Ashweehehe

To cosponsor? (merged)

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey guys, 

hoping someone can give a bit of advice, we’ve had absolute nightmare just before we book interviews. 

Fiances found out this week he along with majority of the staff are being made redundant at the end of the week.  He leaves with a good lump sum of $$’s as severance pay and already applying  for other jobs.  Going to delay my interview for this reason and make sure he’s back in work before the interview, would we still need t go down a co sponsor route?  His salary was well over the 125% poverty guideline and is actually expecting to take a pay increase at possible new jobs.

I know I’m not making much sense... but can someone advise what would be best to do now. Should we just get a co sponsor and go ahead as normal or should we wait?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I would say that you should get a co-sponsor. First, you don't know when he'll get a job. It might take a while. And second, even if he get one next week the embassy might say that it's not stable enough since he just started it.

I would feel safer with a co-sponsor.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I would say that you should get a co-sponsor. First, you don't know when he'll get a job. It might take a while. And second, even if he get one next week the embassy might say that it's not stable enough since he just started it.

I would feel safer with a co-sponsor.

That was my worry, that they may say he’s not been in it long enough.   I don’t even know where to start on the course sponsor route 😔

Timeline

Incredibly stressed! My medical is booked for may 13th. I’ve not actually booked my interview it was something we had planned on doing this week.  

The whole thing has come out of nowhere.  The top bosses walked in last Saturday’s and cut 2/3 of one department, then Monday they came back and cut his area down, we’ve held our breath thinking that was it and they’ve came back and cut again and unfortunately he was one of the management that’s gone. They’re now running on skeleton staff. 

Honestly jut don’t even know where to start now.  Trying to see the silver lining in it all.  He gets a holiday, we can use the severance for our first house... but it’s just lol

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I feel deeply sorry for you and my fingers are crossed that you can get that fixed. 

I don't know anything about assets but maybe that could be a solution for your problem. Maybe he has enough money in the bank together with what he get as severance to fullfil the requirement.

Take a deep breath and try to find out what is needed for the K1 and also for AOS  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Ashweehehe said:

Incredibly stressed! My medical is booked for may 13th. I’ve not actually booked my interview it was something we had planned on doing this week.  

The whole thing has come out of nowhere.  The top bosses walked in last Saturday’s and cut 2/3 of one department, then Monday they came back and cut his area down, we’ve held our breath thinking that was it and they’ve came back and cut again and unfortunately he was one of the management that’s gone. They’re now running on skeleton staff. 

Honestly jut don’t even know where to start now.  Trying to see the silver lining in it all.  He gets a holiday, we can use the severance for our first house... but it’s just lol

You could wait a few weeks before making a decision about what to do next. He may find a job very soon. Has he sent you the affidavit of support for the interview yet?

You can ask for an extension on your approved petition if necessary. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

You could wait a few weeks before making a decision about what to do next. He may find a job very soon. Has he sent you the affidavit of support for the interview yet?

You can ask for an extension on your approved petition if necessary. 

I’m thinking wait a few weeks try sort new job then submit with a co sponsor.  

Edited by Ashweehehe

Timeline

Hey guys

can anyone shed any light on how the embassy in the uk deals with co sponsors? Unfortunately this week my fiancé has been made redundant at work.  It’s all came out of the blue and at least 2/3’s of the staff have been cut unfortunately my partner being one of them on the 3rd round of cuts. 

His wage was well above the 125% poverty guide line and expects to be in a new job ASAP earning the same if not taking a pay rise. He also walks away with a great severance pay. 

But my question is what should we do now? I have my medical on the 13th and ready t book my interview but holding off at the mo.  Would it be wise to have a co sponsor even if he starts a new job?  What’s the procedure for this? Are they accepted for uk applicants? 

Sorry for all the questions this was just something we never thought we would have to deal with. 

Thanks in advance 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

London allows you to self sponsor, the easy option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

London allows you to self sponsor, the easy option.

Could you explain this? I’m not sure what this would entail, I’ve just tried searching more info however and it says that London does not accept self sponsor?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Reading through this again - I wouldn't spend time and energy fretting now. I get that you feel panicked but you can buy time at this stage. You haven't booked the interview yet, your medical isn't until 13th May, and by then you will have a clearer picture of how things are. So, I would wait. 

Say your fiance finds work in a few weeks and is in a similar financial position, or even better because his new job has better pay. With that scenario it won't impact your case at all - by the time you file for AOS you'll have several months of financial evidence showing his current income. On paper it will look like he changed jobs for a better income.  

You can delay the embassy interview, you have 6 months to emigrate once the visa is issued. It's been very bad timing for you but you have months for things to be resolved before you start thinking about the worst scenarios. 

The part I don't know about is whether you have to declare his employment status at this point. They never asked me if my fiance was still employed at the interview, only for his latest affidavit that he mailed to me. If your fiance remained unemployed for months then it may cause some issues, but for now I'd sit it out and see if it gets resolved in the next month. 

Edited by fip & jim

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I did, many do.

Show details of your savings adequate for 90 days.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Ontarkie changed the title to To cosponsor? (merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged. Please do not post more than one thread for related questions. It is best for members and yourself to have all the information in the same place to get the best possible answers. Your question is also best in the UK forum as your question has some Country specific answers.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ashweehehe said:

Hey guys, 

hoping someone can give a bit of advice, we’ve had absolute nightmare just before we book interviews. 

Fiances found out this week he along with majority of the staff are being made redundant at the end of the week.  He leaves with a good lump sum of $$’s as severance pay and already applying  for other jobs.  Going to delay my interview for this reason and make sure he’s back in work before the interview, would we still need t go down a co sponsor route?  His salary was well over the 125% poverty guideline and is actually expecting to take a pay increase at possible new jobs.

I know I’m not making much sense... but can someone advise what would be best to do now. Should we just get a co sponsor and go ahead as normal or should we wait?

If anybody will be lenient with your situation, it will be London. They aren't an embassy saying you haven't been in a job long enough. Show them the proof of the severance in his financial accounts and you should be okay if it is a sizeable chunk of money. That's my opinion. He's made good money before, has marketable skills, and will be employed again. Carry on and if it doesn't work out like I think, then get another sponsor, send in their I-134, and your visa gets issued when they receive it.  

You can use assets for AOS as well if his severance is enough. For 2 people it's 3 x $21,137= $63,411. I think London would accept half that for the I-134. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.