2019&beyond

NOA2 Expiration

11 posts in this topic

I was informed by one of the members on this forum that the NOA2 has a validity of one year from the date of its approval. Is this true? 

And if it is, what happens if its been past a year and the interview our not been scheduled yet? Does our application get revoked and sent back to USCIS, or can we request an extension?

Fyi: My NOA2 has been approved on October 2018 and we're not able to schedule an interview until my USC fiance is no longer unemployed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

The expiration date of the NOA2 is listed on the NOA2.  “Valid from MM/DD/YYYY to MM/DD/YYYY”. 

Whether that is the deadline for the DS-160 to be filed or the request for an interview appointment, I don’t know.  We got our visa in had a few days before the NOA2 expired. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

My understanding is that for K1 the NOA2 is valid for only 4 months. We got ours in February, so it is valid until June. The exact expiration date is written somewhere in the top right corner of your NOA2. What does it say there?

NOA2 should be valid at the time your interview takes place. If there is need for additional processing AFTER the interview and your NOA2 would expire before you get your visa, it would automatically be extended by the consulate on the visa interview day. However, if your NOA2 expires before your interview, you can request an extension of NOA2 at the consulate. You can use the sample form here https://www.visajourney.com/content/examples  ; "Request to extend approval of I-129f". Add a reason why you request this extension.

Edited by Kürbis&Tannenbaum

49 minutes ago, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

My understanding is that for K1 the NOA2 is valid for only 4 months. We got ours in February, so it is valid until June. The exact expiration date is written somewhere in the top right corner of your NOA2. What does it say there?

NOA2 should be valid at the time your interview takes place. If there is need for additional processing AFTER the interview and your NOA2 would expire before you get your visa, it would automatically be extended by the consulate on the visa interview day. However, if your NOA2 expires before your interview, you can request an extension of NOA2 at the consulate. You can use the sample form here https://www.visajourney.com/content/examples  ; "Request to extend approval of I-129f". Add a reason why you request this extension.

So our NOA2 expired in February. We emailed the embassy asking for an extension before it expired but we never got a response. This June would mark the end of the additional 4 months of the extension and my fiance is still unemployed.

I was told by VJers that we don't need a response because its self explanatory and that they extend the NOA2 by default we have the interview. Our case status on CEAC still shows as "Ready".

I guess I should word my question differently and ask, how long will our case status be shown as "Ready" for (assuming my fiance goes longer than expected without being able to find a job)? Is there a certain timeframe where our NOA2 can no longer be extended? How many more extensions can we get? We received our NOA2 on October of last year. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
28 minutes ago, 2019&beyond said:

Up to a year of its approval date or initial expiration date? 

Embassy is Kuwait.

Extend the expiration.   Many times a quick email to the IV unit is all that is needed 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, 2019&beyond said:

Ok. If someone who actually knows the answer to my question can answer that would be great.

My Petition Expired – Can It Be Extended?

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval by USCIS. A consular officer can extend the validity of the petition if it expires before visa processing is completed.

REF:https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#13

BTW, that is an excellent site to become acquainted with, lots of good info about the DOS side of the immigration journey. Suggest that you contact the IV unit at the interviewing embassy/consulate for further information/requirements.

:time:It helps everyone that uses the forum. Additionally, a up to date timeline enables other members to better focus their response.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
10 hours ago, 2019&beyond said:

Ok. If someone who actually knows the answer to my question can answer that would be great.

The expiration date is exactly where I said it was. Sorry for helping.  I won't do that again.

19 hours ago, payxibka said:

Extend the expiration.   Many times a quick email to the IV unit is all that is needed 

Thanks @payxibka .You make it sound so simple and that everything is going to be alright. I hope so. But yea, my fiance emailed them in February requesting an extension when the NOA2 was on the verge of expiring. They didn't respond and our case hasn't been updated on CEAC and it still shows as Ready. I'm guessing it automatically got extended when we couldn't make the interview.

Would you recommend we send them another email this month informing them that we still wish to have our interview in the near future once my fiance gets employed, and thank them for extending our application? Or you don't think that would be necessary? I'm guessing you might know a thing or two about the embassy here in Kuwait

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.