KOI

Countries to stay in? What to do after applying...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hello!

Last January we got our K1 rejected without appeal, we have traveled a bit meeting each other while working, now we will get married abroad. It has already been two years since we got engaged, and now we just want to start life. I've done tons of research (that I know how), and I'm trying to find a country that will let us both stay in while we await the Spouse Visa/greencard to process which can easily take another year or more. Most countries have a maximum stay of three months, and her country of origin is quite difficult to get multiple entry visa.

Where do you think is the most lenient, I am even able to work but with applying I almost hear nothing back (while here in the US I have absolutely no problem thankfully). Probably because of requiring sponsorship.

What have you others done in these times? There is no way we are just going to wait another year or more to possibly get denied again, because you know - politics, or even blackholed in AP (as one of our friends did, it's been three years for them and they are still in AP and USCIS refuses to give them an update)...We tried Canada but it didn't work out either, unfortunately - I even had very well paying job in Toronto and Canada decided to deny entry for my significant other.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : California Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : United Arab Emirates
I-129F Sent : 2017-03-31
I-129F NOA1 : 2017-04-06
I-129F RFE(s) : 2017-08-08
RFE Reply(s) : 2017-08-18
I-129F NOA2 : 2017-09-07
NVC Received : 2017-09-28
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2017-09-28
NVC Left : 2017-10-01
Consulate Received : 2017-10-03

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If the k1 was denied for any inadmissible reasons, be aware that would still need to be overcome with the cr1.

Easiest (albeit can become expensive depending where she is located) solution would be for you to travel back and forth to her country as frequently as you can to visit during the process.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
1 minute ago, Going through said:

If the k1 was denied for any inadmissible reasons, be aware that would still need to be overcome with the cr1.

Easiest (albeit can become expensive depending where she is located) solution would be for you to travel back and forth to her country as frequently as you can to visit during the process.

What do you mean by your first statement?

The reason she was denied, even the officer stated was purely because of the travel ban; otherwise, they said all our proof and documents were well received.

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : California Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : United Arab Emirates
I-129F Sent : 2017-03-31
I-129F NOA1 : 2017-04-06
I-129F RFE(s) : 2017-08-08
RFE Reply(s) : 2017-08-18
I-129F NOA2 : 2017-09-07
NVC Received : 2017-09-28
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2017-09-28
NVC Left : 2017-10-01
Consulate Received : 2017-10-03

9 minutes ago, KOI said:

What do you mean by your first statement?

It does not matter where she applies from since there is a travel ban for Iranians. Although it was my understanding that a CO could ask / start a waiver for someone from a country with a travel ban.  I'll leave that for you to research on your own.

I am not sure where you can find a job overseas where she can join you as a spouse.   Here is a link for countries and the visa policy for Iranians (usually tourist)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Iranian_citizens  

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Travel ban is on Iran to make changes for the US to be able to conduct proper security/background checks. One country awhile back made the changes and was removed from the list. So... it can be done, it's just that country choosing not to comply.

Move to Iran honestly would be easiest for you.

And even without the travel ban, because of the issues with verifying documents, doing background checks and such, she could have just ended up in endless AP like a lot do as you even mentioned, and that was before these "politics" you talk about. USCIS has nothing to do with AP also, it's the embassy that does that stuff.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sounds like your options are 1) move to Iran to live with her, or 2) find a third country where Iranian citizens can get visas to get residency and move there with her if you can also get a visa for residency. A third option would be to wait out the process apart as most of us do, with visits to see each other outside the US during the process, and apply for a waiver because of the travel ban for Iranians to come to the US.  Any of these options will be long, expensive, frustrating, etc.  If you really love this person you will find a way to be together, I wish you both the best!

16 hours ago, KOI said:

Hello!

Last January we got our K1 rejected without appeal, we have traveled a bit meeting each other while working, now we will get married abroad. It has already been two years since we got engaged, and now we just want to start life. I've done tons of research (that I know how), and I'm trying to find a country that will let us both stay in while we await the Spouse Visa/greencard to process which can easily take another year or more. Most countries have a maximum stay of three months, and her country of origin is quite difficult to get multiple entry visa.

Where do you think is the most lenient, I am even able to work but with applying I almost hear nothing back (while here in the US I have absolutely no problem thankfully). Probably because of requiring sponsorship.

What have you others done in these times? There is no way we are just going to wait another year or more to possibly get denied again, because you know - politics, or even blackholed in AP (as one of our friends did, it's been three years for them and they are still in AP and USCIS refuses to give them an update)...We tried Canada but it didn't work out either, unfortunately - I even had very well paying job in Toronto and Canada decided to deny entry for my significant other.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

OP, I know your case. Yours is a very unfortunate situation because you interviewed at a time when there was tremendous confusion even among the embassies. If you had interviewed a month or two before youd have your visa.  I have heard many K1's after you from Iran that were put in AP, not denied. Yours was an outright denial, which was in my opinion, improper. Many travel ban denials were eventually reinstated into AP around May of last year, which is why your case is even more intriguing. 

You have a hard decision to make. IF you know this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, start an IR1. With any luck the ban might be a thing of the past by the time you interview. But prepare for the worst, and be ready to spend 3-4 years in separation. Some people I know have pursued student visas out of european countries where both the spouses can study together. I am surprised why would canada deny your spouse a dependant visa if you had a job there.  What visa category did you apply to?

Edited by salhasl

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.