netz75

Need information about N-600 for minor kids

37 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, geowrian said:

How so...?

Children of Fiancee visa are included in mother's application right? While each Children of spouse visa you file and pay then application separately and if its CR1 and CR2 you need file and pay again each of applications for removal of condation 

1 hour ago, netz75 said:

Children of Fiancee visa are included in mother's application right? While each Children of spouse visa you file and pay then application separately and if its CR1 and CR2 you need file and pay again each of applications for removal of condation 

The K-1/K-2 has the I-129F + K-1/K-2 visa fees + 2 x AOS fees.

The CR-1/CR-2 path has 2 x I-130 fees + 2 x visa fees + 2 x immigrant fees.

The total cost with the K-1 or K-2 is greater due to the AOS fees. A K-2 filing at the same time as the parent can qualify for a reduced AOS fee, but even then it's not cheaper.

People tend to forget about the AOS fees when doing the K visa path. AOS is actually the most expensive part of the process.

Both processes have the same ROC costs.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

11 hours ago, geowrian said:

The K-1/K-2 has the I-129F + K-1/K-2 visa fees + 2 x AOS fees.

The CR-1/CR-2 path has 2 x I-130 fees + 2 x visa fees + 2 x immigrant fees.

The total cost with the K-1 or K-2 is greater due to the AOS fees. A K-2 filing at the same time as the parent can qualify for a reduced AOS fee, but even then it's not cheaper.

People tend to forget about the AOS fees when doing the K visa path. AOS is actually the most expensive part of the process.

Both processes have the same ROC costs.

thank you for that information, So K-1/k-2 and CR-1/CR-2 are almost the same,  its better to get married and wait for 2 years then apply for IR-1/IR-2 less hassle no need ROC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 6/15/2019 at 2:47 PM, Y3+E said:

My wife just passed her N-400 interview today; she has two daughters under 18.  The day that she takes her oath, we will apply for U.S Passports for the two daughters.  And, after much serious thought, we have decided to also submit two N-600 applications for Certificate of Citizenship.  (I say serious thought because each N-600 will cost us $1,170.)  

The national news is so terrible with so many administration initiatives to curb immigration - both illegal and legal.  U.S. Citizens are having their U.S. Passports revoked or not renewed!!

I am concerned that decades from now, if our daughters lose their passport, they will have no evidence of U.S. Citizenship through naturalization of their mother.  

Then our daughter would have to assemble a packet of "Secondary Evidence" to prove U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent.  They would be required to submit:  

• Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Your parent(s)’ naturalization certificate
  • Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
  • Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday) 
  • Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)
  • Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:
    • Your parents' marriage certificate dated after your birth
    • Certified court order of legitimation 

There is no way that our teen daughters will faithfully maintain all of the above ORIGINAL documents for the rest of their lives.  Yes, they can apply for a renewed passport, but what if they run into bureaucratic obstacles?  It's simpler to get them a Certificate of Citizenship now, albeit irrationally expensive!

I have to agree with you. Even though it is cheaper to just proceed with the passport, I also think it is very important for the children to have their own Certificate of Naturalization. I am going through the same process and I also decided that as soon as I obtain my Citizenship I will apply for my son's N-600. The immigration laws in this country seem to be more restrictive every year and who knows how different they will be by the time they are adults.

I also attended a free-session on how to obtain your U.S. Citizenship at my local library and when we were discussing my son's situation, he mentioned both routes. Just applying for the passport would be enough. However, he also made mention that he had heard that sometimes when they apply to Colleges and never obtained the N-600, it created confusion, because under the immigration system, they were still listed as permanent residents and not U.S. citizens. If they never applied for the N-600, they never surrendered their green card.

I feel that when it comes to immigration it is best to proceed on the safe side. I know it can be expensive, but if something goes wrong later on, you will spend thousands of dollars on an immigration lawyer trying to solve the situation. 

Just my 2 cents for the day :) 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 6/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, TopGear77 said:

i need to translate a birth certificate for that process. however i have heard my options for the translation. One of them is that anyone can translate the document.

is that right?

Yes, my roommate who is fluent in English and Spanish will translate them for me and then we will just go to Amscot or a Bank to have them notarized

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

It is unfortunate that the N-600 is so expensive and the fees keep going up every year. Two posters have pointed out very valid reasons to apply for N-600 and get certificate of citizenship. While your kids are genuine US citizens and will have the passport to prove that, passports are issued by the State Department and not the USCIS. So the USCIS still lists them as permanent resident, not citizens. I dont see the government spending on the technology to integrate all this anytime soon. 

In the meantime, the burden to prove their citizenship when the passport is lost or stolen (say, in a foreign country) will be on the kids. I dont want my kid to go through this process - so I plan to eat this cost when I naturalize. I also dont want them to struggle to reach me/get access to my documentation during such a time. 

Another scenario is when they apply for a government job or security clearance which checks with USCIS and finds an inconsistency there. Just more delays, fees, hurdles, frustration. At that time, the cost will be much higher for them to bear, when they should be saving their limited resources for an emergency!

When your kids want to sponsor a spouse in the future, they will need their certificate of citizenship # or other identifier to prove their citizenship. Again, this will be a hurdle for them. 

OP, when your finances improve, please consider getting the COC for your kids. They will thank you in the future.

Edited by ponyo_rocks

I still say there has not been a good reason presented as to why an N-600 is needed. There are certainly reasons as to why it makes one feel more reassured, but otherwise items pointed out appear contrived.

A US passport is absolutely evidence of one's US citizenship (even if expired).

For petitioning purposes, the US passport is perfectly suitable.

There's not evidence of a security clearance issue or delay caused by lack of a certificate.

Changes in the law would not change anything here (well, unless the law is explicitly changed to make the certificate a requirement).

If somebody carried all evidence of their identity when traveling abroad - native born USC or naturalized and w/ a certificate - then they already put themselves in a very bad situation.

In the event the passport was lost or stolen while abroad, one would be dealing with DOS to resolve the issue. They know you're a USC already....you would just need to prove your identity (the certificate wouldn't help here unless you carried that with you abroad...and then I point the point above again).

Somebody once brought up that DOS can revoke your passport (re: the case of the USC ISIS fighter wanting to return to the US) if they determine that it was improperly issued. But there is no reason to believe the certificate would be any less invalid as well, nor is the certificate a valid travel document in lieu of a passport.

Colleges are a little unique in that I have heard them request the certificate (or at least the number) as evidence of citizenship. A couple minute conversation as to how a passport is perfectly fine should resolve that (probably faster than digging out the certificate!).

Schools have absolutely no basis to check your citizenship status against USCIS. If you claim that you are a USC and provide evidence of being a USC, there is absolutely no reason for them to touch SAVE, USCIS directly, etc.

Disclosures:

I worked in higher education for years in the IT field, including working very closely with admissions.

I hold several security clearances as necessary for local, sate, and federal government agencies. I have FBI background checks (with fingerprinting) as part of those every 6 months.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

17 hours ago, monica7777 said:

I have to agree with you. Even though it is cheaper to just proceed with the passport, I also think it is very important for the children to have their own Certificate of Naturalization. I am going through the same process and I also decided that as soon as I obtain my Citizenship I will apply for my son's N-600. The immigration laws in this country seem to be more restrictive every year and who knows how different they will be by the time they are adults.

I also attended a free-session on how to obtain your U.S. Citizenship at my local library and when we were discussing my son's situation, he mentioned both routes. Just applying for the passport would be enough. However, he also made mention that he had heard that sometimes when they apply to Colleges and never obtained the N-600, it created confusion, because under the immigration system, they were still listed as permanent residents and not U.S. citizens. If they never applied for the N-600, they never surrendered their green card.

I feel that when it comes to immigration it is best to proceed on the safe side. I know it can be expensive, but if something goes wrong later on, you will spend thousands of dollars on an immigration lawyer trying to solve the situation. 

Just my 2 cents for the day :) 

It took us five weeks to get the mother's U.S. passport, applying though a Post Office.  We just applied for #1 Daughter's passport.  We had to wait until her mother's passport had been issued and her original Naturalization Certificate returned.  Then we submitted the mother's original naturalization certificate with the daughter's passport application.  (This is so tedious.  We will wait until the certificate is returned a second time, then apply for #2 Daughter's passport.  The powers to be will not allow us to batch process three passport applications; the USCIS site says each passport application may go to different offices).  And yes, we had to submit the Green Cards with the passport applications.  So, no Green Card as secondary evidence to prove citizenship via naturalization of the mother in the event the daughters' passports are lost or not renewed for some reason long after I am dead (but, free of all the USCIS requirements :-).  It was a bit difficult to surrender the 10-year Green Cards.  It took us 409 days to get them via the I-751 process.  We had them for less than a year.  But, seeing a U.S. Passport in hand is such a great feeling after working our way through the I-130, NVC, Embassy Interview, I-751, and N-400 processes.  Best wishes to all here!!

19 hours ago, Y3+E said:

It took us five weeks to get the mother's U.S. passport, applying though a Post Office.  We just applied for #1 Daughter's passport.  We had to wait until her mother's passport had been issued and her original Naturalization Certificate returned.  Then we submitted the mother's original naturalization certificate with the daughter's passport application.  (This is so tedious.  We will wait until the certificate is returned a second time, then apply for #2 Daughter's passport.  The powers to be will not allow us to batch process three passport applications; the USCIS site says each passport application may go to different offices).  And yes, we had to submit the Green Cards with the passport applications.

Did you call NPIC (not USCIS)? https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/contact-us/passports.html Another user had a similar situation, but they didn't share what NPIC told them: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/713318-child-passport-after-parent-naturalization/?do=findComment&comment=9796908

On 8/29/2019 at 3:56 PM, ponyo_rocks said:

It is unfortunate that the N-600 is so expensive and the fees keep going up every year. Two posters have pointed out very valid reasons to apply for N-600 and get certificate of citizenship. While your kids are genuine US citizens and will have the passport to prove that, passports are issued by the State Department and not the USCIS. So the USCIS still lists them as permanent resident, not citizens. I dont see the government spending on the technology to integrate all this anytime soon. 

In the meantime, the burden to prove their citizenship when the passport is lost or stolen (say, in a foreign country) will be on the kids. I dont want my kid to go through this process - so I plan to eat this cost when I naturalize. I also dont want them to struggle to reach me/get access to my documentation during such a time. 

Another scenario is when they apply for a government job or security clearance which checks with USCIS and finds an inconsistency there. Just more delays, fees, hurdles, frustration. At that time, the cost will be much higher for them to bear, when they should be saving their limited resources for an emergency!

When your kids want to sponsor a spouse in the future, they will need their certificate of citizenship # or other identifier to prove their citizenship. Again, this will be a hurdle for them. 

OP, when your finances improve, please consider getting the COC for your kids. They will thank you in the future.

I do believe that N-600 are optional in the case of my kids, its only for the minor that still outside in the US at the time of naturalization, passport is enough evidence for citizenship, State Department will not issue the passport if your kids are not qualify through verification in USCIS 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.