Star12

Fiance moving to different country before NOA2 approval

8 posts in this topic

Today: April 21, 2019

When I was submitting the I-129F (Nov 2018), in the "Consular Processing Information", I put the Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan because that's where my fiance lived. Now for safety reasons due to the ongoing protesting and the government being overthrown last week in Khartoum, he/my fiance is moving to another country, Uganda.  We have not received the NOA2 yet, but we just hit the 5 month mark and we can see a response anytime between now and June.

I have been reading through different forum discussions and I am not sure what the steps I need to take are. Is it better to wait for the NOA2 approval, the NVC receipt, then give the NVC my Fiance's new residency address in Uganda and request for a new consulate/embassy? 

I want to make sure the NVC does not send our packet to Sudan but does send it to Uganda or Kenya (where Uganda K1 cases are sent)

Me and my fiance have been contemplating how to handle this. Please provide us any advice on how to do this. Thank you!

I-129F screenshot:

(NOA1: 11/19/2018)

Screenshot_20190421-135301_Drive.jpg

Edited by Star12

NVC will send it based on residence as recorded on the I-129F. You can’t change that after submission. I was in a similar position and sent USCIS letters to change it and called several times. It needs to be changed at NVC. However, I-129Fs are only at NVC for about a week or so. Catching it while it’s there and finding somebody who can change it is difficult. Just keep trying.

Failing that, you would do a consulate transfer once it arrives at the consulate.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I am so sorry that your fiancé is having so much upheaval in his life and for all the beautiful people of Sudan.  I think that you may want to get your Congressional representative involved or the State Department to see if there are any options for humanitarian expedite due to your fiancé's safety.  Just another option, I don't have an answer to your question about whether to let them know now or later... Much luck on this journey and safety and prayers for your fiancé. 

If he has the ability to move to a safer area now, that’s always better than trying for a any sort of expedite or humanitarian consideration. Take care of yourself first.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

52 minutes ago, geowrian said:

If he has the ability to move to a safer area now, that’s always better than trying for a any sort of expedite or humanitarian consideration. Take care of yourself first.

Thank you. Those were my thoughts too... if a war begins he won't be able to leave at all. I care about his safety first. 

1 hour ago, Tilde333 said:

I am so sorry that your fiancé is having so much upheaval in his life and for all the beautiful people of Sudan.  I think that you may want to get your Congressional representative involved or the State Department to see if there are any options for humanitarian expedite due to your fiancé's safety.  Just another option, I don't have an answer to your question about whether to let them know now or later... Much luck on this journey and safety and prayers for your fiancé. 

Thank you for your prayers. If my fiance didn't have a passport, or a way out of Sudan I would follow this approach. Thank you.

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

NVC will send it based on residence as recorded on the I-129F. You can’t change that after submission. I was in a similar position and sent USCIS letters to change it and called several times. It needs to be changed at NVC. However, I-129Fs are only at NVC for about a week or so. Catching it while it’s there and finding somebody who can change it is difficult. Just keep trying.

Failing that, you would do a consulate transfer once it arrives at the consulate.

Thank you, this is helpful! I am building a game plan to achieve the consulate change with the NVC

BUT - I feel like transferring once NVC sends our case to Sudan will be problematic.

I have attached/included another forum discussion about a case in Sudan. For this couple, the NVC sent their case to US Embassy in Sudan on February 21, 2019 and they have not heard anything yet after completing the DS-160. The chaos in Sudan is most likely the cause and I want to avoid this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.