Zoeeeeeee

Divorce papers - did we send the right document?

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

So sorry to keep asking questions - I imagine this question or similar has been asked before, but I’m not managing to find anything in the search facility 😫.

In conversation with my fiancé, we were discussing the documents he sent and he’s advised that the proof of divorce he sent was his ‘notice of entry of judgement’ - he called it his decree, but when he sent a photo, it’s actually called a notice of entry of judgement.

I’ve done a bit of digging online and it seems that the judgement and the decree are one and the same - apparently in California (maybe this applies to the whole of the US?), the judgement is your decree (if anyone has gone through divorce in CA and can confirm this, that would be great!). 

Now, the document my fiancé sent is just a page long (see below) - and that is apparently ‘the decree’. He also has ‘the judgement’, which is 13 pages long and contains the same first page as the decree - but then also has all the details about settlements, financial support, etc. I’m guessing that he should have probably sent a copy of the judgement too?

If so, do we need to wait to get a RFE, or can he post a copy of the judgement now - I’m assuming if he included a cover letter explaining what’s enclosed and including the receipt number listed on the NOA (that’s the only identifying number we can find in the NOA, so guess that’s our case number?), that would be the way to do it?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thank you,

Zoë

7E268CD0-B468-4D76-B7A8-C82B33461B93.jpeg

Edited by Zoeeeeeee
Edited to remove personal details from photo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Hi everyone,

So sorry to keep asking questions - I imagine this question or similar has been asked before, but I’m not managing to find anything in the search facility 😫.

In conversation with my fiancé, we were discussing the documents he sent and he’s advised that the proof of divorce he sent was his ‘notice of entry of judgement’ - he called it his decree, but when he sent a photo, it’s actually called a notice of entry of judgement.

I’ve done a bit of digging online and it seems that the judgement and the decree are one and the same - apparently in California (maybe this applies to the whole of the US?), the judgement is your decree (if anyone has gone through divorce in CA and can confirm this, that would be great!). 

Now, the document my fiancé sent is just a page long (see below) - and that is apparently ‘the decree’. He also has ‘the judgement’, which is 13 pages long and contains the same first page as the decree - but then also has all the details about settlements, financial support, etc. I’m guessing that he should have probably sent a copy of the judgement too?

If so, do we need to wait to get a RFE, or can he post a copy of the judgement now - I’m assuming if he included a cover letter explaining what’s enclosed and including the receipt number listed on the NOA (that’s the only identifying number we can find in the NOA, so guess that’s our case number?), that would be the way to do it?

Thank you,

Zoë

In the sate of PA my attorney filed a form like this with the court house after all divorce paperwork was signed by both parties but 30 days later I received the final decree from the court house.  It says Final Divorce Decree.   This form however has  a Judgement of Dissolution date perhaps someone familiar with California divorce can be more helpful.  Does he remember receiving a final document from the court?

45 minutes ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

In the sate of PA my attorney filed a form like this with the court house after all divorce paperwork was signed by both parties but 30 days later I received the final decree from the court house.  It says Final Divorce Decree.   This form however has  a Judgement of Dissolution date perhaps someone familiar with California divorce can be more helpful.  Does he remember receiving a final document from the court?

Thanks for responding 🙂.

He went to the courthouse on the 5th to pick up his divorce certificate and decree and I believe this is what they gave him. It’s 7am there now, so I’m going to go wake him up and check 😆.

When we did ours I submitted full certified copies of my 2 divorces, Not just a one page document.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

2 hours ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

Ok, spoken with my fiancé and he’s advised that the one page document  he sent (the notice of entry of judgement) was what the court sent to him on 5th December. He also went into the courthouse on 6th December to ask for a copy of his decree and they gave him another copy of the ‘notice of entry of judgement’ and told him “that is your decree” when he queried.

Apparently the longer document (the judgement) was given to him on the day of their court case (26th October) - so that was technically before the divorce had finalised (the 30 day rule)...so I’m thinking that there probably isn’t a lot of point sending the judgement? And that the ‘notice of entry of judgement’ is probably the right document? 

Thanks

Zoë

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My gut instinct is that what you sent is sufficient. They need proof that the divorce is final - and that document clearly shows that.

When people have gotten an RFE for their divorce decree, it is usually because they sent the judgment - but not in its entirety and/or lacking the Judge's signature. 

In Alabama, the divorce decree (or Final Judgment of Divorce) is signed by the Judge, and the Certificate of Divorce can then be obtained from the Clerk's office - which is a one page document showing legal proof that the marriage is dissolved and divorce is final. 

I honestly don't think you'll get an RFE

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

3 hours ago, G Walters said:

When we did ours I submitted full certified copies of my 2 divorces, Not just a one page document.

My fiancé has 32 pages we have to submit the 32 and the paper signed for the judge where say the marriage is disolve? We are thinking in send all the papers my fiancé has. He is from Texas. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, CinBr said:

My fiancé has 32 pages we have to submit the 32 and the paper signed for the judge where say the marriage is disolve? We are thinking in send all the papers my fiancé has. He is from Texas. 

Better to send too much than not enough. I'd send it all.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

1 hour ago, beloved_dingo said:

My gut instinct is that what you sent is sufficient. They need proof that the divorce is final - and that document clearly shows that.

When people have gotten an RFE for their divorce decree, it is usually because they sent the judgment - but not in its entirety and/or lacking the Judge's signature. 

In Alabama, the divorce decree (or Final Judgment of Divorce) is signed by the Judge, and the Certificate of Divorce can then be obtained from the Clerk's office - which is a one page document showing legal proof that the marriage is dissolved and divorce is final. 

I honestly don't think you'll get an RFE

Fab, thank you @beloved_dingo - we so want to do this perfectly and not have any hold ups, so I’m always worrying about mistakes! I really appreciate your input 🙂.

Zoë

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline
18 hours ago, beloved_dingo said:

Better to send too much than not enough. I'd send it all.

My husband is from TX, too, his divorce decree was 10+ pages.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

My divorce was in CA too and I went to the court and paid for a certified copy of the divorce judgement which was 30+ pages long and included the judge's actual signature on the last page of the settlement agreement. I think what they look for is the signature of the judge, but it honestly seems like it depends on the officer that reviews the petition whether or not an RFE is issued. If you've already submitted the petition, your fiancé might want to order a certified copy of the judgement in case they request something with the judges signature down the road. Best of luck and congratulations! :)  

19 hours ago, Mrs. M said:

My divorce was in CA too and I went to the court and paid for a certified copy of the divorce judgement which was 30+ pages long and included the judge's actual signature on the last page of the settlement agreement. I think what they look for is the signature of the judge, but it honestly seems like it depends on the officer that reviews the petition whether or not an RFE is issued. If you've already submitted the petition, your fiancé might want to order a certified copy of the judgement in case they request something with the judges signature down the road. Best of luck and congratulations! :)  

Thanks very much @Mrs. M, that’s really helpful!

Spoken with my fiancé and he did go to the court and pay for a certified copy of the judgement, which is signed by the judge - but he didn’t send this version with the petition! 🙄

He is going to call the phone number on the NOA1 today to confirm where to send his certified judgment (we’re not sure if we’d send to the Dallas PO Box that he sent the original petition to, or to the California address listed on the NOA1) - he tried calling yesterday but the call disconnected after 1.5 hours! 😫😫

We want to send the judgement in straight away, so we can avoid an RFE if possible...

Timeline
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:42 AM, Zoeeeeeee said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Zoë

Hello,

My divorce was also In California. When I first applied for my Husband I only sent the Judgment page also and it was accepted by USCIS, but when we got to the NVC stage I only uploaded this again, but they sent me an email asking for the full decree (which was 16 pages) once I uploaded all pages it was accepted. Did not get anything certified just sent the judgment and decree. Also for his interview he took my original copy with him.

Thanks @Luckystar78, that’s good to hear! 

My fiancé called the USCIS line a couple of hours ago and they advised the document is correct and he doesn’t need to send anything else...which sounds great, however they also said that if any if the documents weren’t correct or what they needed, it would’ve said on the NOA1 and there would’ve been instructions on what to do/send...however, I understand that’s not entirely correct, hence people receiving RFE’s later on (though my knowledge is obviously very limited on this, so I hope I’m wrong!)...

So, we’ll see what happens! 

I’ll make sure my fiancé submits both at the NVC stage...forgive my ignorance, but what is the NVC stage? 😄

Zoë

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

@Zoeeeeeee after USCIS approves your application they will foreward your case to NVC (National Visa Center) the Nvc will have you complete online application and you will directly upload and documents they ask for. If you are missing anything or anything more needed after you upload everything they will notify you right away and you just upload what they need. They notified me within 2 days that they needed the full decree. Once they accept everything they then foreward to embassy and set up your interview. I know this whole process can be confusing and overwhelming at times, but people here on visa journey helped alot with any questions I had. Im so thankful for this or I would be lost with this lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.