ChelseaJanelle

Prescription Medication After moving to US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure where to place this question. 

My fiancé will be entering the US at the beginning of March on a K1. He is from Canada and currently takes medication prescribed from his doctor for ADHD - which is adderall, and a controlled substance. 

(Obviously we will get him health insurance and he still needs to speak with his current doctor.)

So i have a few questions if anyone has relatable experience with this or something similar. 

1. Is it possible for him to receive the actual medication from Canada for a few months?

2. Would his current doctor be able to forward his existing prescription to a pharmacy in the US? Or would a US pharmacy accept a canadian prescription?

3. Would a US doctor recognize his ADHD diagnosis from a canadian physician? Or would he be required to receive a new diagnosis in the US?

Or, if anyone knows of other questions i should be asking (or that he should ask his doctor), I’d appreciate any helpful input.

Thank you!!

9 minutes ago, ChelseaJanelle said:

Not sure where to place this question. 

My fiancé will be entering the US at the beginning of March on a K1. He is from Canada and currently takes medication prescribed from his doctor for ADHD - which is adderall, and a controlled substance. 

(Obviously we will get him health insurance and he still needs to speak with his current doctor.)

So i have a few questions if anyone has relatable experience with this or something similar. 

1. Is it possible for him to receive the actual medication from Canada for a few months?

2. Would his current doctor be able to forward his existing prescription to a pharmacy in the US? Or would a US pharmacy accept a canadian prescription?

3. Would a US doctor recognize his ADHD diagnosis from a canadian physician? Or would he be required to receive a new diagnosis in the US?

Or, if anyone knows of other questions i should be asking (or that he should ask his doctor), I’d appreciate any helpful input.

Thank you!!

1. Usually, yes. He should ask his doctor.

2. No, sorry.

3. Best if he brings a copy of his medical file, tests, etc. His doctor should be able to write a short summary/letter also. If you know which clinic he'll visit, you might ask them what is preferred/best way to facilitate uninterrupted treatment. 

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

If your fiancé brings prescription medication from Canada to the US, it is wise to get a medical passport. In the Netherlands you can get that at every pharmacy for free, don't know if it's the same in Canada. If CBP would check his medication, the medical passport shows it's for personal use and on prescription. 

Filed: Timeline

Canadian prescriptions are not honored in the US. Suggest you go to a psychiatrist when you get to the US. A psychiatrist might be more sympathetic. A general practitioner may be unwilling to prescribe a medication with know addiction potential to a stranger. Adderall is heavily abused in the US, and is a DEA Schedule II drug---along with cocaine, Vicodin, Fentanyl and oxycodone!

https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling

Edited by databit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Normally most medication can be given to last 6 months. I did that for us.  I doubt the doctors would be willing to write a script for 6 months of adderall though. 

If adding him to your insurance you should be able to look up the tiers of medication and what is covered.  That will help you figure out if they would even cover it. If not he can start weaning off that and on to another medication while still in Canada. 

I know of several members who had to switch meds because what they were on was not available in the US, or doctors just didn't want to write that one(my case with inhalers) or their insurance refused to cover it because they don't feel you exhausted all the lower medication first. 

As for whether the doctor would except the diagnosis. I don't think it would not be a problem if he takes the bottle of medication with him. Make sure his name, DOB and other info is clear. I never brought any of our medical records. Too darn expensive to get them from the doctors in Canada, and if he is in a town where your bounced around from doctor to doctor good luck trying to find them.  The kids and I never had any issues with doctors not taking our word for things.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from General Immigration Discussion.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Update:

My Canadian fiancé received a 3 month supply of his medication from his doctor. The medication was in the prescription bottle and listed on our inventory sheet at POE. There were no issues or questions at POE (which was Port Huron, Michigan) and we didn’t mention it. Hope other K1 Canadians find this helpful!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Good for you!  Thanks for the helpful update.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

19 hours ago, ChelseaJanelle said:

Update:

My Canadian fiancé received a 3 month supply of his medication from his doctor. The medication was in the prescription bottle and listed on our inventory sheet at POE. There were no issues or questions at POE (which was Port Huron, Michigan) and we didn’t mention it. Hope other K1 Canadians find this helpful!

Good to know

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.