VenezuelaVisa

Case number not ready to schedule? Advice?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Good afternoon everyone,

My fiance's visa was sent to the embassy in Bogota, Colombia due to the removal of embassy staff in Venezuela, it's incredible news because we had actually lost all hope that this process would be even possible after all the chaos happened there, we weren't sure if we should even continue our engagement that perhaps it was impossible to even continue the relationship, or maybe in the future we would just become married in another country. We had sent in a request to cancel the visa, with hopes of maybe eventually being reunited one day and marrying or pursuing the K1 from another country, however as the visa was processing at the NVC, it was expedited to the embassy in Bogota. It seems that they expedited it before the cancellation letter was received at the NVC and is now an entirely different case # and sitting at the embassy in Bogota. We had no idea that this was even possible and now we couldn't be anymore excited and feel that this gives us hope that we can finally be together and married once and for all.

As of last night, we've completed the DS-160, however when we try to register an account to pay the embassy fee and schedule our appointments on the Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service website for Colombia, I receive an error message stating "Case number not ready to schedule". However, we've already been contacted by the embassy with all the information and packets to begin this process, and when I check the Visa Status Check on the CEAC website, it says that our visa application status is "Ready"

So we don't know what to do or think, I've sent an e-mail to the embassy with no response, as well as to the technical support staff on the Visa Appointment Service website, and no response. Obviously with the cancellation letter that was sent to the NVC, it's been like a rain cloud hanging over us giving us so much anxiety (literally dry heaving before work today). Is it possible that this could negate our efforts to continue at the embassy in Bogota even though it's now a different case number? Or is this just a problem in the system? Or do we need to wait a few days for the DS-160 to process? 

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated because as much as this is the most exciting moment of our lives, given the circumstances and fragility, we also have a lot of anxiety.

27 minutes ago, VenezuelaVisa said:

We had sent in a request to cancel the visa, with hopes of maybe eventually being reunited one day and marrying or pursuing the K1 from another country, however as the visa was processing at the NVC, it was expedited to the embassy in Bogota.

Wait you sent in a request to cancel the petition? 

If so you will have to start all

over - there have been cases where the cancel request wasn’t discovered until they went for citizenship and so they determined that the original visa should not have been granted so the citizenship was denied. You can’t just assume that if they haven’t acted on it then it doesn’t matter it was sent.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Timeline
32 minutes ago, VenezuelaVisa said:

Good afternoon everyone,

My fiance's visa was sent to the embassy in Bogota, Colombia due to the removal of embassy staff in Venezuela, it's incredible news because we had actually lost all hope that this process would be even possible after all the chaos happened there, we weren't sure if we should even continue our engagement that perhaps it was impossible to even continue the relationship, or maybe in the future we would just become married in another country. We had sent in a request to cancel the visa, with hopes of maybe eventually being reunited one day and marrying or pursuing the K1 from another country, however as the visa was processing at the NVC, it was expedited to the embassy in Bogota. It seems that they expedited it before the cancellation letter was received at the NVC and is now an entirely different case # and sitting at the embassy in Bogota. We had no idea that this was even possible and now we couldn't be anymore excited and feel that this gives us hope that we can finally be together and married once and for all.

As of last night, we've completed the DS-160, however when we try to register an account to pay the embassy fee and schedule our appointments on the Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service website for Colombia, I receive an error message stating "Case number not ready to schedule". However, we've already been contacted by the embassy with all the information and packets to begin this process, and when I check the Visa Status Check on the CEAC website, it says that our visa application status is "Ready"

So we don't know what to do or think, I've sent an e-mail to the embassy with no response, as well as to the technical support staff on the Visa Appointment Service website, and no response. Obviously with the cancellation letter that was sent to the NVC, it's been like a rain cloud hanging over us giving us so much anxiety (literally dry heaving before work today). Is it possible that this could negate our efforts to continue at the embassy in Bogota even though it's now a different case number? Or is this just a problem in the system? Or do we need to wait a few days for the DS-160 to process? 

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated because as much as this is the most exciting moment of our lives, given the circumstances and fragility, we also have a lot of anxiety.

I would contact the NVC to check on your case, they may be able to help you out in this situation. If you have already sent out the cancellation it is a possibility that they pulled your case back. Contact the NVC and find out about your case and are you able to track your case?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, MrMizo said:

I would contact the NVC to check on your case, they may be able to help you out in this situation. If you have already sent out the cancellation it is a possibility that they pulled your case back. Contact the NVC and find out about your case and are you able to track your case?

The case is now at the Embassy, we no longer have a USCIS Receipt Number (which was what was used to request the cancellation)) but an actual case number with the embassy contacting us with the visa there in Bogota.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Illiria said:

over - there have been cases where the cancel request wasn’t discovered until they went for citizenship and so they determined that the original visa should not have been granted so the citizenship was denied. You can’t just assume that if they haven’t acted on it then it doesn’t matter it was sent.

I truly hope this is not the situation, how depressing! The cancellation request was sent with the USCIS Receipt Number, but it was pushed through the NVC and to the embassy, we now have an actual CRS number. I'm not sure if there's anyone we can contact to explain the situation and continue or if it can just be moved forward anyways, the embassy gave us a specific e-mail to contact if we were to choose to cancel, but obviously we do not want that now that we know the actual circumstances and that we can process in Bogota.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, VenezuelaVisa said:

The case is now at the Embassy, we no longer have a USCIS Receipt Number (which was what was used to request the cancellation)) but an actual case number with the embassy contacting us with the visa there in Bogota.

The best thing to do is to try to clarify the situation. From what I remember, the USCIS receipt number will still be in use when ds160 and for scheduling the interview. Contact the NVC to make sure your case is still active and not cancelled, if it's still active take the next step by contacting the Bogota embassy .

Timeline
41 minutes ago, MrMizo said:

The best thing to do is to try to clarify the situation. From what I remember, the USCIS receipt number will still be in use when ds160 and for scheduling the interview. Contact the NVC to make sure your case is still active and not cancelled, if it's still active take the next step by contacting the Bogota embassy .

I really appreciate your response and advice, I've went ahead and contacted the NVC with my best attempt at clarifying things and really just opening my heart and asking what's the possibility of voiding the letter and allowing us to move forward. Hopefully they will offer us a resolve and it won't be as terrible as what Illiria is stating. 💔

This whole K1 visa can be such a roller coaster of emotions, and adding in everything that was happening in Venezuela I can honestly say it wasn't the most rational thing for us to do but we felt there was no other options for us. Hopefully it will all work out.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, VenezuelaVisa said:

I really appreciate your response and advice, I've went ahead and contacted the NVC with my best attempt at clarifying things and really just opening my heart and asking what's the possibility of voiding the letter and allowing us to move forward. Hopefully they will offer us a resolve and it won't be as terrible as what Illiria is stating. 💔

This whole K1 visa can be such a roller coaster of emotions, and adding in everything that was happening in Venezuela I can honestly say it wasn't the most rational thing for us to do but we felt there was no other options for us. Hopefully it will all work out.

I certainly wish you guys the best, the journey can be tough to endure, but in the end it will be worth it. 👍

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
4 hours ago, VenezuelaVisa said:

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm sorry to say this, but once you request a withdrawal of petition there's no going back. I know there was a topic once (can't find it anymore) of someone who cancelled the petition after a fight. They made up their mind before the cancellation was even acknowledged, but someone shared a link where USCIS says once you request a cancel we won't undo it. I don't know how it ended.

This is what I pulled from the USCIS website:

Whenever a withdrawal is received, it should be acknowledged, in writing, for the record. 

I do really hope that USCIS will not process your request tho, especially with the whole embassy thing that's going on over there! And besides calling NVC, start calling USCIS! They're the ones that will get your cancellation request.

Anyway, in case your cancellation isn't processed and you go through with the process, I had the same in the Netherlands (case number not ready for interview) 

I called the customer service of the website where you book your interview a few times. They ended up escalating the case to the embassy, and I booked my interview 2 hours later. So if you can go on with the process and this error keeps coming up, let them escalate your case to the embassy. They have to change a setting on your case.

Edited by C90

3 hours ago, Illiria said:

Best advice.

start over or it will come back to haunt you later on. 

7 hours ago, VenezuelaVisa said:

We had sent in a request to cancel the visa, with hopes of maybe eventually being reunited one day and marrying or pursuing the K1 from another country, however as the visa was processing at the NVC, it was expedited to the embassy in Bogota.

Game over. A withdrawal can't be withdrawn. Get married and start over with the CR1.

Why do you want the hassle of adjusting status and for your future wife not being able to work for 6 months (!) later on anyways? Have her enter on a spouse visa and she can work and drive right away. 

@C90

@Kiolas and @MsNina were the ones who withdrew and Kiolas citizenship got denied because it wasn't discovered until then. Not sure what happened with MsNina as she was still in the consulate stage. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.