ClickityClackity

Got an RFE and we marked the wrong box

47 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello all!

Title it's pretty self-explanatory. We got an RFA because we had forgotten ticking the "have you ever been convicted or charged of a crime" and initially my finaceé thought she hadn't, so she ticked no. 

Afterward, she realized that she got charged with a Minor in Possession when she was in college, so we have to tick YES on the form. Since she already ticked no, can we just use some sort of correction fluid like tip-ex or similar to uncheck the box and mark the other or is that a no-no and we need to get a new form?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I looked and I didn't find any answers to this

Thank you all! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Just download and print a new form. Also if you check YES you will need to get the court documents on that case, in other words a record from the clerk of courts saying what the charge was and final results. Expunged record. That has to be submitted with the I-129f as well. 

August 4 2017 - I-129F Sent to USCIS

August 7 2017 I-129F Delivered

August 9 2017 NOA1 Sent out

August 14 2017 - Received email from Lawyer NOA1 received

August 28 2017 - Returned to USA/NOA1 was in the mail waiting for me delivered on August 14th according to my brother who collected my mail

September 7 2017 - 1 month into waiting for NOA2

October 7 2017 - 2 months into waiting for NOA2

November 7th 2017 - 3 months into waiting for NOA2

December 7th 2017 - 4 months into waiting for NOA2

January 7th 2018 - 5 months into waiting for NOA2

February 7th 2018 - 6 months into waiting for NOA2

February 17th 2018 - NOA2 - APPROVED!! noa1-noa2 194 days

February 20 2108 - NOA2 Mailed

February 24 2018 - NOA2 Received

March 5th 2018 - NVC Received Case

March 7th 2018 - NVC Case number received.

March 7th 2018 - DS-160 Submitted online

March 17th 2018 - Case sent to embassy

March 18th 2018 - Case Arrived embassy NVC says "Ready"

March 23 2018 - Medical exam completed

April 30 2018 - Interview - 221g - Administrative processing

December 12 2018 - Email from embassy Administrative processing completed request to send passport, new 221g , new medical

December 24 2018 - New medical exam

January 9 2019 - Medical ready for pickup, sent passport to embassy

January 10 2019 - Passport received by embassy.....case update as well

January 11 2019 - CEAC page shows visa status ISSUED!

January 14 2019 - Visa received.

January 15 2019 - POE - Dallas Ft Worth - Arrived Mobile Al airport - now home with me.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Mary&Rafa said:

Hello all!

Title it's pretty self-explanatory. We got an RFA because we had forgotten ticking the "have you ever been convicted or charged of a crime" and initially my finaceé thought she hadn't, so she ticked no. 

Afterward, she realized that she got charged with a Minor in Possession when she was in college, so we have to tick YES on the form. Since she already ticked no, can we just use some sort of correction fluid like tip-ex or similar to uncheck the box and mark the other or is that a no-no and we need to get a new form?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I looked and I didn't find any answers to this

Thank you all! 

What does the RFE specifically ask for?

YMMV

Timeline

If she was a minor at the time of the offense then chances are it’s not a public record and may not be able to obtain. What did the RFE say?

August 28 2017 - Returned to USA/NOA1 was in the mail waiting for me delivered on August 14th according to my brother who collected my mail

December 12 2018 - Email from embassy Administrative processing completed request to send passport, new 221g , new medical

January 15 2019 - POE - Dallas Ft Worth - Arrived Mobile Al airport - now home with me.

Timeline

I’m confused....you got an RFE which means you already sent the 129f in and they are asking for ??

since you sent in one already I don’t think you can send in another 129f by checking the correct answer. If they sent you an RFE it’s probably due to the fact they found something (such as the offense mentioned) and because it was checked no or unchecked they want court records or if you didn’t check anything they want a new fully completed 129f.

without knowing what the RFE says I can’t give a better answer

Edited by MandW

Timeline
1 hour ago, payxibka said:

What does the RFE specifically ask for?

58 minutes ago, MandW said:

I’m confused....you got an RFE which means you already sent the 129f in and they are asking for ??

since you sent in one already I don’t think you can send in another 129f by checking the correct answer. If they sent you an RFE it’s probably due to the fact they found something (such as the offense mentioned) and because it was checked no or unchecked they want court records or if you didn’t check anything they want a new fully completed 129f.

without knowing what the RFE says I can’t give a better answer

It says that we failed to answer all of the questions on form I-129F. Specifically Part 3. Question 4.a

"4. have you ever been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined, or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance in any country, excluding traffic violations (unless a traffic violation was alcohol-or drug- related or involved a fine of 500$ or more)"

We marked "No", but then we realized she had been charged for as a minor in possession and had to go to court, where she got a fine.

The RFE just say to return the requested information and all supporting documents with this original request.

Can I just white out the mark on the no and mark yes?

We cannot download another copy of this, since it's a letter USCIS sent us.

Thank you for your help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just read your post from last year when you were deciding between K-1 and CR-1.  Most responses suggested CR-1.  Looks like CR-1 would have been better for you in the first place, as a spouse petitioner's criminal record is not scrutinized as much as fiancee petitioner's for some reason.  Also, because you failed to check the "yes" box about arrests or convictions when your fiancee originally submitted the I-129F petition (even though you said you double or triple checked all the forms), now you have to explain why and include all the court documents in response to the RFE.  A frequent poster here on VJ (John & Rose) petitioned via K-1 and did not disclose a very old arrest on the I-129F, then when it came out via an RFE or at the interview, the K-1 was denied because of failure to disclose the criminal arrest, not because it was a serious offense.  So they got married and filed a CR-1, adding almost a year to their process and living apart.  Good luck in responding to the RFE.  If this previously undisclosed criminal arrest or conviction leads to the K-1 being denied, you will have to get married and file for a CR-1 after all.  

Edited by carmel34

Timeline
8 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Just read your post from last year when you were deciding between K-1 and CR-1.  Most responses suggested CR-1.  Looks like CR-1 would have been better for you in the first place, as a spouse petitioner's criminal record is not scrutinized as much as fiancee petitioner's for some reason.  Also, because you failed to check the "yes" box about arrests or convictions when your fiancee originally submitted the I-129F petition (even though you said you double or triple checked all the forms), now you have to explain why and include all the court documents in response to the RFE.  A frequent poster here on VJ (John & Rose) petitioned via K-1 and did not disclose a very old arrest on the I-129F, then when it came out via an RFE or at the interview, the K-1 was denied because of failure to disclose the criminal arrest, not because it was a serious offense.  So they got married and filed a CR-1, adding almost a year to their process and living apart.  Good luck in responding to the RFE.  If this previously undisclosed criminal arrest or conviction leads to the K-1 being denied, you will have to get married and file for a CR-1 after all.  

I appreciate your response, although it did not answer the question I asked at all.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mary&Rafa said:

I appreciate your response, although it did not answer the question I asked at all.

I think your problem is much bigger than whether you should use correction fluid on the RFE or not.  Failure to disclose a criminal arrest or conviction on the original I-129F can't be whited out.  USCIS probably found the criminal record when they did the background check on her and they want to see if she will own up and admit it, hence the RFE.  Whether you use correction fluid or contact USCIS for a new RFE form and explain why you need a new one, you need to think about the bigger issue here.  Does your fiancee have all the court records to attach to the RFE?  Did the RFE ask for court records if you mark "yes?"  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

I think your problem is much bigger than whether you should use correction fluid on the RFE or not.  Failure to disclose a criminal arrest or conviction on the original I-129F can't be whited out.  USCIS probably found the criminal record when they did the background check on her and they want to see if she will own up and admit it, hence the RFE.  Whether you use correction fluid or contact USCIS for a new RFE form and explain why you need a new one, you need to think about the bigger issue here.  Does your fiancee have all the court records to attach to the RFE?  Did the RFE ask for court records if you mark "yes?"  

My fianceé has all the court records and the documents that say that her record was expunged, so we can make certified copies and send that no problem. 

What you are saying seems really severe for just forgetting to mark a box, but then again the whole process is not to be taken lightly. I think we will call USCIS and see what can they say about the form.

Hopefully, they can understand it was an honest mistake (especially considering the crime) and our application isn't denied.

Also, when my fianceé got a background check done that charge didn't pop up, so I don't know why would it since it has been expunged.

Thank you for your answer, it has helped

1 hour ago, Mary&Rafa said:

Also, when my fianceé got a background check done that charge didn't pop up, so I don't know why would it since it has been expunged.

Expungement removes it from public records. The information about its existence is still available to the government.

One member here had an expunged crime from 30 years ago. The I-129F ended up getting approved, but the K-1 visa was refused after the interview due to the crime not being disclosed. The I-129F was sent back to USCIS to die. They are now married and working on a spousal visa.

The point is that while it may not seem like it, be happy they noticed it now. It can be disclosed - with proper court documents (or notice that they no longer exist) - and resolved without going through the rest of the process and being denied then.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Expungement removes it from public records. The information about its existence is still available to the government.

One member here had an expunged crime from 30 years ago. The I-129F ended up getting approved, but the K-1 visa was refused after the interview due to the crime not being disclosed. The I-129F was sent back to USCIS to die. They are now married and working on a spousal visa.

The point is that while it may not seem like it, be happy they noticed it now. It can be disclosed - with proper court documents (or notice that they no longer exist) - and resolved without going through the rest of the process and being denied then.

So should I just call USCIS and ask for a new form or use whiteout and send the actual one?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mary&Rafa said:

My fianceé has all the court records and the documents that say that her record was expunged, so we can make certified copies and send that no problem. 

What you are saying seems really severe for just forgetting to mark a box, but then again the whole process is not to be taken lightly. I think we will call USCIS and see what can they say about the form.

Hopefully, they can understand it was an honest mistake (especially considering the crime) and our application isn't denied.

Thank you for your answer, it has helped

If you did not mark the "yes" box to disclose the past offense on the I-129F, they most likely investigated and found the unreported crime, hence the RFE.  Or if they sent the RFE only because neither box was marked, the past offense will be discovered eventually so sending the records she has might help when the RFE response is considered.  I agree with geowrian, disclosing everything now might lead to a petition approval.  At least if they deny based on what she sends, you can get married and start the CR-1 process sooner than if you get denied after your interview.  I hope this all works out for you in the end.  All the best!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mary&Rafa said:

So should I just call USCIS and ask for a new form or use whiteout and send the actual one?

I think the petitioner is the only one who can call USCIS about her petition.  You as beneficiary can't do it.  She needs to respond to the RFE anyway.  Asking for a new form would add more weeks of waiting to this long process, so if this were me, I would just use the whiteout and send it, with a letter of explanation about the previous offense, and all court documents from the court with jurisdiction where the arrest/crime happened.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.