Se&Se

AJUSMEMT OF STATUS FROM K1

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Se&Se said:

Getting documents ready...want to change my last name into husband own after 90days at social security office...Will there be any problems since the 90 days status is over?

My wife did not have any problems using my last name after we got married both at the SSA and DMV.  Make sure to bring your marriage certificate to show your proof of marriage.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 minutes ago, geff44 said:

My wife did not have any problems using my last n ame after we got married both at the SSA and DMV.  Make sure to bring your marriage certificate to show your proof of marriage.

and a photo ID

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 minutes ago, geff44 said:

My wife did not have any problems using my last name after we got married both at the SSA and DMV.  Make sure to bring your marriage certificate to show your proof of marriage.

yeah I mean we are going to do this after 90 days period where technically out of status but married within the 90 days?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Se&Se said:

yeah I mean we are going to do this after 90 days period where technically out of status but married within the 90 days?

It’s highly likely she won’t be issued a new SS card with no legal status. If your wife files for AOS under married name and gets EAD, then she can get the new SS card under married name.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

7 minutes ago, Se&Se said:

In California, IF your 90 days has past, they will not let you change your last name until you get your EAD or green card.  We tried numerous times and they even tried to bypass it for us, but the computer will not allow them to. You also have to get your DL with at least 30 days of left on your I-94.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Se&Se said:

Since you are doing this past 90 days after marriage yes technically you are out of status.  I am assuming by this time you have filed or will file for the adjustment of status to permanent residency. If you have not do it ASAP to protect your status of stay in the US.  You might also want to apply for the EAD card together with your I 485 if you want to work.  Once you get a receipt from USCIS on your pending adjustment go to your local SSA. Bring the NOA of the adjustment and EAD if you applied for one, your passport with K1 stamped on it and marriage certificate.  You should be able to apply for the SS card and use your husband's last name.  

8 minutes ago, geff44 said:

Once you get a receipt from USCIS on your pending adjustment go to your local SSA. Bring the NOA of the adjustment and EAD if you applied for one, your passport with K1 stamped on it and marriage certificate.  You should be able to apply for the SS card and use your husband's last name.  

The SSA requires eiither 14 or more days of legal status OR an EAD OR a green card to issue a new SS card. Filing for AOS grants a period of authorized stay, but not a legal status. As such, it does not meet this criteria to be issued a card, even if just for a name change.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

The SSA FEDERAL policy for immigrants is to only issue SSNs in the name that matches what DHS has on record for them. DHS will only have your maiden name on record until either your EAD or GC is approved (whichever comes first).

Providing the MC or any USCIS receipt notices in the married name is not enough. The SSN application name must match the DHS record.

You may encounter an agent or two (or twenty) who have no clue how to process a K1 SSN applicant or an agent who is willing to break the SSA Federal policy willingly but do note that the policy is the same nationwide and does not vary by state. It varies by agent. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.