mika__

Which police certificate do we need for CR-1 visa? fingerprints or not?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi everyone

can someone tell me which kind of Police Certificate is need for the CR-1 visa? The one with fingerprints...the one without fingerprints etc

Me and my husband are using a lawyer to file our CR-1 case and we are at the NVC stage. We asked our lawyer which Police certificate I needed (Im the beneficiary, im Canadian living in Canada) and our lawyer and I quote just said "Any certificate".

we asked again to be sure and our lawyer said "get any police certificate"

So I went to my police station and asked for a police certificate and told them which visa it was for, and explained to them our lawyer said I could get any police certificate. The police station were baffled and said "uhh ya we need to know which specific police certificate you need, its a big deal for immigration purposes. You need to ask your lawyer which specific one you need, one with fingerprints or without etc" and were hesitant to give me a police certificate.

I asked our lawyer for the 3rd time to double check which police certificate we need for the cr-1 visa and he said "any" again. I explained to our lawyer what the police department said to me and again our lawyer said "get any"

So I went into the police station again and they asked me which one I wanted. They gave me the choice of one without fingerprints that I can walk out with the same day OR one WITH fingerprints that I have to wait weeks-months to get.

I ended up getting the one WITHOUT fingerprints and walked out the same day with it, and then mailed and gave it to our lawyer to send off to NVC.

Just was confused because the police station was needing to know the specific one but my lawyer said any. Which one are we supposed to get?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

For canada, it says it must be fingerprint based even though the report does not show the fingerprints. 

They will likely ask for the correct certificate, so I say get the other one.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, arken said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

For canada, it says it must be fingerprint based even though the report does not show the fingerprints. 

They will likely ask for the correct certificate, so I say get the other one.

Yes.  If all else fails, follow the actual instructions. LOL

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, mika__ said:

Hi everyone

can someone tell me which kind of Police Certificate is need for the CR-1 visa? The one with fingerprints...the one without fingerprints etc

Me and my husband are using a lawyer to file our CR-1 case and we are at the NVC stage. We asked our lawyer which Police certificate I needed (Im the beneficiary, im Canadian living in Canada) and our lawyer and I quote just said "Any certificate".

we asked again to be sure and our lawyer said "get any police certificate"

So I went to my police station and asked for a police certificate and told them which visa it was for, and explained to them our lawyer said I could get any police certificate. The police station were baffled and said "uhh ya we need to know which specific police certificate you need, its a big deal for immigration purposes. You need to ask your lawyer which specific one you need, one with fingerprints or without etc" and were hesitant to give me a police certificate.

I asked our lawyer for the 3rd time to double check which police certificate we need for the cr-1 visa and he said "any" again. I explained to our lawyer what the police department said to me and again our lawyer said "get any"

So I went into the police station again and they asked me which one I wanted. They gave me the choice of one without fingerprints that I can walk out with the same day OR one WITH fingerprints that I have to wait weeks-months to get.

I ended up getting the one WITHOUT fingerprints and walked out the same day with it, and then mailed and gave it to our lawyer to send off to NVC.

Just was confused because the police station was needing to know the specific one but my lawyer said any. Which one are we supposed to get?

It’s the PRIVACY ACT from RCMP. It is finger print based but no image of it in the report. The authorized fingerprint agency knows about this now. Where in Canada are you from? 

ya thats what I thought :(  Im from B.C in Surrey. 

I guess maybe ill just get the fingerprint one too just to be safe!!

May I ask what certificate you specifically asked for when getting yours? Did you just say you need the fingerprint certificate for a USA CR-1 visa? Do they do the fingerprints at the rcmp or you have to get on your own? :o

Timeline
19 minutes ago, mika__ said:

ya thats what I thought :(  Im from B.C in Surrey. 

I guess maybe ill just get the fingerprint one too just to be safe!!

May I ask what certificate you specifically asked for when getting yours? Did you just say you need the fingerprint certificate for a USA CR-1 visa? Do they do the fingerprints at the rcmp or you have to get on your own? :o

I am from Toronto and there are many finger printing agencies here. Luckily, the one where I went to knows about this new requirement. I told them about the confusion I read with Canada cert since there are different types. If you read the US website about reciprocity, you will see it says PRIVACY ACT. That is what I told them. It is for US IMMIGRANT visa but they want PRIVACY ACT and NOT the VISA/Boarder crossing. I am attaching a screenshot and the link here. 

363F5CE2-2531-458D-8E07-9C118BDC9A6C.png

Also, what I did is went to the fingerprinting agency, did a  fingerprint and they sent them straight to RCMP. The guy told me, the fingerprints taken were deleted immediately in the system. It doesnt stay there. So if you need to request again in the future, you will have to do the fingerprinting again. Altho it is finger print based, and they took a picture of me, what I received that NVC/CEAC accepted is just an ordinary paper that says no record for me. No picture of me or image of my fingerprints.

Edited by Kartinee23

19 hours ago, Kartinee23 said:

I am from Toronto and there are many finger printing agencies here. Luckily, the one where I went to knows about this new requirement. I told them about the confusion I read with Canada cert since there are different types. If you read the US website about reciprocity, you will see it says PRIVACY ACT. That is what I told them. It is for US IMMIGRANT visa but they want PRIVACY ACT and NOT the VISA/Boarder crossing. I am attaching a screenshot and the link here. 

363F5CE2-2531-458D-8E07-9C118BDC9A6C.png

Also, what I did is went to the fingerprinting agency, did a  fingerprint and they sent them straight to RCMP. The guy told me, the fingerprints taken were deleted immediately in the system. It doesnt stay there. So if you need to request again in the future, you will have to do the fingerprinting again. Altho it is finger print based, and they took a picture of me, what I received that NVC/CEAC accepted is just an ordinary paper that says no record for me. No picture of me or image of my fingerprints.

Thank you so much! this is very helpful! :)

Timeline
18 minutes ago, mika__ said:

Thank you so much! this is very helpful! :)

No worries! Our Attorney didn’t know about this as well and I had to research everywhere. I’m glad the agency where I went was very helpful! Good luck! 🤗

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.