mawilson

Saving disk space

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just an idea.

Why not mark certain threads "disposable" - and when they go idle for a few days / weeks / months (TBD),

delete them to recover disk space?

I am, of course, talking about the absolutely useless "game threads" ("Who's next", "Movie ping-pong" etc)

and other useless post-boosting threads in OT ("The blue boxes and hearts on our avatars" etc)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

That would be useful for certain threads but how do we mark them? It might require a custom script more than just pruning threads over xx days old. Thoughts? It would certainly reduce the database size over time.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Timeline
That would be useful for certain threads but how do we mark them? It might require a custom script more than just pruning threads over xx days old. Thoughts? It would certainly reduce the database size over time.

I'm not sure how to implement it technically, but I imagine it would involve assigning

the threads in question to a new group or category, which could then be selected from

the database on demand. This could be done automatically (e.g. as soon as a thread

reaches a certain size -- say 300 pages or more) or manually.

Visually, there would be a "red flag" next to a thread to warn people that the contents

could be zapped at any moment.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
Just an idea.

Why not mark certain threads "disposable" - and when they go idle for a few days / weeks / months (TBD),

I am, of course, talking about the absolutely useless "game threads" ("Who's next", "Movie ping-pong" etc)

and other useless post-boosting threads in OT ("The blue boxes and hearts on our avatars" etc)

One of those is up to 600 pages long at present.

Just an idea.

Is the 'concern' really disk space?

*cough* thinly veiled...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't know if this is a good idea. I like the funny and "useless" threads. That is one way of keeping our sanity while we wait. As long as the Captain is not worrying about disc space, then we shouldn't worry. Although I can see if a "useless" thread runs 600 pages, there maybe should be some sort of limit on something like that. Besides, I want to get my next bluebox. :lol:

reach449

SAO'S AND RANDY'S TIMELINES:

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/06/07-INTERVIEW>>PASSED INTERVIEW!!

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

10/29/07-All, (three) NOA1's received in the mail!

11/20/07-Biometric's Appointment/Complied with..no problems

12/18/07-NOA for interview appointment...02/12/08

01/04/08-Recieved EAD card and AP in the US mail!

02/12/08-AOS APPROVED AT INTERVIEW; CARD ORDERED

02/28/08-Green Card arrived in mail.

Removal of Conditions:

11/12/09-Mailed I-751 package

11/23/09-NOA 1

01/21/10-USCIS confirms no Biometrics

02/16/10-Card Production ordered

02/27/10-Green Card arrived!

N-400 Naturalization Citizenship:

12/12/2014-N-400 Package received by Lewisville Lockbox

12/18/2014-I-797C NOA received in mail; sent in old version of N-400

01/02/2014-USCIS Lewisville Received Package

01/06/2014-Checked Cashed

01/12/2014-Email from USCIS Receipt of Package

02/03/15-Biometrics Completed

02/04/15-USCIS notice of scheduling Interview

02/24/15-Interview scheduled for 03/31/2015

03/31/2015-Interview>Went Very well!

04/28/2015-OATH

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Useless or beneficial is in the eye of the beholder....or reader !

If a popular thread goes up to 600 pages in a short period of time how can it be called useless? The mere fact tells me it is wanted.

If it is truly for technical reasons maybe the idea is valid but as mentioned before

it is a place to support each other.

If deemed useless by some I suggest to leave it to Captain Ewok to decide

what and if anything should be done about it as he knows the technical aspect best.

Filed: Timeline
Besides, I want to get my next bluebox. :lol:

reach449

And that, most likely, is the real issue. There are SOOOOO many "I agree!" "Me too!" "Good point!" and other useless posts that are simply one more number - one step closer to that elusive blue box or heart - but contribute absolutely nothing. We have people occasionally dredge the old polls or other old topics from a year or more ago and post to every single one of them - just to get another damn blue box. Those sorts of people would soon kill themselves from over-eating if they were locked in a cage with a "treat" button. Seriously.... #######? Do blue boxes and hearts somehow validate ones existence?

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
#######? Do blue boxes and hearts somehow validate ones existence?

Apparently for some people that is the case. They definitely no longer imply that the poster has been around long enough to potentially be able to provide more accurate or experienced information.

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
Besides, I want to get my next bluebox. :lol:

reach449

And that, most likely, is the real issue. There are SOOOOO many "I agree!" "Me too!" "Good point!" and other useless posts that are simply one more number - one step closer to that elusive blue box or heart - but contribute absolutely nothing. We have people occasionally dredge the old polls or other old topics from a year or more ago and post to every single one of them - just to get another damn blue box. Those sorts of people would soon kill themselves from over-eating if they were locked in a cage with a "treat" button. Seriously.... #######? Do blue boxes and hearts somehow validate ones existence?

I think you are going a little too deep with that ....why so abrasive ? It certainly does not

validate my existence but I find certain off topic threads fun and supportive.

Why get your panties in an uproar over nothing ? Just relax man :)

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

The "useless thread" that you talk about has given me support and courage to face this painful process. Isn't VJ supposed to be all about that?

***I-130***

2006-12-14 I-130 Sent to Vermont Service Center

2007-01-12 I-130 NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***I-129F (new form)***

2007-01-31 I-129F Sent to Chicago

2007-02-07 I-129F NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***US Embassy Islamabad***

2007-04-25 Packet Received by my wife

2007-05-15 Medical Exam

2007-05-29 Interview Approved!

2007-05-29 AP starts

2007-11-01 Wife got call to pickup her Visa from American Express

2008-01-12 POE at JFK

***I-485***

2008-11-10 I-485 Sent to Chicago

2008-11-20 Payment accepted

2008-11-22 I-485 NOA1

2009-01-09 Biometric

2009-03-08 Interview Letter

2009-04-08 Interview Approved!

2009-04-08 Welcome letter received

2009-04-18 Green Card Received

USA_b.gifpakistan_b.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and anything posted is just my own opinion

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Validate one's existance?? That's just absured. :lol:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg