ScorpioSun

I-134 requirements with a co-sponsor

9 posts in this topic

I've looked around for this info but can't seem to find many consistent answers, so hopefully someone with some experience can help.

I am the UK beneficiary, and my fiancee is in California. She currently does not earn enough to make the minimum required for sponsorship, so I've asked my US-based cousin to be a co-sponsor. I understand that my cousin will obviously have to fill in an I-134 and provide proof of income, but will my fiancee have to fill in one too, even though she won't actually be sponsoring me? Googling this turned up reasons for both Yes and No. If Yes, then will she also need to provide proof of income (ie. proof that she doesn't earn the minimum)?

Common sense would tell me No to both questions, but I'm realising common sense doesn't always factor into this process!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ScorpioSun said:

I've looked around for this info but can't seem to find many consistent answers, so hopefully someone with some experience can help.

I am the UK beneficiary, and my fiancee is in California. She currently does not earn enough to make the minimum required for sponsorship, so I've asked my US-based cousin to be a co-sponsor. I understand that my cousin will obviously have to fill in an I-134 and provide proof of income, but will my fiancee have to fill in one too, even though she won't actually be sponsoring me? Googling this turned up reasons for both Yes and No. If Yes, then will she also need to provide proof of income (ie. proof that she doesn't earn the minimum)?

Common sense would tell me No to both questions, but I'm realising common sense doesn't always factor into this process!

Yes, she must supply an I-134 and all financial documentation also.

Even if you are using a co-sponsor, she, your fiance, will always be the primary sponsor regardless.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, ScorpioSun said:

yes, the petitioner always prepares (you can't be a co-sponsor without someone to co-sponsor with)

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 minutes ago, ScorpioSun said:

She will be sponsoring you no matter what, she's the one bringing you here and will therefore be your primary sponsor no matter how much/little she earns. So yes she will fill out the form and send all the supporting documents, just like the co-sponsor.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Thanks for clarifying that folks, it does make a certain kind of sense. I just figured the embassy would only be interested in the details & proof from whoever is actually sponsoring me.

With regards to her income and proving it, she's never held a steady job, so there's no straightforward figure or proof. She joined a temping agency at the end of last year, so there is no regular set wage or salary & only a few months of payslips to prove any income. For now, on the "salary" part of the form she's just multiplied the past few months' worth of income out to get an average 12-month figure, but she's not sure what to supply as evidence, and how long back they'll want it (she worked part-time for six months 2017-2018 too, but that business closed down & is gone).

I'm guessing bank statements and paystubs won't be enough?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

3 hours ago, ScorpioSun said:

Thanks for clarifying that folks, it does make a certain kind of sense. I just figured the embassy would only be interested in the details & proof from whoever is actually sponsoring me.

You figured right. Your embassy London is only interested in having an I-134 from the person who has the money. Other places may have different expectations.  Many people have done this in London. There is a UK  forum on here if you want to start asking embassy questions because each country can vary.

As far as proof of income---London does not require a lot of proof. An employer letter alone would work and has worked or just a tax return. Here's a guy who interviewed yesterday as an example---

Excerpt

Here I was asked for my appointment letter/Courier info, Ds-160 confirmation, birth certificate (original), police report (original), passport photo and affidavit of support. with the affidavit he kept the form and a confirmation letter of employment but gave me back copies of wage stumps and tax return which he said weren't needed.

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Just remember that embassy requirements might differ between countries, but it won't for AOS. And that's where the sponsorship really matters.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Scandi said:

Just remember that embassy requirements might differ between countries, but it won't for AOS. And that's where the sponsorship really matters.

@ScorpioSun Yes absolutely to what Scandi said. For AOS, the Affidavit of Support (I-864) has much stricter requirements written into immigration law. Your wife must do an I-864 even if it says zero income and unemployed. And she has to supply a tax return or a signed statement in lieu of a return as to why she did not file. ("I was unemployed and earned $0.00 in 2019" is a valid reason.)  The cousin will do their own I-864 and follow the same requirements plus prove they are a US citizen or permanent resident. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.