EnglishLove

What to do if doctors don't have full medical summary?

63 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Okay, we've been trying to get my fiance's (from the UK) medical summary for what seems like forever now.  Long story short, he moved in 2013 and just moved back to London last year and just now registered again since they wouldn't give him his medical summary without being registered. They finally got him his summary but it only goes up to 2013 when he moved. I was under the impression that all medical was under one database but apparently not. He's been calling everyday for the past two weeks and they keep saying the database has not updated still. He called the doctors where we was living and they wouldn't do anything for him since he's not registered with them anymore. What happens if he can only get his summary up to 2013? Also on a side note, he has had depression in 2015 or 2016 (so I know we need a letter from the doctor clearing him) which I heard can also be hard to get and the main reason we're calling so much to get a move on with this medical portion of the visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Certainly used to that your records would be passed on to your new Doctor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pooley said:

In Goole

And that surgery has refused to give a summary of what they have on record? How were they contacted? 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Wow Pooley, I can't believe your fiance is still having issues with getting his records. It's been over a month now? 

In my experience it is best to go in to the surgery with everything you need (ID, letter to the GP) and request to speak to the practice manager.

Here's a link for you about your fiance's right to obtain his records:

http://arachnoiditis.co.uk/index.php/information/benefit-information-uk-2/144-the-process-for-accessing-your-nhs-medical-records-and-sample-letter

For the time he was not registered with a GP his records will have been held by the local health authority. 

The letter regarding his depression is a separate matter. He can request a letter from the GP outlining briefly his episode, either by writing a letter or making an appointment to see the GP. The important part is that they want to know if he has been a threat to himself or others. They can charge for the letter but should not charge for the medical summary. 

As the instructions from Knightsbridge state, they will put his medical on hold if he does not have a patient summary with him on the day of the appointment. 

Edited by fip & jim

Timeline
51 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

And that surgery has refused to give a summary of what they have on record? How were they contacted? 

He said he called them but they told him they cannot access them since he is no longer registered there

Timeline
21 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

Wow Pooley, I can't believe your fiance is still having issues with getting his records. It's been over a month now? 

In my experience it is best to go in to the surgery with everything you need (ID, letter to the GP) and request to speak to the practice manager.

Here's a link for you about your fiance's right to obtain his records:

http://arachnoiditis.co.uk/index.php/information/benefit-information-uk-2/144-the-process-for-accessing-your-nhs-medical-records-and-sample-letter

For the time he was not registered with a GP his records will have been held by the local health authority. 

The letter regarding his depression is a separate matter. He can request a letter from the GP outlining briefly his episode, either by writing a letter or making an appointment to see the GP. The important part is that they want to know if he has been a threat to himself or others. They can charge for the letter but should not charge for the medical summary. 

As the instructions from Knightsbridge state, they will put his medical on hold if he does not have a patient summary with him on the day of the appointment. 

Yes, it's ridiculous. They made him pay 50 pound for the summary and was so excited when we got them but then that left quickly when we saw it was only up to date to 2013. They told him that their complany was merging with another company so I could be a month before everything is finished updated in their system. A month later of calling every day and still nothing. So I'm really at a loss of what to do. Maybe have him go in and request for online access? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Yes, it's ridiculous. They made him pay 50 pound for the summary and was so excited when we got them but then that left quickly when we saw it was only up to date to 2013. They told him that their complany was merging with another company so I could be a month before everything is finished updated in their system. A month later of calling every day and still nothing. So I'm really at a loss of what to do. Maybe have him go in and request for online access? 

It sounds like it is the GPs surgery computer system that is the problem. He can register for GP online services and have access to his records that way. Here's how:

www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/gps/gp-online-services/

Knightsbridge want a brief summary (I'm in my 40s, so mine was about 3 sheets of paper). It looks like he can access that once he's registered for online services from that link (view parts of your GP record, including information about medication, allergies, vaccinations, previous illnesses and test results). He has to go in to the surgery with ID to register. While he's at it, he can take the letter for the GP requesting the letter about his depression. Even if the company is merging they should have advised your fiance how he can get the summary. He has a right to have access to his records. 

If he has no result from doing that then he should contact his local health authority to get this sorted. 

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I know how stressful the medical part of this can be. 

Edited by fip & jim

Timeline
11 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

It sounds like it is the GPs surgery computer system that is the problem. He can register for GP online services and have access to his records that way. Here's how:

www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/gps/gp-online-services/

Knightsbridge want a brief summary (I'm in my 40s, so mine was about 3 sheets of paper). It looks like he can access that once he's registered for online services from that link (view parts of your GP record, including information about medication, allergies, vaccinations, previous illnesses and test results). He has to go in to the surgery with ID to register. While he's at it, he can take the letter for the GP requesting the letter about his depression. Even if the company is merging they should have advised your fiance how he can get the summary. He has a right to have access to his records. 

If he has no result from doing that then he should contact his local health authority to get this sorted. 

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I know how stressful the medical part of this can be. 

Thank you so much!! 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Pooley said:

He said he called them but they told him they cannot access them since he is no longer registered there

I would suggest an email to Goole  stating his need for the records.  If they write back that they can not provide them, then he has something in writing to give the visa medical people.  He tried and was refused and has written proof.  What can the visa clinic do about it? They will have to carry on with what he got covering up to 2013. If you don't think he is up to writing a proper email,  then you know what is needed so draft it for him and tell him to copy/paste it into an email. Provide information needed like full name, birth date, address he used while at that surgery, NHS number, .....

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I would suggest an email to Goole  stating his need for the records.  If they write back that they can not provide them, then he has something in writing to give the visa medical people.  He tried and was refused and has written proof.  What can the visa clinic do about it? They will have to carry on with what he got covering up to 2013. If you don't think he is up to writing a proper email,  then you know what is needed so draft it for him and tell him to copy/paste it into an email. Provide information needed like full name, birth date, address he used while at that surgery, NHS number, .....

The problem is he just got his license revoked because he received two speeding tickets so that's not an option at the moment. I may try to email them myself. He's pretty good at writing them but I can be a bit more persuasive 😋 

Timeline
54 minutes ago, Pooley said:

The problem is he just got his license revoked because he received two speeding tickets so that's not an option at the moment. I may try to email them myself. He's pretty good at writing them but I can be a bit more persuasive 😋 

I have no idea how not having a license prevents him from emailing a practice to ask if they will provide his summary.  

You are not the patient, so I don't believe an email from you directly to the practice would be appropriate. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.