Sunshine25

3 questions....

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to file for citizenship but had 3 questions:

1) The form asks if you have ever been arrested, cited or detained. I looked up the definition for a citation and it says it's an official summons. I had a speeding ticket 2 years ago, which I paid by mail, this wouldn't count as a citation as I was not summoned to court???

2) I will be applying as I've been a lawful permanent resident for 5 years (I'm also still married to my husband) so I'll only have to send in a photocopy of my green card, 2 photos and checks for the fees? not the rest of the info??

3) My 11 year old son came over with me and has a green card. After I become a citizen, can I apply for a passport for him? What is the process?

Thanks for the help!

Timeline:

Dec 31st 2011- I-129F sent
August 2nd 2012- INTERVIEW- APPROVED
August 10th 2012- Visas received
August 21st 2012- P.O.E Boston!

September 11th 2012- Applied for SSN.
September 16th 2012- MARRIED!!!
September 17th 2012- Received SSN.
October 26th 2012- Sent off AOS forms.

January 16th 2013- EAD and AP card issued.
January 26th 2013- Card received in mail.

May 29th 2013- Service request, as outside of processing times.

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

July 5th 2013- Green card arrives :)

August 22nd 2014- Daughter Born!

April 17th 2015- I-751 Sent.

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

June 2nd 2015- Biometrics Appt.

February 2nd 2016- I-751 APPROVED! 10 Year Green card issued!

February 22nd 2019 Applied for Citizenship! 

March 14th 2019 - Biometrics appt.

April 23rd 2019 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!  It took 60 days!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

A traffic ticket IS a citation.

"No, there is not really any difference between a citation and a ticket. A citation by definition is an official summons, especially one calling for appearance in court. A ticket has a definition of a legal summons, especially for a violation. The two words are interchangeable when discussing being written up by law enforcement for a moving violation."

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Sunshine25 said:

Hi everyone,

1) The form asks if you have ever been arrested, cited or detained. I looked up the definition for a citation and it says it's an official summons. I had a speeding ticket 2 years ago, which I paid by mail, this wouldn't count as a citation as I was not summoned to court???

2) I will be applying as I've been a lawful permanent resident for 5 years (I'm also still married to my husband) so I'll only have to send in a photocopy of my green card, 2 photos and checks for the fees? not the rest of the info??

3) My 11 year old son came over with me and has a green card. After I become a citizen, can I apply for a passport for him? What is the process?

Thanks for the help!

[1] Yes, you need to report the speeding tickets and your answer will be yes

[2] Fill on line, then they will ask only those documents needed for your case and no photo needed and it is very simple process

[3] Yes, once you will get your naturalization certificate, you can apply passport for your son. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

For the citations, make sure you have a full court disposition paperwork for them...  If the amounts are less than (I believe) $600, they won't ask for anything else, but it is a good idea to have the disposition notice for those on hand in case they are asked for...

As to the 5 year rule - it is the simpler approach to go with, and you don't need nearly as much paperwork on hand to complete.  Essentially, while you will be asked about your marriage, it is for the most part meaningless, since you are not applying on the basis of being married, but rather on the basis of having been a LPR for 5 years.

As mentioned, your 11 year old becomes a citizen at the same time as you do, and you simply need to apply for a passport for them.

Timeline

What is full court disposition paperwork?  I got a speeding ticket, I think it was $98, I mailed in the ticket and check. Would I just need a copy of the receipt?

Timeline:

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sunshine25 said:

What is full court disposition paperwork?  I got a speeding ticket, I think it was $98, I mailed in the ticket and check. Would I just need a copy of the receipt?

My experience. I said no on my application because I wasn't sure. I had no paperwork. In the meantime I was able to track down which court the state troopers would use (since it wasn't city cops or the county sheriff). Luckily they had recently digitized the records from back then and easily gave me a receipt showing I had paid. At the interview, they go over the entire application. When it got to that part, I said I had a speeding ticket but I didn't know whether to declare it or not. He made notes on the application and asked if I had a record with me. I gave him the receipt and he carried on. 

13 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

My experience. I said no on my application because I wasn't sure. I had no paperwork. In the meantime I was able to track down which court the state troopers would use (since it wasn't city cops or the county sheriff). Luckily they had recently digitized the records from back then and easily gave me a receipt showing I had paid. At the interview, they go over the entire application. When it got to that part, I said I had a speeding ticket but I didn't know whether to declare it or not. He made notes on the application and asked if I had a record with me. I gave him the receipt and he carried on. 

Does that include tickets in the UK then? 

Like going forward, I got a ticket in the UK paid on the spot fine and that was it? Just a SAR shows this (not ACRO) so I'm stumped now. 

Long, long way away for me to be thinking about this but I'm just browsing all different stages of this whole process :) 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Timeline

I just spoke to the DMV, the lady said she couldn't get a receipt for me, but I could show my bank statement with the check that I used to pay and also I could get a certified copy of my driving record for $15 and that would also show I had paid the ticket.

Luke U, I have no idea about English tickets, sorry.

Timeline:

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

17 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Does that include tickets in the UK or just ones received during your time in the USA?

Long, long way away for me to be thinking about this but I'm just browsing all different stages of this whole process :) 

Summary:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
39 minutes ago, LukeU said:

Does that include tickets in the UK or just ones received during your time in the USA?

Long, long way away for me to be thinking about this but I'm just browsing all different stages of this whole process :) 

While you're waiting on visa delivery, you ought to browse through the whole application as a preview of what will be expected of you, especially since you're already thinking ahead. It was a bit less specific when I did it. https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/n-400.pdf?download=1

The question says EVER so that means anytime in your life. Also, the instructions for the form include:

If you have ever been arrested or detained anywhere in the world, by any law enforcement officer, for any reason...........

If any of Item Numbers 22. - 28. apply to you, you must answer "Yes" even if your records have been sealed, expunged, or otherwise cleared. You must disclose this information even if someone, including a judge, law enforcement officer, or attorney, told you that it no longer constitutes a record or told you that you do not have to disclose the information. 

1. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason? 

23 hours ago, Sunshine25 said:

Hi everyone,

i had a speeding ticket 10 years before i filed N-400, so I said no in my application.  At the interview, I asked the officer about this, she said it was okay since the fine was much less than $500

23 hours ago, Sunshine25 said:

Thanks for the help!

your child will automatically become US citizen. At the Oath Ceremony,  they will provide info about this. 

17 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

While you're waiting on visa delivery, you ought to browse through the whole application as a preview of what will be expected of you, especially since you're already thinking ahead. It was a bit less specific when I did it. https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/n-400.pdf?download=1

The question says EVER so that means anytime in your life. Also, the instructions for the form include:

If you have ever been arrested or detained anywhere in the world, by any law enforcement officer, for any reason...........

If any of Item Numbers 22. - 28. apply to you, you must answer "Yes" even if your records have been sealed, expunged, or otherwise cleared. You must disclose this information even if someone, including a judge, law enforcement officer, or attorney, told you that it no longer constitutes a record or told you that you do not have to disclose the information. 

1. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason? 

As always thanks Wuozopo! 

I just don't want people to think I'm asking just for the sake of it, it's all good I think to get a rough idea for the future :) and I'm a stickler for knowing what's what :P 

Thankfully this didn't show up and even on the SAR (Subject Access Request) it shows it as a "Non-conviction" on this offence. So I'll just declare it and go from there, £80 or £100 I think it was. Many more years to prove it was a one off and hopefully nothing else in front. 

Summary:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.