put enough detail in your email queries for them to know that you are the applicant (case number, DOB)? They can't just send out responses to emails without confirming who it is, especially in a country like Ghana that is full of "unauthorized agents".

Is there a phone number you can call?

Was there a courier company to register with to get your passport back or were you to fetch it yourself? If a courier company, have you contacted them?

I agree it is strange that you have heard nothing back but not really sure what else you can do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

At this point I would consider setting up an appointment at the consulate.  I realize that this may be logistically difficult, but face-to-face might be better than emails.

Good Luck! 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Thanks @SusieQQQ for your quick response.

1. All my emails accompany my case number and in some cases my passport number and that of my dependents.

2. There is no 'direct phone number' to the consulate. The available phone numbers goes to ustraveldocs(an agency that processes usually non-immigrant visa appointments). That agency does not sit at the consulate, I believe it is offshore. They will usually take my message and tell me they will follow-up. Its been just that and no feedback.

3. After my interview I was given a collections instruction sheet to register with DHL for pick-up, I have been to DHL severally even though they are to send sms but there is no record of my passport ever being delivered there. Indeed, if my passport was ready for pick-up, the ustraveldocs agency would have been able to give me update when I call.

It's disappointing as it is frustrating. I did not expect the USA consulate have such low standard of client relations or a courtesy of care to its clients. I have kids involved and to think that they can keep my passport when they are not ready to issue the visas is the lowest point of thought I could ever have of them.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I would also suggest taking a look at the Ghana sub-forum. They may have suggestions as to how to follow-up. I know that many have waited extended amounts of time from that location. Best of luck!

Just now, Bill & Katya said:

At this point I would consider setting up an appointment at the consulate.  I realize that this may be logistically difficult, but face-to-face might be better than emails.

Good Luck! 

Thanks @Bill & Katya, there is no way to set-up an appointment with the U.S. consulate in Accra unless you are seeking an appointment for a visa interview which requires payment of a visa fees that gives you a code to book your appointment online. I do not even have my passport to go through that process.

Phew, I'm sorry. It looks like you've done all you can. I don't know what else to advise other than hoping you get them back soon. Unfortunately some US embassies are really hard to get through to and Accra is one of those. 

Just now, Moon&Stars said:

I would also suggest taking a look at the Ghana sub-forum. They may have suggestions as to how to follow-up. I know that many have waited extended amounts of time from that location. Best of luck!

Thanks, my work place is about 20 minutes drive from the consulate. The guards and clerks at the consulate would have nothing to do with you without an interview appointment or a scheduled appointment occasioned by the consulate themselves; either for a follow-up interview or some sort of an administrative process.

Timeline
1 minute ago, totobio said:

Thanks @Bill & Katya, there is no way to set-up an appointment with the U.S. consulate in Accra unless you are seeking an appointment for a visa interview which requires payment of a visa fees that gives you a code to book your appointment online. I do not even have my passport to go through that process.

There has to be some way as they have your property (passport).  Of course I am not familiar with this consulate, but it seems there should be a way.  Maybe not.  Have you tried sending them a letter?

Good Luck!

Just now, Bill & Katya said:

There has to be some way as they have your property (passport).  Of course I am not familiar with this consulate, but it seems there should be a way.  Maybe not.  Have you tried sending them a letter?

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot, I am sending them a letter through the mail tomorrow as an option. I have records of all my emails printed as well as proof.

Timeline
1 minute ago, totobio said:

Thanks a lot, I am sending them a letter through the mail tomorrow as an option. I have records of all my emails printed as well as proof.

Hopefully you hear something back.

Good Luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
11 minutes ago, totobio said:

Thanks, my work place is about 20 minutes drive from the consulate. The guards and clerks at the consulate would have nothing to do with you without an interview appointment or a scheduled appointment occasioned by the consulate themselves; either for a follow-up interview or some sort of an administrative process.

yeah, I could see that happening. I meant to check out the sub-forum here on VJ. There are other users that have been through this from Ghana that can speak to how they have been able to resolve situations like this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.