pamawemo

Obtaining IRS tax return transcripts snafu

9 posts in this topic

After the discussion here about a CO who is asking K1 interviewees for tax return transcripts at USEM - and finding out it is not hard to obtain them online - I decided to go ahead and get them and email to my fiance so she has them just in case. Used the IRS Get Your Transcript website and input all the stuff they needed and got a bounce-back that my mobile number was not verifiable. So I put it in again; tried different formats (hyphens, no hyphens, +1) and nada. They say they can't verify my cell phone number and I could fill out a user profile and get the transcripts in 10 days. 

Interview is Thursday so that won't work.

I did a little googling and sure enough, the two-step verification using a cell phone is locking a lot of people out of the instant download option. 

So I did what I probably should have done to begin with and called by tax preparer and told her I needed tax return transcripts. She said she will email them to me this afternoon. 

Just a heads-up for anyone else running into this issue. I will definitely let you know if my fiance is asked for them.

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

Biometrics waived 3.28.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Biometrics appointment - 4.5.23

Interview (combo) - 8.6.23

Oath Ceremony!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Burundi
Timeline
15 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

After the discussion here about a CO who is asking K1 interviewees for tax return transcripts at USEM - and finding out it is not hard to obtain them online - I decided to go ahead and get them and email to my fiance so she has them just in case. Used the IRS Get Your Transcript website and input all the stuff they needed and got a bounce-back that my mobile number was not verifiable. So I put it in again; tried different formats (hyphens, no hyphens, +1) and nada. They say they can't verify my cell phone number and I could fill out a user profile and get the transcripts in 10 days. 

I did a little googling and sure enough, the two-step verification using a cell phone is locking a lot of people out of the instant download option. 

So I did what I probably should have done to begin with and called by tax preparer and told her I needed tax return transcripts. She said she will email them to me this afternoon. 

Just a heads-up for anyone else running into this issue. I will definitely let you know if my fiance is asked for them.

You can go to any IRS office close to you, they can easily print it for you.

We have the same issue. Been trying for 2 days to get the transcripts for my brother in law to apply for his naturalization. Nada. We couldn't even get to the phone number step. We never got pass the step about verifying a credit card number/car loan/mortgage/... tried all the credit cards, car loan account number, mortgage account number, ... nothing worked. Always got locked out. We tried using his wife (since they filed jointly so it's the same return), still nothing. Gave up yesterday and ordered them through the mail. That system sucks. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
29 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

I am betting the embassy doesn't even ask for financial support evidence.    ;)  

But do keep us updated ..   do appreciate.  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

29 minutes ago, Patrick12 said:

You can go to any IRS office close to you, they can easily print it for you.

Might need to find a new tax person. She emailed me a copy of my tax return even though I was clear I was needing a tax return transcript. She told me I need to get that from the IRS. SMH

I live in the boonies and it's a 100-mile round trip to the nearest IRS office. We got about a foot of new snow and a -20 windchill going today but hell, what I'd do for love. 

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

49 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

Might need to find a new tax person. She emailed me a copy of my tax return even though I was clear I was needing a tax return transcript. She told me I need to get that from the IRS. SMH

I live in the boonies and it's a 100-mile round trip to the nearest IRS office. We got about a foot of new snow and a -20 windchill going today but hell, what I'd do for love. 

I had the same issue. I have no loans, no debt, only one credit card for emergencies. Wouldn't take that number. Also, IRS offices are not taking walk-ins anymore. https://www.irs.gov/help/contact-your-local-irs-office  You have to make an appointment via a phone call to walk in now...Blah. I am going to my fiance's interview on 02-21. I am taking my 1040s and w-2s.  I'll report back about what I see and hear there.  I may even ask them what the deal is about the change but only after the interview is approved))))))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, pamawemo said:

That is what my sister said .. foot of snow at their place.   Made me glad I moved out of Minni-snow-da years ago.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

IRS makes it tough. The new "appointment only" requirement to get tax return transcript in person seems to interfere with this little thing called work. I'm letting the transcript acquisition go and hope Hank is right about them not asking for any financial support evidence.

Question: Do you think she should print my entire tax return (1040) - 26 pages - and have it with her in case? Should she black out my SSN?

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Timeline
56 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

IRS makes it tough. The new "appointment only" requirement to get tax return transcript in person seems to interfere with this little thing called work. I'm letting the transcript acquisition go and hope Hank is right about them not asking for any financial support evidence.

Question: Do you think she should print my entire tax return (1040) - 26 pages - and have it with her in case? Should she black out my SSN?

Yes

NO do not black out the SSN for the embassy .. they have it already anyway ;)  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.