TBoneTX

Form DS-5535 "Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants" -- Part 2

1,370 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Rashid patras said:

Isn't it unusual, normally we 've seen the practice that once embassy ask to redo medical means they ready to Issue Visa.you able to check if they really received your medical.

No I've seen people wait 40 to 60 days.. it really depends. Inshallah i am hopeful, please remember me in your duas and send positive vibes. Thank you :)

4 minutes ago, sk91 said:

Did u get an update on your case after submitting medical? 

Yes i did get a few but now it's stopped..inshallah

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sarac9 said:

No I've seen people wait 40 to 60 days.. it really depends. Inshallah i am hopeful, please remember me in your duas and send positive vibes. Thank you :)

Yes i did get a few but now it's stopped..inshallah

Oky then hopefully it will soon some good news for you.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Hamza86 said:

how many updates have u recev so far bro?

Hi hamza how are you bro, well since my interview I got 4 updates and that too when first they send me questionnaire second time when some mistake happen in questionnaire they called me and sent back and last time my case got updated when I sent requested doc's.No updates and nothing happening seriously this is so frustrating and we stuck in a dark tunnel but i am hopeful as they says there's always a light end of the tunnel. I wish and pray all of us stuck and facing hard time will end soon. God bless all of us.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I found this website very helpful as I waited for my case to be processed. That said, I have noticed that most cases listed here are for immigrant visas which tend to take longer than non-immigrant visa. Also, I wasn't able to find any relevant cases pertaining to F-1 (Student Visa) and DS-5535 . Here are the details of my case and my two cents:

+ I'm a PhD student and I visited Pakistan for a family event. My visa was set to expire in a month so I decided to renew it before I leave.

+ Interviewed on 4/22/2019. I was given a white 221G form for administrative processing at the end of the interview

+ Got an email to submit travel history and other information 2 hours after the interview (DS-5535) - (4/22/2019)

+ I submitted my filled DS-5535 via email reply on 4/23/2019 but status on website did not update. Neither did I get a confirmation email. 

+ No status changed till 5/10/2019. Case last updated showed: 4/22/2019. 

+ Status updated once on Friday (5/10/2019) - Still showed administrative processing

+ Status updated again on Monday (5/13/2019) - Still showed administrative processing

+ Status updated one final time on Tuesday (5/14/2019) to issued

+ Got collection email 3 hours after status update (5/14/2019)

Total processing time was 3 weeks from interview date. I have been on an F-1 visa in the US for around 9 years so I have a very extensive travel history as well but thankfully that did not slow down the process.

Hopefully this post shows that DS-5535 can be cleared in almost 3 weeks. It really depends on the visa type and varies from person to person. My degree focuses on Chemical and Biomolecular engineering so the 3 times i have applied for an F-1, I have always had to go through administrative processing. Hope this helps everyone and more particularly F-1 students who have gotten DS-5535 after getting 221-G/AP. 

Edited by mohsin002

Timeline
8 minutes ago, mohsin002 said:

I found this website very helpful as I waited for my case to be processed. That said, I have noticed that most cases listed here are for immigrant visas which tend to take longer than non-immigrant visa. Also, I wasn't able to find any relevant cases pertaining to F-1 (Student Visa) and DS-5535 . Here are the details of my case and my two cents:

+ I'm a PhD student and I visited Pakistan for a family event. My visa was set to expire in a month so I decided to renew it before I leave.

+ Interviewed on 4/22/2019. I was given a white 221G form for administrative processing at the end of the interview

+ Got an email to submit travel history and other information 2 hours after the interview (DS-5535) - (4/22/2019)

+ I submitted my filled DS-5535 via email reply on 4/23/2019 but status on website did not update. Neither did I get a confirmation email. 

+ Status updated once on Friday (5/10/2019) - Still showed administrative processing

+ Status updated again on Monday (5/13/2019) - Still showed administrative processing

Total processing time was 3 weeks from interview date. I have been on an F-1 visa in the US for around 9 years so I have a very extensive travel history as well but thankfully that did not slow down the process.

Hopefully this post shows that DS-5535 can be cleared in almost 3 weeks. It really depends on the visa type and varies from person to person. My degree focuses on Chemical and Biomolecular engineering so the 3 times i have applied for an F-1, I have always had to go through administrative processing. Hope this helps everyone and more particularly F-1 students who have gotten DS-5535 after getting 221-G/AP. 

Did they ask you for your resume?

13 minutes ago, Rashid patras said:

Hi hamza how are you bro, well since my interview I got 4 updates and that too when first they send me questionnaire second time when some mistake happen in questionnaire they called me and sent back and last time my case got updated when I sent requested doc's.No updates and nothing happening seriously this is so frustrating and we stuck in a dark tunnel but i am hopeful as they says there's always a light end of the tunnel. I wish and pray all of us stuck and facing hard time will end soon. God bless all of us.

what mistake did u make in the questionnaire?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Hamza86 said:

Did they ask you for your resume?

what mistake did u make in the questionnaire?

Well it was minor mistake actually while filling questionnaire on passport information one of my passport I made out of Pakistan where I was working so they thought I am having nationality of that particular country too, so I clarified and They never ask me for resume.

Edited by Rashid patras

Timeline
1 minute ago, mohsin002 said:

Yes, they asked for my I-20, SEVIS and resume. They also invalidated my old visa which was valid till June. 

they asked for my resume aswell. I am also an engineer.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, mohsin002 said:

Many Congratulations to you and thanks for sharing your case I think your case was different first you've been in usa for quite long time and plus you applied before your current visa expires which benifit your case anyways still it's helpful and Ray of light for us.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Hamza86 said:

they asked for my resume aswell. I am also an engineer.

Right, Almost all engineering specializations are on the TAL. The actual TAL is confidential but this will give you an idea:

https://www.bu.edu/isso/files/pdf/tal.pdf

The system flags candidates for administrative processing and DS-5535 if you're on TAL, a male from certain countries and otherwise. Not much we can do about that. That said, I noticed that you have applied for a F2-A visa. Generally, immigrant visas take longer to process. The uncertainty really drove me nuts as well. Best to wait and pray for a quick positive decision. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, mohsin002 said:

Right, Almost all engineering specializations are on the TAL. The actual TAL is confidential but this will give you an idea:

https://www.bu.edu/isso/files/pdf/tal.pdf

The system flags candidates for administrative processing and DS-5535 if you're on TAL, a male from certain countries and otherwise. Not much we can do about that. That said, I noticed that you have applied for a F2-A visa. Generally, immigrant visas take longer to process. The uncertainty really drove me nuts as well. Best to wait and pray for a quick positive decision. 

Yeah bro we doing the same, I mean whatever the category what on earth takes too long to verify documents in this modern time and specially for usa, even in Pakistan Govt.documents can be varified within no time.

Ummm haha funny thing I studied engg too :D btw I sent inquiry using portal and got the same generic email reply and date updated isn't it funny they don't even read what we're inquiring about 😕 prayers for all I was severely depressed throughout the process ppl told me scary stories then I was put into AP and given DS I was at the height of hopelessness when I realized how beautiful this life is Allah has given me everything  Alhamdulillah n I'm obsessed over a visa which will arrive someday for sure Insha Allah so bros and sisters stay happy always keep praying and never lose hope in the creator :)

Timeline
1 minute ago, Sagittarius said:

Ummm haha funny thing I studied engg too :D btw I sent inquiry using portal and got the same generic email reply and date updated isn't it funny they don't even read what we're inquiring about 😕 prayers for all I was severely depressed throughout the process ppl told me scary stories then I was put into AP and given DS I was at the height of hopelessness when I realized how beautiful this life is Allah has given me everything  Alhamdulillah n I'm obsessed over a visa which will arrive someday for sure Insha Allah so bros and sisters stay happy always keep praying and never lose hope in the creator :)

Yeah absolutely right we should not make our life miserable for visa , one day we will get inshallah, and yes keep praying a d do not loose hope.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sagittarius said:

:)

Thank you! Jazak Allah kheir. I really needed to hear this from someone who's in the same boat as myself. 

May this month bring about the good and get cleared soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.