EnglishLove

Immigration Attorney

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

I have a question about immigration attorney's. I am the American petitioner for the k-1 and my fiance is the the UK beneficiary. My fiance has a criminal record so I got a hold of an immigration attorney here in the US (thinking that since he's trying to move here to the US, that she would know) but apparently didn't know anything and kept saying she practices only US law and not English law. So should I be contacting an immigration attorney in the UK for answers about how cautions will affect us?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You could probably read a lot of the forums here without even needing an attorney. From what I understand, as long as you and he are truthful about what happened and it's on the forms that's all that matters. Now I have heard that DV could be an issue so that's something to consider.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, PushaKee said:

You could probably read a lot of the forums here without even needing an attorney. From what I understand, as long as you and he are truthful about what happened and it's on the forms that's all that matters. Now I have heard that DV could be an issue so that's something to consider.

Sorry, hopefully not a dumb questions but what is DV? 

And I'm doing everything myself, I just wanted to consult with an attorney but she knew absolutely nothing, and still took my money. She told me about six times that she doesn't know English law and she only practices US laws so she was no help. She didn't even know what a caution was...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Sorry, hopefully not a dumb questions but what is DV? 

And I'm doing everything myself, I just wanted to consult with an attorney but she knew absolutely nothing, and still took my money. She told me about six times that she doesn't know English law and she only practices US laws so she was no help. She didn't even know what a caution was...

DV is Domestic Violence. I hate the attorney took your money knowing full well what you were there for! I hate that!!!! Hopefully you all will be ok in the process. It's a long road but worth it!

Timeline
Just now, PushaKee said:

DV is Domestic Violence. I hate the attorney took your money knowing full well what you were there for! I hate that!!!! Hopefully you all will be ok in the process. It's a long road but worth it!

He has no DV on his record. She said they seemed petty and she wouldn't be worried but seeing as she didn't even know what a caution was I'm not sold on her advice. I know it all boils down to the consulate officer and if they will hear him out. They were very petty, even though the last one sounds bad. But I guess all we can do is wait and see. Thank you for all your help!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
38 minutes ago, PushaKee said:

Actually generally when criminal records are involved, lawyers tend to be helpful as that may elevate the case from beyond mere DIY territory.

1 hour ago, Pooley said:

I got a hold of an immigration attorney here in the US (thinking that since he's trying to move here to the US, that she would know) but apparently didn't know anything and kept saying she practices only US law and not English law. So should I be contacting an immigration attorney in the UK for answers about how cautions will affect us?

It's a really good question. Sorry to hear reaching out to the US attorney was of no help at all and you still had to pay. I'm going to move your thread to the UK subform as this is a very country specific issue.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports to UK regional subform; OP's question is country specific regarding beneficiary's criminal record in the UK**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pooley said:

So should I be contacting an immigration attorney in the UK for answers about how cautions will affect us?

They would probably tell you they don't know US immigration law. 

Timeline
Just now, Wuozopo said:

They would probably tell you they don't know US immigration law. 

HAHA, I could actually see this happening too. I ask for advice and get told to seek an attorney and they tell my they don't know the laws lol. I guess not much we can do now but just wait and see. I've heard the the UK officers are very nice and relaxed and I think if they will just let him explain, they'll see it really wasn't that bad. But time will tell. :thumbs:

This is an ever changing part of UK law and you should get proper legal advice regarding UK criminal records. I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV.

I do occasionally write them 😉

--

Cautions are in the UK treated as "immediately spent convictions", but in the US this concept doesn't exist so they regard cautions as convictions and thus if you have one you have a criminal record.

Now the UK has been shaking up the disclosure and retention rules on/off since 2004, and it's about to get far more complicated with a recent Supreme Court ruling that the retention policies for convictions and the like are too strict. So this is the point where you have to ask, what information are they actually holding and disclosing? The easiest way is for your fiancee to do a "subject access" request here: https://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx

When that turns up you'll get one of the following. "No Trace" meaning no record. "No Live Trace" meaning there's something but they're not disclosing or the worst case is a laundry list of offences. From that, you can make an informed decision about how to proceed. Your fiancee will HAVE to disclose any criminal records on an immigration petition and that's the point where a US attorney can advise you.

On the UK side, there's a faint possibility of getting records actually removed for non serious offences and depending on severity your fiancee could discuss with someone like http://crbproblems.co.uk/background

Timeline
1 hour ago, Richard Purves said:

This is an ever changing part of UK law and you should get proper legal advice regarding UK criminal records. I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV.

I do occasionally write them 😉

--

Cautions are in the UK treated as "immediately spent convictions", but in the US this concept doesn't exist so they regard cautions as convictions and thus if you have one you have a criminal record.

Now the UK has been shaking up the disclosure and retention rules on/off since 2004, and it's about to get far more complicated with a recent Supreme Court ruling that the retention policies for convictions and the like are too strict. So this is the point where you have to ask, what information are they actually holding and disclosing? The easiest way is for your fiancee to do a "subject access" request here: https://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx

When that turns up you'll get one of the following. "No Trace" meaning no record. "No Live Trace" meaning there's something but they're not disclosing or the worst case is a laundry list of offences. From that, you can make an informed decision about how to proceed. Your fiancee will HAVE to disclose any criminal records on an immigration petition and that's the point where a US attorney can advise you.

On the UK side, there's a faint possibility of getting records actually removed for non serious offences and depending on severity your fiancee could discuss with someone like http://crbproblems.co.uk/background

Thank you! This is very good information. I know the US counts them (which that baffles me.) When we were ordering his police certificate, we checked the box that asked if this is for immigration purposes. His certificate shows the exact same thing the SAR shows which is the date, the offense, the place, and the disposal, so we are going to order the judgment on his juvenile charge. (His basic police certificate shows None Recorded). 

Ok you've two choices then:

1) Declare everything in advance to a US immigration attorney and see what they say

2) Use a UK solicitor to find out if it's feasible to contest the juvenile charges, go through that process THEN apply for the visa while continuing to document your relationship.

My country is weird on this stuff. They were supposed to transfer all records into the Police National Computer ... but they didn't, or it's still ongoing. What you end up with is all modern infractions end up in the PNC but each Police Service also maintains it's own record keeping, paper and otherwise. It's a giant mess. The net effect of this is a simple search of the PNC can reveal no records but an E-CRB check (which goes around all the services one by one) can reveal things.

In this situation I cannot stress being honest about all of this highly enough. Assume they know everything.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Richard Purves said:

Ok you've two choices then:

1) Declare everything in advance to a US immigration attorney and see what they say

2) Use a UK solicitor to find out if it's feasible to contest the juvenile charges, go through that process THEN apply for the visa while continuing to document your relationship.

My country is weird on this stuff. They were supposed to transfer all records into the Police National Computer ... but they didn't, or it's still ongoing. What you end up with is all modern infractions end up in the PNC but each Police Service also maintains it's own record keeping, paper and otherwise. It's a giant mess. The net effect of this is a simple search of the PNC can reveal no records but an E-CRB check (which goes around all the services one by one) can reveal things.

In this situation I cannot stress being honest about all of this highly enough. Assume they know everything.

Yes, I fully plan to disclose all of it. I don’t know how we wouldn’t when we are required to turn in those documents. I think for now I’ll wait on an attorney because I really don’t think they can do anything but guess what will happen lol. But I think if they will just listen to how they happened, he’ll be okay. I’ve read a couple of others stories who had criminal record and London seems to be patient and listens which gives me some hope. And yes, every country has their faults for sure but a lot of U.K. laws are hard to wrap my head around.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.