Greg & Mary

Divorce Paperwork Question...

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

OK, we are finally very close to being able to send in my fiance'e's K-1 Submission.  I have a question, regarding my divorce paperwork.  

I thought I read somewhere that the copy had to be certified, or notarized, something like that?  I now can't seem to find this information?  I made copies at home, and they came out really well.  Do I need to go somewhere and have certified copies made (maybe at my bank??)?  I just want to be as sure as I can that this petition will go through as smoothly and quickly as possible.  

If someone with experience on this could please chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.  Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you all. :)

6 minutes ago, Greg & Mary said:

Hi everyone,

OK, we are finally very close to being able to send in my fiance'e's K-1 Submission.  I have a question, regarding my divorce paperwork.  

I thought I read somewhere that the copy had to be certified, or notarized, something like that?  I now can't seem to find this information?  I made copies at home, and they came out really well.  Do I need to go somewhere and have certified copies made (maybe at my bank??)?  I just want to be as sure as I can that this petition will go through as smoothly and quickly as possible.  

If someone with experience on this could please chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.  Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you all. :)

A bank cannot make certified copies of court documents.  Certified copy refers to a copy, signed in wet ink by a judge or clerk of the issuing court. 

I strongly recommend not sending photocopies.  Anything that could be falsified will likely lead to an RFE and delay your process.  Check with your county court on how to order a certified copy of the full divorce decree (not just the 'certificate' issued by some states). 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

A bank cannot make certified copies of court documents.  Certified copy refers to a copy, signed in wet ink by a judge or clerk of the issuing court. 

I strongly recommend not sending photocopies.  Anything that could be falsified will likely lead to an RFE and delay your process.  Check with your county court on how to order a certified copy of the full divorce decree (not just the 'certificate' issued by some states). 

The USCIS specifically says photocopies of original documents  except where an original is specifically required.  For an i129f there are no originals required

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

The USCIS specifically says photocopies of original documents  except where an original is specifically required.  For an i129f there are no originals required

We still sent certified copies of the full decrees.  The only copy I had before obtaining the certified copies was made before being signed by a judge, so I knew it would not be accepted.  Petition approved with no RFEs received.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

We still sent certified copies of the full decrees.  The only copy I had before obtaining the certified copies was made before being signed by a judge, so I knew it would not be accepted.  Petition approved with no RFEs received.

Of course, but it's not required and they even infer that they don't even want originals, because they go on to say in the instructions, that if you send an original that was not specifically requested, they will DESTROY the original. 

PS.  I sent photocopies of everything.  Approved no RFEs

YMMV

I went to the court and paid for a certified copy of my divorce judgement and sent a copy of all 34 pages, not just the last page with the judge’s signature.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Interesting topic and I have not received my NOA2 or RFE yet so dont know MY income....however in state of Mass in USA there is a 90day period from when the divorce is "granted" until it is official.  So the official date is 90days out and that comes with a one pager that says "final approved divorce"...this is seperate and different than the 45 page divorce decree (lots of assets and children, etc) that was submitted and approved.

I did NOT send in the 45 pages, just the Final Decree as that is a stand alone paper not part of the 45 pages

I will see if thats good enough when the time comes.  Fingers crossed

On 12/19/2018 at 7:30 PM, Greg & Mary said:

Hi everyone,

It's best to order one from the courthouse that has your decree on file. You can order a certified copy from the court house then copy that and send it in. ALL pages I might add. Sometimes they accept just the front and last pages, but to be on the safe side I'd send in the entire decree. It really depends on the adjudicator what he or she will accept.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Darn, the court is back in California (my ex-wife filed).  The judges "signature" is just a stamp with his name printed, but I believe that is fine.  I made copies that look very close to the original.  As it would be quite a hassle to get certified copies from Modesto, CA, is there any way that I could just send the originals that I received?  I know they say not to send them, but since it would be quite a hassle (if even possible, as I didn't file myself) to get certified copies, I am ok with having a copy on file for myself.  That way, the inspector(s) could be SURE that they are not falsified in any way.  Is that possible (sending the originals that I have), or will they automatically refuse to accept them, for some reason??

Thanks again for all of the assistance from you folks...

On 12/21/2018 at 10:13 AM, fluffykim said:

Interesting topic and I have not received my NOA2 or RFE yet so dont know MY income....however in state of Mass in USA there is a 90day period from when the divorce is "granted" until it is official.  So the official date is 90days out and that comes with a one pager that says "final approved divorce"...this is seperate and different than the 45 page divorce decree (lots of assets and children, etc) that was submitted and approved.

I did NOT send in the 45 pages, just the Final Decree as that is a stand alone paper not part of the 45 pages

I will see if thats good enough when the time comes.  Fingers crossed

I, too, got divorced in MA. I sent in copy of divorce nisi and decree not the contents of the agreement...which as you state it's quite a few pages even though we had no children/property/other assets.

10 hours ago, Greg & Mary said:

Darn, the court is back in California (my ex-wife filed).  The judges "signature" is just a stamp with his name printed, but I believe that is fine.  I made copies that look very close to the original.  As it would be quite a hassle to get certified copies from Modesto, CA, is there any way that I could just send the originals that I received?  I know they say not to send them, but since it would be quite a hassle (if even possible, as I didn't file myself) to get certified copies, I am ok with having a copy on file for myself.  That way, the inspector(s) could be SURE that they are not falsified in any way.  Is that possible (sending the originals that I have), or will they automatically refuse to accept them, for some reason??

Thanks again for all of the assistance from you folks...

They won't refuse them.  You just may not get them back.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

photo copies of the certified documents are fine. you will take originals to the interview.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.