Boiler

US woman 'deeply regrets' joining Isis and wants to return home

50 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2019 at 1:01 AM, Steeleballz said:

If she's a citizen, she will be allowed to return. She won't be passing go though, it will be directly to jail. 

Her citizenship was revoked yesterday. The Home Office says she has claim to Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother. It will be interesting to see how this holds up legally. I think having 'claim to' and actually 'being a citizen of' are quite different things. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I despair of the media, you would think they could spend a little less time of Twitter and actually check the legalities.

Sounds like she can claim Bangladeshi Citizenship up to 21 so the issue presumably is if she chooses not to.

Bearing in mind all her statements you would have thought she would prefer to be there, no doubt has relations there.

“Hoda Muthana is not a US citizen and will not be admitted into the United States,” Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Wednesday.

This was in the Graun, they also said she was born in the US, who knows.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
15 hours ago, Boiler said:

I despair of the media, you would think they could spend a little less time of Twitter and actually check the legalities.

Sounds like she can claim Bangladeshi Citizenship up to 21 so the issue presumably is if she chooses not to.

Bearing in mind all her statements you would have thought she would prefer to be there, no doubt has relations there.

“Hoda Muthana is not a US citizen and will not be admitted into the United States,” Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Wednesday.

This was in the Graun, they also said she was born in the US, who knows.

Apparently there will be a lot of questions as to her parents status at the time of her birth.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

19 hours ago, TTG said:

Her citizenship was revoked yesterday. The Home Office says she has claim to Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother. It will be interesting to see how this holds up legally. I think having 'claim to' and actually 'being a citizen of' are quite different things. 

3 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Apparently there will be a lot of questions as to her parents status at the time of her birth.

Yeah, they can't revoke her citizenship if she was born here. It's not something that can be done. However they can determine that there never was a claim to citizenship in the first place. Seems to hinge on if her father was a diplomat at the time of her birth or not.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
19 hours ago, TTG said:

Doesn't international law claim that a country CAN revoke someone's citizenship if they have another to fall back on? They just can't make someone stateless. 

7 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Doesn't international law claim that a country CAN revoke someone's citizenship if they have another to fall back on? They just can't make someone stateless. 

US law prohibits it. US law does not officially recognize dual citizenship, and the USA is not a party to the international convention on statelessness.

Timeline

Basically she would lose Bangladeshi citizenship if she did nothing before the age of 21 to claim it, so she has it as she is 19.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Steeleballz said:

US law prohibits it. US law does not officially recognize dual citizenship, and the USA is not a party to the international convention on statelessness.

Isn't this the British lady we're talking about here? 

Timeline

The US situation is different Father was a Diplomat.

1 minute ago, Unidentified said:

Isn't this the British lady we're talking about here? 

The US one I think is a Somali.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The US situation is different Father was a Diplomat.

The US one I think is a Somali.

Well, I was responding to the person asking if the UK could strip the Bangladeshi/UK lady of her UK citizenship. I am not familiar with each countries laws. I just googled it yesterday and saw something about international law saying it was technically perfectly fine as long as they had another citizenship to fall back on. I am all for it. Other countries have thought about doing the same, no one seemed to have the guts to do it until now. 

1 minute ago, Steeleballz said:

We were referring to the woman in the OP. That is the "USC who deeply regrets joining ISIS".  I think some people are talking about someone else.

I was responding to the person asking about the UK lady and whether or not that would hold up in court. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Note, for everyone's benefit, I think we are talking about two different women here.  One of UK/Bangladeshi origin and one of US/Yemini origin.  I don't think the woman from the UK is claiming birthright citizenship as I don't believe she can.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Unidentified said:

I was responding to the person asking about the UK lady and whether or not that would hold up in court. 

That persons post was a reply to me though, and I have never once been talking about anyone from the UK.  However looking back, yes home office would refer to the UK.  Thus I think we are starting to mix the two together in the topic. Anyway UK law definitely allows this.

Timeline

In regards to the UK/Bangladeshi woman stripped of UK citizenship: Bangladesh now says she's not a citizen there either: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/uk/shamima-begum-uk-citizenship-stripped-gbr-intl/index.html This most likely will mean that UK is going to have to give back her citizenship and deal with her. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

That persons post was a reply to me though, and I have never once been talking about anyone from the UK.  However looking back, yes home office would refer to the UK.  Thus I think we are starting to mix the two together in the topic. Anyway UK law definitely allows this.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone. Figured we were talking about both in this thread as they're in pretty much the same boat.