mawilson

Saving disk space

61 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, apparently disk space is not longer an issue, so everything's cool.

I am sure that when database size becomes an issue, threads like the blue boxes one will be the first ones to go...

My thoughts would be that the dead threads from 760 pages ago in OT would be the first to go.

I hope not.

But if they have remained idle, why not delete them?

I thought that was what you had suggested in your original post.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am sure that when database size becomes an issue, threads like the blue boxes one will be the first ones to go...

My thoughts would be that the dead threads from 760 pages ago in OT would be the first to go.

I hope not.

I'm confused .... isn't that what you wanted.... that dead threads should be deleted if they haven't been used in awhile.... or do you really have something against the blue boxes thread?? :unsure::P

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
All of the threads that are useful to me should remain, all others can be deleted to save disk space.

And that is a good point!!

Every thread on here has been useful to someone. Whether someone took the time to post it or reply to it, it is validated.

Whether it was a serious issue, someone telling a joke, someone ranting or raving, someone asking a question they hope to get an answer or advice on.

We all have different tastes and interests, find the ones you are interested in and enjoy it.

And Good Luck on your VisaJourney! :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
All of the threads that are useful to me should remain, all others can be deleted to save disk space.

Every thread on here has been useful to someone. Whether someone took the time to post it or reply to it, it is validated.

Whether it was a serious issue, someone telling a joke, someone ranting or raving, someone asking a question they hope to get an answer or advice on.

We all have different tastes and interests, find the ones you are interested in and enjoy it.

:thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
But if they have remained idle, why not delete them?

I thought that was what you had suggested in your original post.

I'm confused .... isn't that what you wanted.... that dead threads should be deleted if they haven't been used in awhile.... or do you really have something against the blue boxes thread?? :unsure::P

Sort of. I think it's wrong to delete an old thread just because it's old. I singled out

the blue box and game threads because they are mostly noise. Even if they have

useful information somewhere in the middle, no-one would sift through 600+ pages

of posts to find it.

I suggested red-flagging these threads so they would be the first ones to go (assuming

they would have been idle for a while.)

:no:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I agree with you, Stacey. We all have different tastes on what we read and different reasons to come here, but the main one being the immigration process we are going thru. We have developed a very nice group on this blue box thread and we are not trying to single ourselves out. Everyone is welcome. We gave support and encouraged some on their immigration journeys and interviews, and gave advice too when needed.

This is a painful process and when you have support in it, it goes so much better! If I try to explain to anyone that is not in the same situation as I am, it's difficult to get support from them. That's what I found on VJ, support to go thru this journey. It's great to celebrate every milestone on this journey. And to gather information to keep on going. We do that on that blue box thread.

Our AOS Journey

July 18, 07: AOS/EAD sent to Chicago

Aug 03, 07: Received Biometrics appt. letter

Aug 23, 07: Biometrics

Aug 30, 07: Transfer to CSC letter dated 8/27

Sept 19, 07: EAD Approval email

Sept 29, 07: EAD card Received

Oct 09, 07: AOS Approved

Oct 13, 07: Green Card in hand

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

As I understood Captain Ewok, the" inactive and dead " go first if space becomes an issue.

The box thread is anything but dead.

I hope not.

Seriously, what is going to be regurgitated from 06 threads? ####### Cheney hasn't shot anymore of his friends. North Korea is not testing ICBMs (as of the moment), and Italy won the world cup. So no sense in digging any of that up.

21FUNNY.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Besides, I want to get my next bluebox. :lol:

reach449

And that, most likely, is the real issue. There are SOOOOO many "I agree!" "Me too!" "Good point!" and other useless posts that are simply one more number - one step closer to that elusive blue box or heart - but contribute absolutely nothing. We have people occasionally dredge the old polls or other old topics from a year or more ago and post to every single one of them - just to get another damn blue box. Those sorts of people would soon kill themselves from over-eating if they were locked in a cage with a "treat" button. Seriously.... #######? Do blue boxes and hearts somehow validate ones existence?

Ahhhh! I have one more post towards another blue-box. It feels soooo good. :dance:

SAO'S AND RANDY'S TIMELINES:

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/06/07-INTERVIEW>>PASSED INTERVIEW!!

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

10/29/07-All, (three) NOA1's received in the mail!

11/20/07-Biometric's Appointment/Complied with..no problems

12/18/07-NOA for interview appointment...02/12/08

01/04/08-Recieved EAD card and AP in the US mail!

02/12/08-AOS APPROVED AT INTERVIEW; CARD ORDERED

02/28/08-Green Card arrived in mail.

Removal of Conditions:

11/12/09-Mailed I-751 package

11/23/09-NOA 1

01/21/10-USCIS confirms no Biometrics

02/16/10-Card Production ordered

02/27/10-Green Card arrived!

N-400 Naturalization Citizenship:

12/12/2014-N-400 Package received by Lewisville Lockbox

12/18/2014-I-797C NOA received in mail; sent in old version of N-400

01/02/2014-USCIS Lewisville Received Package

01/06/2014-Checked Cashed

01/12/2014-Email from USCIS Receipt of Package

02/03/15-Biometrics Completed

02/04/15-USCIS notice of scheduling Interview

02/24/15-Interview scheduled for 03/31/2015

03/31/2015-Interview>Went Very well!

04/28/2015-OATH

Filed: Timeline

I think threads idle for 6 mos in OT should be deleted.

Blatant post boosting, imo, is ridiculous and embarrassing for the person doing it. I personally wish no posts in OT counted towards post count.I'd love it if I could go back to no posts, lol. All these stupid hearts are a constant reminder of how much time I waste. In fact I suggested that, but not too many agreed with me.

But I do think that many times an 'ITA' is not useless and done to post boost.

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

To me, there's an obvious answer to keep everyone happy...I've seen it done in the past simply to reduce the amount of time it takes to load the page, so why not to save disk space (even if it's not needed at this time)?

Why not, when a game thread reaches 50 to 100 pages...why doesn't someone report it (so it will be brought to the attention of the mods or Cap) and that thread will get deleted? Or...a mod could post that this thread will be deleted within 24 hours...giving the original OP (or whoever) time to start a new one? It would be with the understanding that a new thread, exactly the same, WOULD be started...but it would elimate pages and pages of useless posts, (you know what I mean!), reduce the time it takes to load the page up, and free space.

I also don't think it would take *too* much time away from mods, or Cap, or whoever, because there aren't THAT many threads that get that long...mostly in OT. I can see the ones being left alone that have good info in them in other forums maybe...I'm talking about game threads here, which are just people having fun.

What does anyone think of that?

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

If disk space needs to be recaptured, delete the oldest material first. Just like they do in business.

If a thread is current and active, irrespective of the "perceived" usefulness, keep it.

I find many threads useless, yet they are useful to some people., and vice-versa. We all have opinions, now don't we?

Threads that are really old, and frankly "out of date", with respect to current immigration policies, get rid of them.

Does that make sense?