a7choi

6:45 AM I-485 AOS Initial Interview Time

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi everyone,

After initially applying for the K1 visa and going through the entire marriage/AOS process, my wife (applicant) and I (petitioner) received our I-797C notice for our I-485 Adjustment of Status initial interview, which will be on 2/12/2019. However, the interview time referenced on the notice is 6:45 AM, which seems really odd as the offices don't open until 8 AM, per USCIS...

I called USCIS this morning after being on hold for a long amount of time, and the representative said it's probably right, but she obviously didn't know. She said maybe they just want to schedule early, even though she told me that the office opens at 8 AM. She was extremely rude and just kept sighing over the phone, so she wasn't very helpful. :(

Has anyone else received a notice for an AOS interview time this early? Or does it seem like a typo? Another weird thing on the notice is that it was addressed to (wife) C/O (wife's father), which I found very weird as her father lives in Korea... I'm growing increasingly worried about this interview... so I would appreciate it very much if someone can provide me with some insight or share their experiences. The interview location is 300 North Los Angeles Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012.

Thank you very much.

Andrew

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The mailing address "C/O (wife's father) is normal..........I would report at 6:45 per the instructions......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, missileman said:

The mailing address "C/O (wife's father) is normal..........I would report at 6:45 per the instructions......

Thank you for your input. Glad to know that the C/O portion isn't something unusual.. I plan to report by 6:45 am, but I thought it's really strange that they'd ask us to come in over an hour before the place even opens up.

Hoping others can chime in and offer some feedback, or perhaps share similar experiences.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

It possible it's a mistake. But show up at 6:45 anyway. The worst outcome is you lose 1:15 hours waiting. Big deal

Yeah, I'm not concerned about waiting that 1 hour and 15 minutes. I'm concerned that this time/date is a complete typo and that perhaps they meant to schedule the interview at another time. Thanks for the feedback.

I would take I-797C notice for our I-485 Adjustment of Status with the time and date just in case the security guard ask why are you coming so early. Keep us posted if you're let through!

K1 VISA: Done in 346 days

Spoiler

Jan 5, 2018: Preparation Started                                                                                   October 31, 2018: Medical Check Up                                                           

Jan 19, 2018: I-129F Packet Sent                                                                                  Nov 2, 2018: Consulate Received                                                                              

Jan 22, 2018: Electronic NOA1 Received                                                                     Nov 6, 2018: Packet 4 Received

Feb 1, 2018: Hard Copy NOA1 Received                                                                       Dec 6, 2018: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

Oct 2, 2018: NOA2 (254 DAYS after NOA1) ***No RFE                                             Dec 11, 2018: Visa Received

Oct 16, 2018: NVC Received                                                                                           Dec 17, 2018: POE (11 Months and 12 days since Starting K1)

October 30, 2018: NVC Left

AOS | SF Local Office: Done in 357 days

Spoiler

Dec 17, 2018: POE                                                                                                                March 5, 2019: Biometrics at ASC in SF

Dec 27, 2018: Apply for SSN                                                                                               March 5, 2019: I-485 and I-765 Status Changed to Fingerprint Review Was Complete 

Jan 11, 2019: Wedding                                                                                                        May 15, 2019: I-485 Status Changed to Case Is Ready to be Scheduled for Interview (New Site Only)

Jan 14, 2019: AOS Preparation Started (1 Year 9 Days Since Starting K1)                May 23, 2019: EAD/AP Approved (97 days since NOA1)

Jan 15, 2019: SSN Card Received                                                                                     December 6, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal sent

Jan 29, 2019: Marriage Certificate Picked Up                                                                 December 9, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal NOA1

Feb 5, 2019: AOS Package Sent                                                                                         December 23, 2019: I-485 Case is Scheduled for Interview (Old Site Only)

Feb 11, 2019: NOA1                                                                                                             January 27, 2020: Interview in San Jose Field Office (Approved)

Feb 19, 2019: NOA1 Received by Mail                                                                              February 3, 2020 : Green Card in Hand

Feb 22, 2019: Biometrics Notification Received by Mail

ROC | California Service Center: Done in 410 days

Nov 2, 2021: ROC Package Sent

Nov 5, 2021: Package delivered

Nov 8, 2021: Text received (WAC)

Nov 9, 2021: Check cashed

Nov 12, 2021: Hard copy of NOA1 received

April 20, 2022: Biometric is waived

Dec 9, 2022: Card is being produced (No interview)

Dec 13, 2022: Case was approved

Dec 16, 2022: GC on hand

📊 I-751 November 2021 Filers Google Sheet 📅

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vonQCJgs9HODO2Y1DdSs3HNyL_FRnMfenlIeDQAUpWg/edit#gid=806913795

Timeline
13 minutes ago, iwir said:

I would take I-797C notice for our I-485 Adjustment of Status with the time and date just in case the security guard ask why are you coming so early. Keep us posted if you're let through!

Thank you for the advice! Yeah, I'm definitely going to be loaded with documents. I'm wondering if there's even a security guard at that time.... 

16 minutes ago, a7choi said:

Yeah, I'm not concerned about waiting that 1 hour and 15 minutes. I'm concerned that this time/date is a complete typo and that perhaps they meant to schedule the interview at another time. Thanks for the feedback.

Nah, you have the notice and it's in black and white that it is this date and this time. If it's printing error, it's on them. Your defense would be "here is the notice and it says this date and this time, what do you want me to do? Not show up at the date and time specified?"

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline
Just now, USS_Voyager said:

Nah, you have the notice and it's in black and white that it is this date and this time. If it's printing error, it's on them. Your defense would be "here is the notice and it says this date and this time, what do you want me to do?"

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm just really hoping they didn't mess this one up... The USCIS rep told me on the phone that this isn't uncommon, but I can't find any case where someone had to show up so early. And again, she didn't really seem to know anything and was very rude...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, a7choi said:

Bump.... Has anyone ever had an interview time scheduled before the offices even open?

I have seen a couple of cases like that here on VJ. Turned out they take scheduled appointment even if the office isn't  open to "the public" until 8am. So apparently there's a difference if you actually have an interview appointment and if you're just "stopping by" for other reasons.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
18 hours ago, Scandi said:

I have seen a couple of cases like that here on VJ. Turned out they take scheduled appointment even if the office isn't  open to "the public" until 8am. So apparently there's a difference if you actually have an interview appointment and if you're just "stopping by" for other reasons.

Thank you so much for the information, Scandi. I can't find too many cases regarding early appointment times, but I'll have to dig deeper. I really doubt an employee will interview me and my wife at 6:45 am, but we'll see. I'll keep everyone updated!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My interview at the embassy in Jamaica (same time zone) was scheduled for 7am.  I thought that was really weird but there we were and had our interview.  As the others mentioned, I would go as scheduled!  Good luck!!!

My interview letter was also addressed to me but C/O my mothers name. Which was really odd i thought too but it's whatever. My appointment recently was at 8am and apparently also doesn't open until 8am but we got there at 7:15 to avoid traffic and there was also a number of people already inside and going in ahead of 8am so they may schedule interviews earlier than opening time, best bet is to just follow what others have said and show up at the time and if they say why are you here so early then you have it in black and white stating you're supposed to be there at that time and it's their error. 

Good luck! 

K-1 Visa

06/21/17 - NOA1
12/22/17 - NOA2 Approved

01/24/18 - NVC Received I-129F 
02/02/18 - Case Number Received 'In transit to Embassy'

02/08/18 - Embassy Received. Case status set as Ready
03/02/18 - Medical 

03/09/18 - Interview 
03/15/18- Visa Issued
03/20/18 - Visa in Hand
03/24/18 - MI Bound

04/15/18 - MARRIED!!! :wub:

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jenny17655 said:

My interview at the embassy in Jamaica (same time zone) was scheduled for 7am.  I thought that was really weird but there we were and had our interview.  As the others mentioned, I would go as scheduled!  Good luck!!!

Thank you! Glad you had a pretty smooth process! I'll definitely be there by 6:30 am. Did your interview start right at 7 am?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.