peanutismint

NOA2 'Approved' for K-1 on 8th Nov, still no case number on 14th Dec. Should we email/call yet? Anything else I can be doing in the meantime?

8 posts in this topic

I got approved at the NOA2 stage for my K-1 visa on November 8th. I was under the impression a letter from the US embassy here in the UK should be dropping through my letter box a few weeks later but as of today (December 14th) nothing yet.

Should I continue to wait or make a call/email to the NVC? Will the letter be accompanied by an email or similar (given that we filled out the G-1145 form for email/text confirmation at the same time as the I-129f) or will that be the only thing they send? I'm 100% sure we put my correct mailing address on the I-129f form but just wanted to be sure.

Also, it feels like I'm sitting twiddling my thumbs while waiting for this - can I be doing anything else in the meantime? I've already submitted my DS-160, as well as got my ACRO police cert/immunisations for my medical, and my fiancé has filled in her affidavit of support form too, but is there anything else I can be doing to prepare while we wait for this case number or does everything from here onwards require that case number to be generated??

And finally - what's the average wait time from now (NOA2 about a month ago) to getting my K-1 visa? Could I be starting to plan moving out to the US from like end of January or around then?? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

the petitioner will receive a mailed copy of the NOA2.

It can take several weeks for a case # at NVC to be assigned, and several more for it to be sent to the consulate

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
13 hours ago, peanutismint said:

Should I continue to wait or make a call/email to the NVC? Will the letter be accompanied by an email or similar (given that we filled out the G-1145 form for email/text confirmation at the same time as the I-129f) or will that be the only thing they send? I'm 100% sure we put my correct mailing address on the I-129f form but just wanted to be sure.

You may call NVC to ask -

if they got the case from USCIS and when

if they assigned your LND number yet and if so, what is it. Write it down.

when the file left NVC to go to London

NVC notifies the K1 petitioner of the new case number and transfer to London (email I think)

London Embassy notifies beneficiary of new case number and case arrival in London (instruction letter)

13 hours ago, peanutismint said:

Also, it feels like I'm sitting twiddling my thumbs while waiting for this - can I be doing anything else in the meantime? I've already submitted my DS-160, as well as got my ACRO police cert/immunisations for my medical, and my fiancé has filled in her affidavit of support form too, but is there anything else I can be doing to prepare while we wait for this case number or does everything from here onwards require that case number to be generated??

Did you get your medical summary printout from your GP for Knightsbridge clinic?

Any further reports need to be written by GP concerning past conditions, surgeries, etc. 

Do you have documentation of MMR (2 in life), Tetanus/diptheria/Pertussis (Td within last 10 yrs), flu jab?

Medical questionnaire filled out?

Does police certificate say "No trace" ?

Once NVC gives you a verbal LND case number over the phone, you can call the clinic and make an appointment for medical. They will want that confirmed in writing on the day you go there. They say it should be your letter of instruction from the embassy. They will accept the NVC's notification that has the number on it or the CEAC case status (print from online) that has the number,  to verify the LND case number you told them over the phone when you called for you appointment.

Once you've made a medical appointment, go online and pick an interview date. Space apart at least two weeks. The fIve days between they say to allow has not been enough in 2018. Something changed when the new embassy opened last January. People are finding out at the interview that the medical report has not arrived. Everything will go smoother if your medical has arrived.  

14 hours ago, peanutismint said:

And finally - what's the average wait time from now (NOA2 about a month ago) to getting my K-1 visa? Could I be starting to plan moving out to the US from like end of January or around then?? 

Here's a few timelines of people over in the UK forum who are current/recent K1s in London. You might want to start reading in that forum .

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=287584

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=309157

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=295709

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=297285

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=272921

Thanks, all very useful info. 

My fiancée heard back from NVC tonight; she got a case number but still no letter or message from the embassy in London so I guess we will continue to wait, tho I can schedule my medical now I guess....

Will await the police check letter etc!

Timeline
6 hours ago, peanutismint said:

Thanks, all very useful info. 

My fiancée heard back from NVC tonight; she got a case number but still no letter or message from the embassy in London so I guess we will continue to wait, tho I can schedule my medical now I guess....

Will await the police check letter etc!

If you never get the letter of instruction from London, the ways around it have already been told to you in this thread.. The embassy never looks at it.

In case you haven't researched, the London letter of instruction tells you to get your instructions 

from the embassy website  https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

Start reading, clicking links, making lists for the medical and for the embassy appointment day. 

Of coursr you need the police certificate first. That should have been ordered in October. Your fiancé should have already mailed you the I-134 with documentation. 

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

If you never get the letter of instruction from London, the ways around it have already been told to you in this thread.. The embassy never looks at it.

In case you haven't researched, the London letter of instruction tells you to get your instructions 

from the embassy website  https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

Start reading, clicking links, making lists for the medical and for the embassy appointment day. 

Of coursr you need the police certificate first. That should have been ordered in October. Your fiancé should have already mailed you the I-134 with documentation. 

That link says to visit the appointment scheduling page and click "I have received a letter from the consular section with instructions to register or schedule a K visa appointment”, and so are you suggesting we click that even if we haven't received the letter and use the case number that we have?

My police check certificate is on its way as I only applied a week ago, but when I spoke to the medical people over the phone they said I didn't even need it in time for the medical as they could add it to my case after if it didn't arrive in time. As it is now I'll probably wait to have it in hand. My fiancée is here for Christmas and has brought the I-134 with her so hopefully we should be good to go 🙂

Timeline
1 hour ago, peanutismint said:

and so are you suggesting we click that even if we haven't received the letter and use the case number that we have?

Yes, when you get everything else in place and still don't have "the letter".  You don't need it.

BUT.... 

get your ducks in a row and avoid not having all needed in place for each appointment.  Do you have the health summary and immunisations documented by GP office? And put two weeks between medical and interview date despite website. Medical will not get to your embassy file in 5 days. Do not believe Knightsbridge nurse about anything future immigration related (AOS) concerning shots. Get the shots all done and signed off by exam day even if you pay for them there. Insist on it. Do not fall for "you can just go back to your GP and get them later". Immigration (USCIS)  will not accept anything from your doctor. You will pay a civil surgeon to sign off in the US ...hassle, new med exam, costly....

EDIT: Hey peanut, read the first post in this thread https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/692783-221g-for-missing-medical/

It's about the hundredth this year who thought their medical would easily arrive at the embassy in five days. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.