Jump to content
Chris Duffy

Cenomar for US Citizen to marry in Philippines

15 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

If one is getting married in Philippines and they are a US Citizen only, can you get a Cenomar from PSA?

 

I was under the impression that non US citizen couldn't get one, and had to go to USEM and get a some type of paper work in lieu of affadivit to marry 

 

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/

 

I am not familiar with this process, and was told different on another forum that US Citizen needs a Cenomar.  

 

 


Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

If one is getting married in Philippines and they are a US Citizen only, can you get a Cenomar from PSA?

 

I was under the impression that non US citizen couldn't get one, and had to go to USEM and get a some type of paper work in lieu of affadivit to marry 

 

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/

 

I am not familiar with this process, and was told different on another forum that US Citizen needs a Cenomar.  

 

 

I used to think that psa only keeps ph citizen records but since you asked this.. I have found this... Seems like first hand blog.. Anyway.. You can get cenomar online and it's cheap..

 

https://travelbacolod.blogspot.com/2012/11/requirements-to-get-married-in.html


(L)Our Timeline(L)

2015 Nov 03 - met online app (Skout)

2016 Jan 18 - became couple officially

2017 Sep 15 - met for the first time in person (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 03 - met for the 2nd time (USA to Singapore - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 08 - got engaged 

2018 Sep 01 - met for the 3rd time (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2019 May 31 - 4th meeting :goofy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 22 - I129f sent (DIY)

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

          worries before approval:

          1) submitted 1 statement/letter of intent both signed by the pet/ben

          2) petitioner's accidentally/stupidly committed DWI after i129f submission

2019 Jan 16 - NOA2 (140 days from Noa1 - No RFE)

2019 Feb 06 - case received by NVC (21 days from Noa2)

2019 Feb 08 - case number received

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Feb 25 - case received by SG consulate

2019 Feb 28 - Packet 3 received

2019 Mar 04 - Packet 3 sent back to SG consulate

2019 Mar 07 - Packet 4 received (interview schedule)

2019 Mar 12 - Medical (additional vaccine on 19 Mar)

2019 Mar 27 - Interview (221g, medical results pending)

2019 Mar 27 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 27 - Clinic sent medical results to Embassy

2019 Mar 28 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 29 - Application Received

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

If one is getting married in Philippines and they are a US Citizen only, can you get a Cenomar from PSA?

 

I was under the impression that non US citizen couldn't get one, and had to go to USEM and get a some type of paper work in lieu of affadivit to marry 

 

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married/

 

I am not familiar with this process, and was told different on another forum that US Citizen needs a Cenomar.  

 

 

 

Yes a foreigner can request a CENOMAR and if married in the Philippines or completed ROM previously PS will issue a CEMAR


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

 

Yes a foreigner can request a CENOMAR and if married in the Philippines or completed ROM previously PS will issue a CEMAR

So do you as a US Citizen need the CENOMAR to get married now?

 

I thought US Citizens couldn't get one, did things change?


Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If things changed it happened many years ago.  Quezon City hasn't accepted the Affidavit from the embassy for a number of years, requires a CENOMAR from the foreigner.


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

If things changed it happened many years ago.  Quezon City hasn't accepted the Affidavit from the embassy for a number of years, requires a CENOMAR from the foreigner.

I could be wrong they may have always wanted one I don't know, I never looked to deep into the requirements for getting married in Philippines

 

So my next question is: "How in the world can the PSA issue a CENOMAR for a US citizen?  They is no record of marriage or divorce kept by any governmental agency in the USA?


Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was required to present one to the local registrar.  It was on the list of required documents for the marriage.  It was to make sure I wasn't married to another filipina.  They ran it and we submitted a copy of the CENOMAR in my name.  It showed that I was not married.  They need it for the Philippine side, not the US side.  The registrar mentioned that she has seen foreigners who were previously married to a filipino try to get away without getting the annulment.


June 6,  2017 - Filed the K-1

April 20, 2018 - K-1 refused

June 11, 2018 - Got married in Pateros, Metro Manila

September 10, 2018 - Filed the CR-1

September 11, 2018 - Priority Date

September 14, 2018 -  NOA-1

January 22, 2019 -  NOA-2 

February 7, 2019 -  NVC Received

March 14, 2019 -  NVC Case Number Assigned

March 15, 2019 -  Paid AOS 

March 15, 2019 -  Paid IV Fee 

March 16, 2019 -  Expedite Request Accepted

March 28, 2019 -  IV Paperwork Submitted

 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

 

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

 

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY.   These are the only ones that can attend the seminar without their visa.

 

IMG_6043.jpeg.f00e0714733e6533148a7bb56d286460.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

I could be wrong they may have always wanted one I don't know, I never looked to deep into the requirements for getting married in Philippines

 

So my next question is: "How in the world can the PSA issue a CENOMAR for a US citizen?  They is no record of marriage or divorce kept by any governmental agency in the USA?

^^^   What John said.  


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

If things changed it happened many years ago.  Quezon City hasn't accepted the Affidavit from the embassy for a number of years, requires a CENOMAR from the foreigner.

Here is a post from 2009 and it saying US Citizens couldn't get a CENOMAR back then, I guess things changed

 

 


Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Here is a post from 2009 and it saying US Citizens couldn't get a CENOMAR back then, I guess things changed

 

 

 

Nowhere in that topic was it stated it wasn't available IF a foreigner was to request a CENOMAR .. everyone posted back to get the affidavit from the embassy instead.

 

That falls in the the "he said - she said"   gossip realm .. no facts.  

 

 

 

 


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am getting married on Midanao in July. One of my requirements is a CNI (Certificate of No Impediment). My fiancé was told a CENOMAR was needed for this. I sent her an official sounding email authorizing her to request a CENOMAR. She took that email with a copy of my birth certificate and it cost her 400 php for both of our CENOMARs. She had no problem. My guess it is to prove I am not married to any other Filipina. I hope this helps. BTW...some of the great people from this site helped me with questions regarding all of my preparations. 

Edited by dnavinnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 10:38 AM, Chris Duffy said:

So do you as a US Citizen need the CENOMAR to get married now?

 

I thought US Citizens couldn't get one, did things change?

 

On 3/12/2019 at 11:22 AM, Hank_ said:

If things changed it happened many years ago.  Quezon City hasn't accepted the Affidavit from the embassy for a number of years, requires a CENOMAR from the foreigner.

I married my wife in the Philippines in 2016 and the town where we got married only needed the affidavit from the US embassy and a CENOMAR for my wife in order to issue the marriage license. It is my understanding that it is left up to each individual town what they will accept as evidence of no previous marriages from a foreigner. Some accept the affidavit. Some don't. I have even heard (don't know if this is true or not) in some towns they will only accept it if you slip them a few pesos under the table. I was not aware a foreigner could get a CEMONAR until now. Things may have changed but the way I described it above is how things were to the best of my knowledge 3 years ago.


morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, dnavinnie said:

I am getting married on Midanao in July. One of my requirements is a CNI (Certificate of No Impediment). My fiancé was told a CENOMAR was needed for this. I sent her an official sounding email authorizing her to request a CENOMAR. She took that email with a copy of my birth certificate and it cost her 400 php for both of our CENOMARs. She had no problem. My guess it is to prove I am not married to any other Filipina. I hope this helps. BTW...some of the great people from this site helped me with questions regarding all of my preparations. 

One word of advice for you. Apply for a national copy of your marriage certificate and pay the expedite fee asap after the city has their local copy available. The sooner you get it the sooner you can prepare your I-130 and it takes time to get the marriage certificate even with expedited service.


morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jg121783 said:

One word of advice for you. Apply for a national copy of your marriage certificate and pay the expedite fee asap after the city has their local copy available. The sooner you get it the sooner you can prepare your I-130 and it takes time to get the marriage certificate even with expedited service.

Thanks! Any help speeding up the process is greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×