Valentina S

I-129f form questions

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi! I am a newcomer here. We chose with my fiance (petiotioner) K1 visa and going to fill out I-129f form and file all the docs needed ourselves.
I read a lot on official pages and here and have some questions concerning the petition. Thank you for everyone who help with confusing questions. Your comments and experiance really help!

So my questions are:
1. My fiance is a US citizen but many years ago he was a Green card holder so had A number. Should I put his A number on the form?
2. I have a maiden name which I put on the form in the relevant part. Do I have to file a copy of my certificate of name change with the petition?
3. We met online on tinder and I read that sometimes people get RFE for not filing evidence the online dating service is not IMB. So I am going to print tinder Terms&conditions and also got an e-mail from tinder customer support saying the following 
"Hello Valentina,

Tinder is not an international marriage broker as defined by the International Marriage Brokers Act.

Best,

Pamela" 
I am going to print it but will it be enough?
4. In part "Address in the US where your beneficiary intends to stay"  I am putting my fiance's current address as for the moment this is the plan.  But what about daytime phone number? I don’t have any for the moment. Do I have to put my fiance's cell number or leave it blank?
5. I've been to US several times but there is discrepancy in the form and instruction concerning last visit. Form says "If your beneficiary is CURRENTLY in the US complete item numbers 38.a-38.h". And instruction says " Provide the date of your beneficiary"s MOST RECENT entry in the US..." I am not in the US now and I am confused whether to fiil out the items or not. I left the country on January 6th but my authorized stay date will expire only in June 2019.
6. In part 4 (Biographic information) we have to choose ethnicity: either my fiance(petitioner)is Hispanic or not. And he is. So in item 2 I cannot choose anything as it doesn't apply to him and I live it blank. Is it right?
I also wonder if it influences  processing time or result as Hispanic ethnicity is in a separate paragraph?
7. Some items require dates. For example, the fiance's  present emloyer. He is still working there so there is no " end of employment date" Do I have to leave it blank or put " peresent"?
8. The instruction says when item doesn't apply to you put N/A but I read some recommended to leave blank. Which is better?

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
5 hours ago, Valentina S said:

Hi! I am a newcomer here. We chose with my fiance (petiotioner) K1 visa and going to fill out I-129f form and file all the docs needed ourselves.
I read a lot on official pages and here and have some questions concerning the petition. Thank you for everyone who help with confusing questions. Your comments and experiance really help!

So my questions are:

First of all, did you download the instructions for form I-129F? They're on the USCIS website and they hold A LOT of information

1. My fiance is a US citizen but many years ago he was a Green card holder so had A number. Should I put his A number on the form? I don't think so, I think you should go with his current status what's USC
2. I have a maiden name which I put on the form in the relevant part. Do I have to file a copy of my certificate of name change with the petition? Are you married to the USC? In that case you can't do K1 and have to go with CR1. If you're still married to someone else, finalize the divorce and then file. If you just decided to keep your married name from a previous marriage and there are documents that support that I guess you could disclose them, just never seen that before lol.
3. We met online on tinder and I read that sometimes people get RFE for not filing evidence the online dating service is not IMB. So I am going to print tinder Terms&conditions and also got an e-mail from tinder customer support saying the following 
"Hello Valentina,

Tinder is not an international marriage broker as defined by the International Marriage Brokers Act.

Best,

Pamela" 
I am going to print it but will it be enough? USCIS and embassy know Tinder and know that it's not an IMB. For your peace of mind you could just print what you have, they won't deny you solely on that
4. In part "Address in the US where your beneficiary intends to stay"  I am putting my fiance's current address as for the moment this is the plan.  But what about daytime phone number? I don’t have any for the moment. Do I have to put my fiance's cell number or leave it blank? Just put your fiancé's phone number. If they ask about if specifically for the beneficiary you can put a little explanation on the last page of the 129F why his number is listed twice.
5. I've been to US several times but there is discrepancy in the form and instruction concerning last visit. Form says "If your beneficiary is CURRENTLY in the US complete item numbers 38.a-38.h". And instruction says " Provide the date of your beneficiary"s MOST RECENT entry in the US..." I am not in the US now and I am confused whether to fiil out the items or not. I left the country on January 6th but my authorized stay date will expire only in June 2019. Follow what it states. If you're NOT currently in the US you don't fill that part out. Most recent date would be the date that you entered the US the last time you were there. Go with the most recent I-94 entrance date.
6. In part 4 (Biographic information) we have to choose ethnicity: either my fiance(petitioner)is Hispanic or not. And he is. So in item 2 I cannot choose anything as it doesn't apply to him and I live it blank. Is it right? I don't know the forms by heart so no clue what item 2 asks.... Just follow the question.
I also wonder if it influences  processing time or result as Hispanic ethnicity is in a separate paragraph? Seems to me that would be basing processing times on race and that's illegal. 
7. Some items require dates. For example, the fiance's  present emloyer. He is still working there so there is no " end of employment date" Do I have to leave it blank or put " peresent"? Present
8. The instruction says when item doesn't apply to you put N/A but I read some recommended to leave blank. Which is better? Depends on the question. Questions that are ment to be answered with a number (how many children do you have etc) will be none (in case the answer is actually 0!), other questions will be N/A

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1. You can just put his SSN. 

2. About the "maiden name" deal - Were you married previously, and kept your married name? Regardless, you do not have to provide "proof" of a name change. They just need to know ALL names you've been known by.

3. Tinder won't cause issues. What you have is fine.

4. Put your fiance's number. That's what I did on mine.

5. You do not have to fill this out, since you have left the U.S. It also won't hurt anything if you do. I completed filling out the I-129F while my fiance was visiting, but it didn't get mailed until after he went back home, so that part was filled out even though he'd left the country by the time USCIS received the petition.

6. Yes, check the hispanic/latino box and if none of the races apply to him, leave them blank. His ethnicity will not affect how the petition is processed. This is simply biometric data to help with things such as verifying identity and background checks.

7. Put "Present". If it won't let you type letters in the box because it wants a date, you can write the word in the box in black ink after you've printed the completed petition.

8. Either way is fine for the I-129F. It doesn't hurt to put n/a just to make it clear.

Good luck on your immigration journey!

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
14 hours ago, beloved_dingo said:

2. About the "maiden name" deal - Were you married previously, and kept your married name? Regardless, you do not have to provide "proof" of a name change. They just need to know ALL names you've been known by.

3. Tinder won't cause issues. What you have is fine.

4. Put your fiance's number. That's what I did on mine.

5. You do not have to fill this out, since you have left the U.S. It also won't hurt anything if you do. I completed filling out the I-129F while my fiance was visiting, but it didn't get mailed until after he went back home, so that part was filled out even though he'd left the country by the time USCIS received the petition.

6. Yes, check the hispanic/latino box and if none of the races apply to him, leave them blank. His ethnicity will not affect how the petition is processed. This is simply biometric data to help with things such as verifying identity and background checks.

7. Put "Present". If it won't let you type letters in the box because it wants a date, you can write the word in the box in black ink after you've printed the completed petition.

8. Either way is fine for the I-129F. It doesn't hurt to put n/a just to make it clear.

Good luck on your immigration journey!

Thank you so much!

This is even  more clear reply than  I  could expect!

15 hours ago, C90 said:

thank you for your help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
23 hours ago, beloved_dingo said:

You can NOT put his SSN where it asks for A number. There is a special section where it asks for SSN, that is the ONLY place you put his SSN. If he's a USC now you just leave the A number section blank

Timeline
1 hour ago, C90 said:

You can NOT put his SSN where it asks for A number. There is a special section where it asks for SSN, that is the ONLY place you put his SSN. If he's a USC now you just leave the A number section blank

That's not what I said. I did not say "put his SSN where it asks for A-number." I'm saying she can put his SSN in the appropriate blank, as seen in the screenshot below. 

2019-01-30 09_35_16-Window.png

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
14 hours ago, beloved_dingo said:

That's not what I said. I did not say "put his SSN where it asks for A-number." I'm saying she can put his SSN in the appropriate blank, as seen in the screenshot below. 

2019-01-30 09_35_16-Window.png

thank you.

I understood what you meant saying to put my fiance SSN)

Congratulations with visa approvement by the way!

It was a long journey for you. 

Mine just started)

Timeline
8 hours ago, Valentina S said:

thank you.

I understood what you meant saying to put my fiance SSN)

Congratulations with visa approvement by the way!

It was a long journey for you. 

Mine just started)

You're welcome ^^

And thank you for the congrats! We will still be apart until May, but having that approval really brings so much relief!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

You're welcome ^^

And thank you for the congrats! We will still be apart until May, but having that approval really brings so much relief!

I can imagine.

Waiting is different when you know the date when it finishes)

And I have one more question if you can help)

I read some people send scanned copies of documents, such as letter of intent with signature, certified translation of divorce certificate etc. I mean the docs that should be signed. 

Are the scanned copies really accepted? It can save good amount of money instead of sending by regular mail from another continent.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Valentina S said:

I can imagine.

Waiting is different when you know the date when it finishes)

And I have one more question if you can help)

I read some people send scanned copies of documents, such as letter of intent with signature, certified translation of divorce certificate etc. I mean the docs that should be signed. 

Are the scanned copies really accepted? It can save good amount of money instead of sending by regular mail from another continent.

We didn't have any issues sending in scanned copies/photocopies. My fiance's letter of intent, my divorce papers, etc were scanned/printed for the packet.

Per the I-129F instructions "You should submit legible photocopies of documents requested, unless the Instructions specifically state that you must submit an original document. USCIS may request an original document at the time of filing or at any time during processing of an application, petition, or request."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 1/29/2019 at 12:06 AM, Valentina S said:

1. My fiance is a US citizen but many years ago he was a Green card holder so had A number. Should I put his A number on the form?

I did not put my A number on the I-129F, and my petition was approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.