Vizcaya16

Annulment: Filipina married in HK

13 posts in this topic

Hi Friends,

I need some guidance. I am a filipina who was married in Hong Kong 22 years ago. At that time we registered our marriage in Philippines Consulate, Hong Kong. We have been separated for 14 years now. I moved to USA in 2008. I filed for divorce in USA and got it done in 2012. I got married in USA and Philippines Consulate in NYC is giving hard time to change my last name(from my Ex)  in my Philippines passport. I tried to explain that I was never married in Philippines, I registered my marriage in HK Phil Consulate at birth of my baby. The divorce cert from USA should be able to update my information in NSO. However, Phil Consulate still insisting me to get Annulment Certificate. I am just confused. How can Philippines Marriage Law can bind me when I am never married in Philippines? Can any one who has better understanding of this guide me further? 

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Vizcaya16 said:

Hi Friends,

I need some guidance. I am a filipina who was married in Hong Kong 22 years ago. At that time we registered our marriage in Philippines Consulate, Hong Kong. We have been separated for 14 years now. I moved to USA in 2008. I filed for divorce in USA and got it done in 2012. I got married in USA and Philippines Consulate in NYC is giving hard time to change my last name(from my Ex)  in my Philippines passport. I tried to explain that I was never married in Philippines, I registered my marriage in HK Phil Consulate at birth of my baby. The divorce cert from USA should be able to update my information in NSO. However, Phil Consulate still insisting me to get Annulment Certificate. I am just confused. How can Philippines Marriage Law can bind me when I am never married in Philippines? Can any one who has better understanding of this guide me further? 

Thanks,

How?   You registered your marriage .. you are shown as married with PSA in the Philippines.

You can get the PSA (changed from NSO a few years back) recorded changed, but it takes time & money.  You would need to complete the Recognition of Divorce process in the Philippines.   You do not need the annulment process.

https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/annotation-effects-divorce-declared-foreign-country

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

16 minutes ago, Vizcaya16 said:

Hi Friends,

Thanks,

You were married in PI.......

:idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

Immigration Journey:

• Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
  • "..case ready to be scheduled for interview" on 5/29/2019

To simplify everything, like you said you registered you marriage at the Philippines consulate in Hong Kong , anything you do on the grounds that embassy is sitting on is the same as if you were standing in Manila. Anything done on any foreign consulate soil is treated the same as if you were in your home country. 

1 hour ago, Vizcaya16 said:

Hi Friends,

Thanks,

You are mistaking semantics. Because you were not married on Philippine's soil, you believe that it qualifies as never being officially married by the Philippine government. This is not true, you register the marriage with the Philippine government. It doesn't matter if it was in the Philippines or another country. 

Please take the advice from @Hank_

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Married is married.  Since you filed the ROM, you are also considered legally married in the Philippines.  Looks like recognition of foreign divorce or annulment are the only options.

June 6,  2017 - Filed the K-1

April 20, 2018 - K-1 refused

June 11, 2018 - Got married in Pateros, Metro Manila

September 10, 2018 - Filed the CR-1

September 11, 2018 - Priority Date

September 14, 2018 -  NOA-1

January 22, 2019 -  NOA-2 

February 7, 2019 -  NVC Received

March 14, 2019 -  NVC Case Number Assigned

March 15, 2019 -  Paid AOS 

March 15, 2019 -  Paid IV Fee 

March 16, 2019 -  Expedite Request Accepted

March 28, 2019 -  IV Paperwork Submitted

May 1, 2019 -  First "Documentarily Qualified" email (Wife)

May 22, 2019 -  Second "Documentarily Qualified" email (Step-Son)

May 23, 2019 -  Third "Documentarily Qualified" email (Step-Daughter) 

May 24, 2019 -  Petitions "In Transit"

May 25, 2019 -  Petitions "Ready"

June 2, 2019 -  Packet 3 received

June 25, 2019 -  Interviews

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY.   These are the only ones that can attend the seminar without their visa.

IMG_6043.jpeg.f00e0714733e6533148a7bb56d286460.jpeg

2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

How?   You registered your marriage .. you are shown as married with PSA in the Philippines.

You can get the PSA (changed from NSO a few years back) recorded changed, but it takes time & money.  You would need to complete the Recognition of Divorce process in the Philippines.   You do not need the annulment process.

https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/annotation-effects-divorce-declared-foreign-country

Thanks for the information. I will follow up on this.👍

11 hours ago, Hank_ said:

She moved to the USA in 2008 so I agree with you that she does not need the Annulment process *IF* she is also now a US Citizen which seems likely but not necessarily true.  Also, not sure if the timing of her divorce in 2012 relative to her citizenship status is relevant.  If she was divorced prior to becoming a USC can the recognition of foreign divorce still be processed in the Philippines if she was not a USC at the time of the divorce?  

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JE57 said:

She moved to the USA in 2008 so I agree with you that she does not need the Annulment process *IF* she is also now a US Citizen which seems likely but not necessarily true.  Also, not sure if the timing of her divorce in 2012 relative to her citizenship status is relevant.  If she was divorced prior to becoming a USC can the recognition of foreign divorce still be processed in the Philippines if she was not a USC at the time of the divorce?  

Doesn't matter if she was a USC or not at the time of divorce as she was married to a foreigner (Hong Kong).. that is the key requirement for the recognition that one party of the marriage is a foreigner.  If she was a USC when she filed the divorce that covers the requirement also .. as she is a foreigner (icing on the cake)  .. ;)  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy  : Click Here

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

12 hours ago, JE57 said:

I was divorced in 2012 before getting married in 2013. I just became USC. I am trying get my dual citizenship and my husband really wants me to get rid of last name of my Ex from my Philippines passport and records. Phil Consulate in NYC requested CENOMAR and I am waiting for it. Online check is mentioning PSA is having record of my marriage. I am not sure which marriage record it will be? I registered at HK in 90s and in NYC in 2013. Once I receive CEMAR which is most probably the HK one, I have my relatives start the process in Manila for recognition of Foreign Divorce as guided by @Hank_

Thanks,

On 6/8/2019 at 9:16 PM, Hank_ said:

Doesn't matter if she was a USC or not at the time of divorce as she was married to a foreigner (Hong Kong).. that is the key requirement for the recognition that one party of the marriage is a foreigner.  If she was a USC when she filed the divorce that covers the requirement also .. as she is a foreigner (icing on the cake)  .. ;)  

@hank Thanks I missed the fact that the marriage in HK was likely not to another Philippines citizen so yeah that makes sense.   Thanks!  

On 6/9/2019 at 12:05 AM, Vizcaya16 said:

I was divorced in 2012 before getting married in 2013. I just became USC. I am trying get my dual citizenship and my husband really wants me to get rid of last name of my Ex from my Philippines passport and records. Phil Consulate in NYC requested CENOMAR and I am waiting for it. Online check is mentioning PSA is having record of my marriage. I am not sure which marriage record it will be? I registered at HK in 90s and in NYC in 2013. Once I receive CEMAR which is most probably the HK one, I have my relatives start the process in Manila for recognition of Foreign Divorce as guided by @Hank_

Thanks,

Good Luck.. Hope you are able to process it relatively quickly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.