sdraza1

immigration of brother (Canadian citizen living in Canada)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

the process will take 14 years or more, who knows, the younger will have aged out, so they won't be immigrating with you, they will be too old

your wife will as your derivative

Edited by aleful

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Currently, it takes about 14 years for a USC to petition for a sibling.  The waiting period is not fixed and changes over time.  Your wait could be shorter or longer.

Your wife will be able to immigrate with you.

Your children will age out and will not be able to immigrate with you.

Timeline

hi

ditto, your brother files the i130 and then you forget about the petition, nothing will really happen for a very long time

Just curious, did your brother naturalize or was he a natural born USC?  The reason I ask is that if you have a USC parent or grandparent, you may already be a US Citizen legally speaking

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

One more question, if my brother applies for my immigration, will me and my family still be able to go to USA to visit my brother as if this happens for someone in pakistan, that pakistni can't come to USA on visit visa.   2ndly what does law say, when I get green card, how much time in a year I will have to live in USA to maintain that green card.

Timeline

hi

since it will take 14 years or longer, yes you can visit in the mean time, if you can get a tourist visa

the GC is for living in the US, if you aren't willing to live here full time and visit other places once in a while, then it's not worth it, you must live an work here, build your life here.

6 minutes ago, sdraza1 said:

One more question, if my brother applies for my immigration, will me and my family still be able to go to USA to visit my brother as if this happens for someone in pakistan, that pakistni can't come to USA on visit visa.   2ndly what does law say, when I get green card, how much time in a year I will have to live in USA to maintain that green card.

When you, or anyone else, gets a green card, you have to live in the US all the time. Green Card = permanent resident. The US would be your permanent home. You can visit Canada or Pakistan, or anywhere else for a short duration, but the US would be your permanent home. Think long and hard if that's what you want.

Cannot use a green card as some sort of super tourist visa.

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

49 minutes ago, sdraza1 said:

You will get a visit visa if you can convince the embassy that you will return to Pakistan after your short visits, in the meanwhile while you wait for your green card.

To maintain a green card: You need to spend more time inside than outside the US, maintain your principal residence here, file tax returns with the IRS and remember you need to declare worldwide income to the IRS regardless of where you live or work as long as you have a green card.  

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, sdraza1 said:

Many people visit the US with pending immigration cases. 

Green card holders are required to live in the US full time to maintain their green cards.  You can visit other places, but you must live in the US full time.  A green card is not a visitor visa; that is not its purpose.  Use it as a visitor visa and you it will be taken away from you.

With a 25 years child, you are probably around 45 years old right now.  By the time you qualify for an immigration visa, you will be 60 years old.  You will need to consider the expenses of getting your immigration visa and what you will do to live in the US.  There are many benefits that you will not qualify for.  You will not get retirement money from Social Security.  You will not get free medical insurance through Medicare or Medicaid. 

Why do you want to immigrate to the US at age 60?  You're a Canadian citizen, so you can visit the US freely for up to 6 months at a time.   Why would you give up Canadian health care to move to the US where you will have to pay for very expensive health insurance?  Why are you concern about Pakistani needing visitor visas?  

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Many people visit the US with pending immigration cases. 

Green card holders are required to live in the US full time to maintain their green cards.  You can visit other places, but you must live in the US full time.  A green card is not a visitor visa; that is not its purpose.  Use it as a visitor visa and you it will be taken away from you.

With a 25 years child, you are probably around 45 years old right now.  By the time you qualify for an immigration visa, you will be 60 years old.  You will need to consider the expenses of getting your immigration visa and what you will do to live in the US.  There are many benefits that you will not qualify for.  You will not get retirement money from Social Security.  You will not get free medical insurance through Medicare or Medicaid. 

Why do you want to immigrate to the US at age 60?  You're a Canadian citizen, so you can visit the US freely for up to 6 months at a time.   Why would you give up Canadian health care to move to the US where you will have to pay for very expensive health insurance?  Why are you concern about Pakistani needing visitor visas?  

Worth repeating I assume maybe older but principle is the same.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.