9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone! Need some answers to those who have experienced this. I just had my biometrics done and they put it under my maiden name cause I didn't get to bring my marriage certificate with me to my appointment. So now i'm assuming my ead/ap and gc will have my maiden name on it though I know I can still change my gc into my married name by the time of the interview. My question is, can I call USCIS now to change my name even before the interview? So that my ead/ap will already have my married name? cause when I filed for my aos I did included a copy of my marriage certificate anyway. TIA. 

Edited by Mike & Chai

7 minutes ago, Mike & Chai said:

Hello everyone! Need some answers to those who have experienced this. I just had my biometrics done and they put it under my maiden name cause I didn't get to bring my marriage certificate with me to my appointment. So now i'm assuming my ead/ap and gc will have my maiden name on it though I know I can still change my gc into my married name by the time of the interview. My question is, can I call USCIS now to change my name even before the interview? So that my ead/ap will already have my married name? cause when I filed for my aos I did included a copy of my marriage certificate anyway. TIA. 

How do you know "they put it under your maiden name"? If your biometrics appointment letter is in your married name that's how they input the info. 

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline

The officer changed my name on the form that I filled up into my maiden name because I didn't get to show them my marriage certificate. But it's also confusing cause they told me that in their system, they still have me on my maiden name even though they put my married name on my appointment letter. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

How do you know "they put it under your maiden name"? If your biometrics appointment letter is in your married name that's how they input the info. 

Forgot to quote you on my first reply. 

4 minutes ago, Mike & Chai said:

The officer changed my name on the form that I filled up into my maiden name because I didn't get to show them my marriage certificate. But it's also confusing cause they told me that in their system, they still have me on my maiden name even though they put my married name on my appointment letter. 

Oh boy. The staff at the ASC's are really clueless. I would call USCIS and ask what name they have on file because that may in fact be an error.

BUT the officers at the ASC's have no authority to change your name on the form. All they are responsible for is collecting your photo and fingerprints in the name listed on the form. Sure they are required to ask for official ID in the same name but they cant argue that it's not you. In worst case scenario they could have sent you away and told you to come back with your MC. 

Just call. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

That’s very odd. In Tampa, I was actually told by the lady at counter who organizes everyone for their biometrics (she was really talkative and friendly) that many people send their paperwork with their new married name and then forget to bring their marriage certificate for the biometrics to justify why their passport shows a different name than the one on the appointment letter. She told me she would send them back to reschedule the biometrics. I guess you should call USCIS and explain your situation as to me it seems odd. If you sent your AOS application on your new name (and you put your maiden name in the spaces for “other names used”), the NOA and the appointment letter should’ve come on your married name and they should not have been able to change it back to maiden name. Maybe they used your alien number, as that one doesn’t change since you were assigned one during your K visa stage. In that case, in the interview the agent will ask you about the confusion if any was reported. Maybe it was all done under your alien number. Just give them a call to make sure.

Edited by dnyal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

For future references, just try to keep a folder with ALL your visa process documentation and bring it with you to ANY place where you’re required to go by the US government. One just never knows when it might come handy. Doing that certainly has saved me at least twice of getting things all messed up, one of those times being precisely going to my biometrics and being asked for my marriage certificate (I had brought the whole thing just in case). That’s why the lady at the counter said to me what I explained before; she was surprised I had brought the document.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Oh boy. The staff at the ASC's are really clueless. I would call USCIS and ask what name they have on file because that may in fact be an error.

BUT the officers at the ASC's have no authority to change your name on the form. All they are responsible for is collecting your photo and fingerprints in the name listed on the form. Sure they are required to ask for official ID in the same name but they cant argue that it's not you. In worst case scenario they could have sent you away and told you to come back with your MC. 

Just call. 

I know. They didn't even ask me to just come back with the MC, they right away sent me to another officer who told me that they have me as my maiden name on their system. I'll try to call USCIS asap about this. Thank you so much. 

Edited by Mike & Chai

Timeline
13 minutes ago, dnyal said:

For future references, just try to keep a folder with ALL your visa process documentation and bring it with you to ANY place where you’re required to go by the US government. One just never knows when it might come handy. Doing that certainly has saved me at least twice of getting things all messed up, one of those times being precisely going to my biometrics and being asked for my marriage certificate (I had brought the whole thing just in case). That’s why the lady at the counter said to me what I explained before; she was surprised I had brought the document.

I always do that, I don't know why for this one I became careless and just brought only my passport with me. Maybe because I was also confident since I already included my marriage certificate in my aos application and yes I also put down on my application that my other names used is my maiden name. Thank you so much for noticing my post. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.