ram1009

shipping to Philippines

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've read that many people use DSL for international shipping.  I found their website confusing at best so I went to Fed Ex.  They delivered a small package on time but it cost $185 plus it was held up in country & released for a $14 "fee".  Is there a better way?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the PI Regional forum, from General Immigration- As members in this forum would be best familiar with the OP's question.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, ram1009 said:

I've read that many people use DSL for international shipping.  I found their website confusing at best so I went to Fed Ex.  They delivered a small package on time but it cost $185 plus it was held up in country & released for a $14 "fee".  Is there a better way?

Depends on what you are shipping.  For small envelopes that you need there quickly  FEDEX, DHL, UPS.      (Nothing for the K-1 visa process needs to be shipped, you can email all necessary documents)

For larger boxes (BB boxes) that you don't need there quickly  LBC, UMAC, FOREX to name a few, check the Asian store near you for what service they offer.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, ram1009 said:

What were you shipping that cost $185?

YMMV

Timeline
38 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What were you shipping that cost $185?

I don't think the content matters.  As I said it was a small (large book size) package weighing a little over one pound.  It was the smallest package offered.  What I will be shipping in the future will probably be in a similar package and will be mostly papers.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ram1009 said:

I don't think the content matters.  As I said it was a small (large book size) package weighing a little over one pound.  It was the smallest package offered.  What I will be shipping in the future will probably be in a similar package and will be mostly papers.

Maybe, however, If it is Visa related paperwork you are simply wasting your money 

YMMV

Timeline

Several of you have recommended "Johnny Air" so I went to their website and took a cursory look.  It appears they are a freight forwarder specializing in items purchased on line and sent to one of their offices for forwarding.  What I want to send are documents related to my K1 visa application.  Are they still a good choice?  Also, they seem slow.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Maybe, however, If it is Visa related paperwork you are simply wasting your money 

If I'm wasting my money perhaps you could suggest a more cost effective method of transporting visa related docs???

Timeline
Just now, ram1009 said:

If I'm wasting my money perhaps you could suggest a more cost effective method of transporting visa related docs???

Scan, email,  print locally.   Nothing needs to be original 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, ram1009 said:

Several of you have recommended "Johnny Air" so I went to their website and took a cursory look.  It appears they are a freight forwarder specializing in items purchased on line and sent to one of their offices for forwarding.  What I want to send are documents related to my K1 visa application.  Are they still a good choice?  Also, they seem slow.

There is nothing you need to send to your fiancee for the K-1 visa application by FEDEX, DHL, UPS or .. , waste of money.

You email EVERYTHING, including the I-134  as a PDF file and she can print it out for the interview

4 minutes ago, ram1009 said:

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Scan, email,  print locally.   Nothing needs to be original 

That's plan B for me.  That's a lot of work compared to sending originals if it can be done for a reasonable price.  That's why I'm investigating.  Plus, originals are always less likely to be rejected.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

There is nothing you need to send to your fiancee for the K-1 visa application by FEDEX, DHL, UPS or .. , waste of money.

You email EVERYTHING, including the I-134  as a PDF file and she can print it out for the interview

As I said elsewhere, that is plan B for me but it involves a LOT of time consuming scanning & e=mailing.  If I could send it cheaply I would.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.