Jump to content
Jenny17655

K1 to AOS social security question

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I'm really asking for a friend lol, my situation was different.  Sooooo this friend met her fiance while he was here on a work visa from Jamaica.  When he went back to JA she filed a K1 for him and his visa is being issued tomorrow.  2 questions 1) Since he already has a social security card from when he was here working, does he need to inform social security of his status change? and 2) can he use that social to work legally until his I94 expires?   Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO, he cannot use SSN to work. SSN is NOT a work permit. He will need to apply for his permit and it might arrive within 3 - 6 months.

 


K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roel said:

NO, he cannot use SSN to work. SSN is NOT a work permit. He will need to apply for his permit and it might arrive within 3 - 6 months.

 

Duh you're right thank you.  I don't know what I was thinking lol

6 minutes ago, Roel said:

NO, he cannot use SSN to work. SSN is NOT a work permit. He will need to apply for his permit and it might arrive within 3 - 6 months.

 

Would he have to go to the SSA and update with his current status?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

I'm really asking for a friend lol, my situation was different.  Sooooo this friend met her fiance while he was here on a work visa from Jamaica.  When he went back to JA she filed a K1 for him and his visa is being issued tomorrow.  2 questions 1) Since he already has a social security card from when he was here working, does he need to inform social security of his status change? and 2) can he use that social to work legally until his I94 expires?   Thanks!

Not without some sort of work authorization.   The i94 by itself does not provide this.  Some poe's used to stamp the i94 ad work authorized,  but that practice ended a while ago 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

Not without some sort of work authorization.   The i94 by itself does not provide this.  Some poe's used to stamp the i94 ad work authorized,  but that practice ended a while ago 

yeah I realize.  My bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

Duh you're right thank you.  I don't know what I was thinking lol

Would he have to go to the SSA and update with his current status?

Not until he gets the green card, then he should apply to remove the wording on the SSN card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jenny17655 said:

Duh you're right thank you.  I don't know what I was thinking lol

Would he have to go to the SSA and update with his current status?

Nope, your SSN card has no status on it (except the 'not valid for work without DHS authorization', but he can change that once he has his GC)

Edited by C90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...