11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Does anyone know how long can an approved K1 petition remain at the Consulate? We're expecting USCIS to adjudicate our petition soon, however I've encountered some issues with renewing my Romanian passport. How long can I delay the interview before the Consulate decides to cancel it? 

I'm hoping to have my renewed passport by September, maybe October and we applied for the Visa in March. any info will be great!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ion Paladii said:

Does anyone know how long can an approved K1 petition remain at the Consulate? We're expecting USCIS to adjudicate our petition soon, however I've encountered some issues with renewing my Romanian passport. How long can I delay the interview before the Consulate decides to cancel it? 

I'm hoping to have my renewed passport by September, maybe October and we applied for the Visa in March. any info will be great!

Up to a year 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Up to a year 

oh so I can just wait out until my passport is ready and then schedule the appointment? that's good to hear. will delaying the appointment cause any delays with issuing the Visa?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your NOA2 is valid for 4 months, you should get into contact with the consulate after you get your NOA2 to extend it if they don't automatically. Other than this, remember to not get your medical until close to your interview so that it too doesn't expire before you use your visa to enter the US.

K1 Visa Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/00/2019    Interview approved!

04/01/2019    Visa issued

04/02/2019    Visa received in mail

04/06/2019    POE

05/04/2019    Wedding

Adjustment Of Status Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

05/31/2019    I-485, I-131 and I-765 sent

06/10/2019    NOA1 (electronic) & check cashed

06/11/2019    NOA1 hard copies

07/05/2019    Biometrics walk-in

09/30/2019    Interview scheduled (electronic notification)

10/23/2019    EAD/AP approved

11/00/2019    AOS Interview approved!

11/08/2019    Green card is being produced

11/16/2019    Green card in hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ion Paladii said:

oh so I can just wait out until my passport is ready and then schedule the appointment? that's good to hear. will delaying the appointment cause any delays with issuing the Visa?

It will delay it for however long you delay it for.   

YMMV

Like most things with these things, it may depend on the embassy.  My friend applied for his fiancee and their K-1 petition got approved by USCIS really really fast.  Much faster than he expected, so he had to stall the interview because his fiancee had a 10 year ban that had 6 months left to go.  They got approved in January 2018 I think, and they interviewed in July (2 days after her ban was up) and she was approved no problem.  He was very straight-forward with them about the reason and they understood.

If you explain to them about your passport situation, they may very well work with you. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Ion Paladii said:

NOA2 is valid for four months. When CEAC says it is ready then you must call them/email. Usually they answer the phone at the immigrant visa unit in Bucharest. Also they answer e-mails in an acceptable rate. Ask them to extend your NOA2 because you are having problems obtaining a passport (which is weird, but hope u can sort it out). They might ask the reason and you should tell the truth about the passport issue.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

NOA2 is valid for four months. When CEAC says it is ready then you must call them/email. Usually they answer the phone at the immigrant visa unit in Bucharest. Also they answer e-mails in an acceptable rate. Ask them to extend your NOA2 because you are having problems obtaining a passport (which is weird, but hope u can sort it out). They might ask the reason and you should tell the truth about the passport issue.

I already have a passport which sadly expires in November. So it won't qualify for a Visa. The issue i have is that the Romanian consulate has the most broken system I have ever seen. You have to apply for an appointment online on a website. Then after you apply you have to choose the date you wish to have your appointment. However, no matter what date I select it tells me there's no appointment available. I manually added dates up until the year 2025!! And still no open spots. How is it even possible to not be able to book an appointment after 6 years??

31 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

Like most things with these things, it may depend on the embassy.  My friend applied for his fiancee and their K-1 petition got approved by USCIS really really fast.  Much faster than he expected, so he had to stall the interview because his fiancee had a 10 year ban that had 6 months left to go.  They got approved in January 2018 I think, and they interviewed in July (2 days after her ban was up) and she was approved no problem.  He was very straight-forward with them about the reason and they understood.

If you explain to them about your passport situation, they may very well work with you. 

thank you, this is what we will do!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ion Paladii said:

I already have a passport which sadly expires in November. So it won't qualify for a Visa. The issue i have is that the Romanian consulate has the most broken system I have ever seen. You have to apply for an appointment online on a website. Then after you apply you have to choose the date you wish to have your appointment. However, no matter what date I select it tells me there's no appointment available. I manually added dates up until the year 2025!! And still no open spots. How is it even possible to not be able to book an appointment after 6 years??

thank you, this is what we will do!

Ahh so you are not in Romania. Might be easier and faster to fly home and get a new passport.... 

Yeah I heard stories of ppl waiting for passports for months from a Romanian consulate.

Gladly I never needed to deal with the Romanian consulate abroad.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Ahh so you are not in Romania. Might be easier and faster to fly home and get a new passport.... 

Yeah I heard stories of ppl waiting for passports for months from a Romanian consulate.

Gladly I never needed to deal with the Romanian consulate abroad.

Sadly i can't just fly home. I'm not originally from Romania, i just have the citizenship to travel/live in Europe. Though i am definitely considering going to Bucuresti and hopefully sort it there faster than the Consulate... If it is possible for someone who officially lives outside of Romania to just go back and issue a renewal...

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Ion Paladii said:

Sadly i can't just fly home. I'm not originally from Romania, i just have the citizenship to travel/live in Europe. Though i am definitely considering going to Bucuresti and hopefully sort it there faster than the Consulate... If it is possible for someone who officially lives outside of Romania to just go back and issue a renewal...

Have no idea... Unfortunately. Can't you use your other citizenship/passport for the USA visa?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.