totobio

DV VISA ISSUANCE DELAY WORRYING

19 posts in this topic

I was selected for the DV 2019 and by the Grace of God I had my interview together with my wife and 2 kids in Accra in the first week of December, 2018. We got approved and we were given a sheet to register online for document pick up in 2 weeks. Its been almost 4 weeks now but we have no feedback from the consulate. My checks on CEAC from 1st January up to date has always shown all our status as READY since December 14, 2018. I also went to the DHL pick up centre after 2 weeks but there was no document available for me.

I am getting a bit worried as beyond the huge bill that got us to the interview, there are huge financial obligations we need to fulfill beginning this month (Rent renewal, school fees for my kids and a decision to join my company's car ownership scheme or not). I feel this DV Visa process has stalled our lives and brought everything to a halt for us not knowing what to do. I understand the opportunity to leave as an LPR in America is the greatest thing that can happen to us but deafening silence and no feedback on our case is throwing everything out of gear for us.

I wish to respectfully draw some thoughts on our case.

What could be delaying the issuance of the visas? Does the status READY mean we are on AP?

Why can't the consulate give us at least some update on our case? A look at other countries forums on other sites suggest a relatively shorter processing period for visas including DV cases, why is the Ghanaian consulate late on processing?(inferring from comments here and elsewhere).

Could an approved case be put on AP without informing the applicant?

I would be glad if ya'll can assist me clear my head on this issue. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Your post doesn't indicate that you have emailed the consulate to ask......have you?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Did they keep your passports? That is somewhat an indications. It sounds like they did, and that is a good sign.

Anyway, my advice has always been that you live your life normally until you have a visa in hand. You do not make any life decision differently until you have a visa in hand. That would be how I would proceed if I was in your shoes.

11 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Did they keep your passports? That is somewhat an indications. It sounds like they did, and that is a good sign.

Anyway, my advice has always been that you live your life normally until you have a visa in hand. You do not make any life decision differently until you have a visa in hand. That would be how I would proceed if I was in your shoes.

Yes they kept all of our passports Sir. Thank you for your kind words. is this a normal situation that our case has gone beyond 2 weeks without any feedback and no update that suggest we are on AP? I know in some cases people are called back to present missing documents or be scheduled for a second interview, in my case not even a beep on the phone.

Edited by totobio

28 minutes ago, missileman said:

Your post doesn't indicate that you have emailed the consulate to ask......have you?

have done that severally including today, I am yet to get a response from them on today's mail. Previous mails have returned with the same message. "We do not know the exact time you visa would be ready. Once it is ready you will be notified"

10 minutes ago, totobio said:

Yes they kept all of our passports Sir. Thank you for your kind words. is this a normal situation that our case has gone beyond 2 weeks without any feedback and no update that suggest we are on AP?

Yes, It's normal. Their standard response is always "2 weeks" but not always the case. It could be more, less, much much more. Like I said, if they kept all your passports, that is somewhat of a good sign. That means they think the case is approvable, just waiting for whatever "administrative things" they need to do before a visa can be printed out and affixed to your passport. Even after the visa is printed and affixed to your passport, they still do quality control check on each visa to make sure it absolutely 100% will read correctly when you stand in front of a CBP officer at the port of entry. So there are a lot of administrative steps here that need to happen between the interview and when the visa is officially "issued". That including if the visa printer runs out of ink and they have to wait two weeks for the special secret ink to arrive, so that's another two weeks. I just make that up, but you get the picture.

If all goes well, the next status update you will see may be "AP", and don't be alarmed, it will be "AP" for only a day or two and then change to "Issued" which is the final update.

So keep up the positive thoughts. However, again, do not sell your properties, houses, vehicles, ... do you quit your job, or make/change life plans until you have that passport and visa in your hand. The visa is usually valid for 6 months or whenever your medicals expire, so you will have few months to wrap things up before you have to go to the US.

Best of luck, sir!

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, totobio said:

have done that severally including today, I am yet to get a response from them on today's mail. Previous mails have returned with the same message. "We do not know the exact time you visa would be ready. Once it is ready you will be notified"

You have done everything you can at this point.........Good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yes, It's normal. Their standard response is always "2 weeks" but not always the case. It could be more, less, much much more. Like I said, if they kept all your passports, that is somewhat of a good sign. That means they think the case is approvable, just waiting for whatever "administrative things" they need to do before a visa can be printed out and affixed to your passport. Even after the visa is printed and affixed to your passport, they still do quality control check on each visa to make sure it absolutely 100% will read correctly when you stand in front of a CBP officer at the port of entry. So there are a lot of administrative steps here that need to happen between the interview and when the visa is officially "issued". That including if the visa printer runs out of ink and they have to wait two weeks for the special secret ink to arrive, so that's another two weeks. I just make that up, but you get the picture.

If all goes well, the next status update you will see may be "AP", and don't be alarmed, it will be "AP" for only a day or two and then change to "Issued" which is the final update.

So keep up the positive thoughts. However, again, do not sell your properties, houses, vehicles, ... do you quit your job, or make/change life plans until you have that passport and visa in your hand. The visa is usually valid for 6 months or whenever your medicals expire, so you will have few months to wrap things up before you have to go to the US.

Best of luck, sir!

Most grateful for the detailed feedback. This is absolutely great and insightful and I will definitely keep hope alive and hold on with things for a few days. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, missileman said:

You have done everything you can at this point.........Good luck.

Thank you Sir.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, totobio said:

I was selected for the DV 2019 and by the Grace of God I had my interview together with my wife and 2 kids in Accra in the first week of December, 2018. We got approved and we were given a sheet to register online for document pick up in 2 weeks. Its been almost 4 weeks now but we have no feedback from the consulate. My checks on CEAC from 1st January up to date has always shown all our status as READY since December 14, 2018. I also went to the DHL pick up centre after 2 weeks but there was no document available for me.

I am getting a bit worried as beyond the huge bill that got us to the interview, there are huge financial obligations we need to fulfill beginning this month (Rent renewal, school fees for my kids and a decision to join my company's car ownership scheme or not). I feel this DV Visa process has stalled our lives and brought everything to a halt for us not knowing what to do. I understand the opportunity to leave as an LPR in America is the greatest thing that can happen to us but deafening silence and no feedback on our case is throwing everything out of gear for us.

I wish to respectfully draw some thoughts on our case.

What could be delaying the issuance of the visas? Does the status READY mean we are on AP?

Why can't the consulate give us at least some update on our case? A look at other countries forums on other sites suggest a relatively shorter processing period for visas including DV cases, why is the Ghanaian consulate late on processing?(inferring from comments here and elsewhere).

Could an approved case be put on AP without informing the applicant?

I would be glad if ya'll can assist me clear my head on this issue. Thank you.

The US immigration process is always uncertain in terms of timing, so live your normal lives as best you can and wait, as hard as that is and frustrating, we are all dealing with it.  Most likely your visa approval at the interview happened just before the long holiday season at the end of the year so they are backlogged and it may take longer than 2 weeks so be patient and wait.  Congratulations on getting approved!  Try to put off any big financial commitments like sell a home or buy airline tickets until you have your passports back with visas in them.  Good luck with your transition to life in the USA!  What an adventure for you and your family!

I agree that the holiday season probably delayed things. US embassies observe both US federal holidays and the holidays of the country they are based in so with those plus weekends, not a lot of working days really in the past 2 weeks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
11 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I agree that the holiday season probably delayed things. US embassies observe both US federal holidays and the holidays of the country they are based in so with those plus weekends, not a lot of working days really in the past 2 weeks.

My thought as well.

To the OP, be patient, and Good Luck!  My wife’s cousin and her husband are arriving next week with their DV GCs to begin their life here in America.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

48 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

My thought as well.

To the OP, be patient, and Good Luck!  My wife’s cousin and her husband are arriving next week with their DV GCs to begin their life here in America.

Thanks for your kind words Sir. I hope the coming weeks bring me the good news we have all been waiting for. 

12 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Thanks @SusieQQQ, I am a fan of you and your most insightful commentary on immigration issues here. I was actually worried that my case may be on AP and I had to wait for the long haul without any information. It has been on READY since my interview on 6th December, 2018.

Could it be that the lapse in appropriation could impact the processing of DV Cases? I was interviewed in Accra. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my concerns.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.