Chris Duffy

Supreme Court allows transgender military ban to go into effect

8 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

Ban on transgender service members allowed to be enforced for now...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/politics/scotus-transgender-ban/index.html

To be all honest I am fine with this. What I have gathered is that transgender people that have ALREADY transitioned can still join without issues. The ban was for those that have not transitioned yet but join the military and then opt to transition in the military which would put them in to a Non-deployable status. 

• Ontarkie changed the title to Supreme Court allows transgender military ban to go into effect
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

To be all honest I am fine with this. What I have gathered is that transgender people that have ALREADY transitioned can still join without issues. The ban was for those that have not transitioned yet but join the military and then opt to transition in the military which would put them in to a Non-deployable status. 

Even though most of them still need to take hormones for the rest of their lives? 

I say let everyone who wants to serve and protect our country do it if they're able. 

3 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Even though most of them still need to take hormones for the rest of their lives? 

I say let everyone who wants to serve and protect our country do it if they're able. 

The key thing that I have read and heard about is that those people that were transitioning while in the military were put in a non-deployable status in order for them to fully transition(surgery). Once that was complete then they could be deployable again once they were deemed medically fit to deploy. But the key issue is the non-deployability of those people while transitioning which was up to and over a year of not being able to deploy. Which they have been cutting down on for the last couple of years. 

Filed: Timeline

And if a person plays their cards correctly they can join, opt for surgery/chemical transformation on the government’s dime, not deploy for quite some time, have some “issues” with the  transformation, then get out of the military.  A good way to pay for a very expensive life changing event, not really serve very much, and get out with a pre-paid college education (Post-9/11 GI Bill).  

Yeah, I am all for this ruling.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

The key thing that I have read and heard about is that those people that were transitioning while in the military were put in a non-deployable status in order for them to fully transition(surgery). Once that was complete then they could be deployable again once they were deemed medically fit to deploy. But the key issue is the non-deployability of those people while transitioning which was up to and over a year of not being able to deploy. Which they have been cutting down on for the last couple of years. 

I think when the subject was discussed here on the forum before it was mentioned that after a person announces their wish to transition there is around 12 months of counselling . Then the surgery and recovery time along with more counselling, I believe the time quoted was approximately 3 years for the whole process to complete. So a person could sign up and declare not long after their wish to transition and they would be withdrawn from being deployed. Spend 3 years basically being treated by the military and then when it's all sorted leave after you have had your free paid for surgery by tax payers. 

Maybe it's not that way for all but as a potential loophole it had to be removed.

Mar-15-2017 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

Mar-21-2017 - NOA1 Priority date & Case assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Dec-15-2017 - NOA2 I-130 approved

Jan-08-2018 -  NVC received

Jan-17-2018 - Received DS-261 AOS bill

Jan-17-2018 - Paid DS-261 AOS bill & submit 

Jan-26-2018 - Received IV bill

Jan-27-2018 - Paid IV bill

Feb-10-2018 - Send IV package

Feb-13-2018 - Scan Date

Feb-27-2018 - NVC Case Complete

Mar-17-2018   Receive interview date for April, St Patrick's Day good day to be Irish

Apr-17-2018    Interview at Dublin Embassy 

Apr-17-2018    Interview completed now in AP pending submitting other paperwork

Apr-25-2018    Additional information provided as requested 

May-09-2018   Visa approved, CEAC status changed to "Issued"

May-11-2018   Passport returned along with envelope for border control. 

Sep-18-2018    Entry through US Precleance Dublin, no problems at all.

Aug-27-2021   N400 for citizenship based on 3 year rule filed electronically

Aug-27-2021   NOA1 application received

Oct-02-2021    Notification of biometrics date

Oct-26-2021    Biometrics 

Jul-27-2022     Interview Raleigh NC, passed and same day oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Not all transexuals feels the need to go through all the surgeries though but yeah most places would require 12 months of counseling unless it varies from state to state. But the counseling is to only figure out if they want to actually go through with the change while living as the sex they want to transition too. 

I guess people could use it as a loophole but at the same time, there are other ways of footing the bill that doesn't require joining the military. Feels like a very weird way to go.